Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old September 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Question Mom mad at son

My female cat seems to have taken a dislike to her son since he's been back from the vet.He was at the vet for four days and when we brought him home he had a cone and she hissed at him I thought well the cone is freaking her out or maybe the strange smells Well he has been home for 2 weeks now , no cone now and she still hisses at him and yesterday swatted at him. Any ideas on what I can do to help or is it best to ignore and she will come around some time? Anyone else have this problem.
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

This is actually a common problem because she does not recognize him. Cats ascertain who people are very often by using smells and of course, her son - and your kitten - smells like the vet's place so naturally, this is a new smell to her.

You almost need to in a sense start over with the intros. There are some tricks of the trade tho - take a towel and wipe each one with it so they both have the same smells and alternately, you can neutralize the smells by dabbing a little vanilla extract under the chin of each cat or other strategic locations. They will come around but it is like two new cats- and she thinks this new one is barging into her territory - does not realize it's her baby!!

The next time you bring one to the vet, bring some of her smells -luike an old smelly towel or t shirt of youre or the cat's and keep it with one of them . That may lessen the problems if one of them is sat the vet for a protracted amt of time.

Good luck!
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I had to add - she is NOT mad at him - she just does not recognize him!!!!
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks cyberkitten I did think that since he has been home for 2 weeks he would have his own smell back but he is on meds still so maybe that is making him smell different. We did send him to the vet with his own towel but they changed it they also gave him 2 baths he wouldn't use the pellet type litter. I'll try some of your suggestions the vanilla one sounds good Thanks again ((((hugs))))
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM

Update

They are getting along now the towel trick worked thanks so much
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

What everyone said is correct. This happened to me the last time I boarded my cats. I asked they both be placed in the same place, but they separated them. Oksana kept hissing at Vlad for several hours after I bought them home. After a while they were both back to their playing.

Sounds like your problem is solved now though.
Old October 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't have ever thought that that would happen I know now though. Yes problem solved now, Asia is fairly highstrung but she is back to her tolerating Rocco lol