Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Thumbs down Dog in crate all day.... with family home

This infuriates me and I am looking for advice/suggestions what I can and should so.

I know someone who got a very young pup. The dog is kept in the crate all day long and is taken out only for short periods of time for a rigidly scheduled walk/playtime. She is then returned to her crate. I believe she has 2 or 3 daily "out of crate" times. The crate is kept in the BASEMENT in a room with the door CLOSED.

I am not against crate training and know the benefits to it. I know that a properly used crate can be a very comforting place for a dog. My problem is that this is a family with a stay at home Mom and 2 young kids, so this dog can hear her "family" all day long yet she cannot see them and she is isolated from them. :sad: Even in the evening after her husband comes home, the dog is ONLY out of her crate for her designated time then back in again.

I was questioning this lady (hoping that maybe the crate situation was temporary) and she told me the dog will be forever crated. I was over there once and I asked to see the dog so she took her out of the crate, allowed me to see her for about 2 minutes then put her right back in there. This pup was so well behaved (I think she was under 3 months old at that time) that it made me sad. She didnt try to jump at me, she just wiggled her bum and licked my hand excitedly and the lady grabbed her by the scruff of the neck , pulled her back, sharply told her NO and put her away.

Oh and by the way, the husband is a vet.

I don't feel right about knowing this and not doing anything, yet I am not sure what to do.