Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Introducing our new family member, Zara.

I'm sure that if Zara had been an inch or two shorter in height, she wouldn't be with us now. A lovely specimen from a (future) show home, impeccable breeding, however she's a big girl for a cattle dog, which is fine by us as we didn't wish to go back showing. She is, regardless of her lovely temperament where people, especially children are concerned, still on trial though, especially after she attacked one of my cats last night. I was sure she had mangled poor Sibi, but it was dark and I wasn't quick enough with the torch when she found him under the mulberry bush, luckily he came later when we called him and seems to be fine. Phew! What a relief! So far really good with the other dogs, and a gentle effectionate girl. She was delivered yesterday, on my husband's birthday, and there is a mutual liking there, so good present for him I thought.

One thing is for sure, this madam is off to Obedience classes ASAP.

I only have this photo the owner first sent to me, I'll be taking heaps though seeing she seems very photogenic. She will most likely be our last ACD. Perkins thinks she's wonderful btw.
Attached Images

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can see why Perkins is smitten! She's beautiful!!! Congrats on the new addition! Lucky hubby with such a girl to greet him on his birthday! Happy belated birthday to Mr GF!

Perhaps she's better with cats than you think if Sibi survived unscathed! Are you sure it was Sibi that she met up with?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

It looked like Sibi, Hazel, and either she didn't catch up to him in the dark, or she didn't actually bite him. Ian has bought Sibi in twice for inspection and we can't see a thing wrong. Now he knows there is a strange, and aggro dog on the place, he'll be more careful. The cats do generally keep away from my dogs and usually about half or more of the garden is a no go zone for my dogs anyway.
I'll pass on your birthday wishes to Ian, thank you. He was certainly not expecting to meet or get Zara yesterday, the guy only rang up just before leaving to come here. Maybe it was all meant to be.
Bo is totally in love with Zara, he likes his women with long legs and red hair. LOL.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Beautiful addition GF! love her face!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Beautiful addition GF! love her face!
Thanks. Her previous owner said that everyone loves her face, Winston. Looking at it with the Standard for the breed in mind though, I did think her muzzle could have been a tad longer. Her dentition is great though, no crowding, and she breathes okay. I don't want the longer muzzle for just looks, I have seen one short muzzled cattle dog girl that was panting with her tongue rolled up, like a Pug, on a day when mine weren't panting at all. She'd never have made a working dog and it's things like that that make me angry with breeders.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

GF I dont know the first thing about breeding or standards...just that she has a pretty face. I wouldnt know breed standard if it jumped out at me to be honest just have a love for animals.

I havent seen many of this breed here if at all??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Congrats Goldfields, she's a beaut!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Marko. I'm pretty thrilled to have her and will phone her breeder tonight to let him know she's with us, I'm sure he'd like to know what became of her. I can send him up some photo's also.
You are more likely to see blue/black and tan ACDs there, Winston, the reds aren't as popular. My heart bleeds for her, she is fretting for her previous owner. If I sit outside she'll jump up for a snuggle, then after a minute she starts to whine. It's what she'd do with him, and I am not him. Poor girl.
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Another couple of photo's of her.
Attached Images

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So pretty! How is she doing with the cats?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Senior Contributor

oh she is beautiful, congrats on the new member of your family.
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Melinda, I was going to say it's a pity she wasn't an inch smaller so I could show her but who am I kidding. I don't want those extra early rises to get to shows on time anymore.
Hazel, the cats haven't shown themselves when I've had her out. They never do even with the other dogs. They make up for that by following us everywhere if we're out there without any dogs.
Old September 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Pretty girl and such interesting colour. I don't think I've ever seen a real live ACD.

I find it heartening that the standard is observed so strictly for ACD. In my breed, Labrador Retrievers, it seems that the height and weight parts are glossed over and that was a bone of contention for me. I could not find a stud dog within the weight, let alone at the bottom of it. Dogs should be 60 to 75 lbs. Bitches 55 to 70 lbs.
Old September 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, your new girl is beautiful! I hope she settles in with the cats, and great to hear that Perkins is fond of her
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad you like her , DD. It is so nice that my dear old boy has the company of his own breed again, can't have him starting to think he's a sheltie, can we?
Longblades, she seems to change color depending on the light, or shade, but I love all shades of red. (Sunshine photo below.) Not so the Dog Ranger that I just spoke to, he told me they're more savage than the blues. Not the first person I've heard say that, and the worst attack on a human that I've heard of, I must admit, was by two reds. A friend of mine reckons "it's the 'ding' (dingo) in 'em" . LOL. He's going to love sweet Zara though . I just let him know she was here in case she escaped, her microchip details would trace back to her previous owner(till I deal with change of ownership forms) but he said if he finds one running loose , I'd be the first person he'd contact. LOL.
The height in our Standard is 17" to 19" for a female, 18" to 20" for a male. I could show her, nothing to stop me. Perkins I think would be just over 20" and was a Ch. more than 3 times over, so judges who loved him would love Zara also, but she's not good on the lead (obedience training should help there), I'd need a handler, or at least a runner, and it all seems a bit 'been there, done that', not sure I want to do it again. Her height might be her best asset seeing cattle dogs, possibly some through inbreeding too much, are getting smaller and smaller. We think it's easier to lose height than to increase it. The old stockmen in the early days wanted ACDs to be up to height, like a small thickset Dingo, and we prefer that as we sometimes put pups into working homes.
Just out of curiosity, why were you after a dog at the bottom end of the weight? Labs have a different purpose in life I know. Was it so there'd be less likelihood of joint problems?
Attached Images

Old September 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG GF she is gorgeous! I just love her sweet face.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GF, what a beautiful girl
I think it's wonderful that you got Perkins some company of his own. Though Perkins thinking he's a Sheltie could be kinda cute too

I just LOVE her color!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

She'd lick you all to death, which is great. Wouldn't it be awful to have one with a pretty face but a foul disposition, too deceiving, a recipe for disaster.

Robyn, Perkins does think little Silk is his bestest lady love and can't understand why she is intimidated by him. Doesn't matter that in his old age he's clumsy and stands on her long bushy tail. (sigh) LOL. The red of these dogs I think is a very cheery colour.
Now Zara is here I hope he forgets about my (speyed) shelties.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why were you after a dog at the bottom end of the weight? Labs have a different purpose in life I know. Was it so there'd be less likelihood of joint problems?
Our first Lab girl developed back problems which I just described in another thread this very morning. We had to do a lot of lifting, thank heavens she was at the low end of the standard at 56 lbs. We considered a smaller breed, a field bred English Springer Spaniel, like our first dog, but the OH wanted another Lab. I don't know why in Labs we like bench and in ESS we like field but such was the case. We did get a male Lab and at 68 lbs he is smaller than his Pop. I can lift him down from the jeep but I have to boost him up. If he lives at least as long as all my other dogs I wil be in my 70s at his death. He may not get a bad back but you probably end up having to lift and even carry your dog sometime in his life. I'd better start working out weight lifting I guess.
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Critter Lover

Congrats! What a beauty
When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes. TS Elliot
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Longblades, my own age was a factor too in whether I opted for a puppy or a young to medium aged adult too, but while I think I can cope with Zara, I also believe she is a potential cat killer and that complicates matters. I have a breeder friend who would probably take her on, because as she said, she has no sheep or cats, but I hate seeing dogs shunted from pillar to post. I'd like this to be her last home BUT she is dynamite where cats are concerned. I don't know what to do. My cats have as much right .... no, more right to live here peacefully.
I agree on that about maybe having to pick the dog up. I always said that if the time came when I couldn't pick up a cattle dog, I wouldn't own one.

I've been out in the cold to lock up a ewe that just lambed - freezing cold it is - so I think I'd better go to bed just to warm up again. It was a little ewe lamb by the way, a real cutie.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Longblades, my own age was a factor too in whether I opted for a puppy or a young to medium aged adult too, but while I think I can cope with Zara, I also believe she is a potential cat killer and that complicates matters. I have a breeder friend who would probably take her on, because as she said, she has no sheep or cats, but I hate seeing dogs shunted from pillar to post. I'd like this to be her last home BUT she is dynamite where cats are concerned. I don't know what to do. My cats have as much right .... no, more right to live here peacefully.
I agree on that about maybe having to pick the dog up. I always said that if the time came when I couldn't pick up a cattle dog, I wouldn't own one.

I've been out in the cold to lock up a ewe that just lambed - freezing cold it is - so I think I'd better go to bed just to warm up again. It was a little ewe lamb by the way, a real cutie.
Hope the wee lambie-pie has warmed up.

Our rescue ESS hated our cat. I would never have such a combination again. For 10.5 years the cat got the upstairs and the front yard, the dog the downstairs and the backyard. Fortunately the cat was very smart and the dog was very obedient.

Whisper only hated our cat. When I picked her up from a teeth cleaning at the Vet's one day I was horrified to hear they had her downstairs in a kennel with the two clinic cats. The kennel door was open and they were letting them be cozy together. !!! When they brought Whisper up and one cat came too I went to pet the cat and Whisper turned on it in a flash.

Now do I have it easy? Since Whisper, two dogs that get along with cats, even like cats. Nope. Now I have three cats and one beats another up so badly we have had big Vet bills. You just can't win sometimes. The cats have done more damage to each other than poor little Whisper ever did and it is much, much harder to keep them apart. Sigh. Good luck with Zara, it is a dilemna.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

We are getting cold Spring weather so that lamb has been left in a stable where the mum can go out into a yard for a pick of grass. It is okay, but one of my earlier singleton lambs has crashed so I had to give it antibiotics this morning. She's very flat so I don't know if she will survive. Poor baby but at least I'll be giving her a fighting chance, out in a big flock she'd be a goner for sure.

I'd have been very alarmed to see Whisper with the cats. She sounds like a red ACD I had in the past, Candy, or Dolly Dog as we sometimes called her. Lovely friendly girl, good with all my other dogs, okay if the cat was on the ground right beside her, but if you tried to pick the cat up, she'd go nuts. Ian came in one day with his hands bleeding, he'd made that mistake! The cat was unharmed from memory.
Yes, but what to do with Zara? I guess I could simply take her outside on the lead and check the cats aren't about before I let her loose. Perhaps I shouldn't judge her until we do some obedience training too? She is a sensitive bitch , really takes any chastising to heart so there may be hope for her. I am well aware we can't take any risks.
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Perkins amused me the other day, he took to licking out and nibbling gently on Zara's ear. Ain't love grand?
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Well GF, you know what they say "blow in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere..." I think Perkins has heard that expression somewhere! He's so sweet! I hope it works out with Zara, it wuold be a shame to break Perkins' heart...
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Must say I'm very impressed with her, DD. She has inherited Susie's Weatherbeata dog coat and wasn't at all concerned when I put it on her. I found out tonight she has just been an outdoor dog, so she must be appreciating being inside now on these cold nights. One could wonder if the silly sheep in the second photo is what she was watching( - but it wasn't. ) Poor ewe might have been watching me teach Zara to sit . They're very uncomfortable this close to lambing. I've got weird animals, this sheltie pair were doing their impression of book ends.
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Zara and Perkins are so cute together! Zara is stunning in her new coat. I do hope it works out for the two lovebugs

That ewe looks mighty preggers! I thought they'd all lambed already. How long is the lambing season?

Old September 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

The red kids do make a nice couple, don't they? Zara arrived here on my husband's birthday so both he and Perkins feel like they've had a lovely present given to them. I think her previous owner considers it silly to put coats on dogs but I didn't see Zara complaining about it.
The ram was with the ewes for 17 weeks. I have another 6 ewes to lamb, with doubts about only 1 being in lamb and she could just be going to be late. That ewe in the photo is struggling, I think she is carrying twins and is now very close to lambing(I hope). Sitting up like that must move them into a more comfortable position maybe. She came up to within 6 feet of me this morning and sat like that, I felt it was a plea for help. Short of giving her a trip up and down a bumpy road in a trailer though, it's all up to her.
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

Congratulation GF. She sure is a beautiful girl. Love her markings.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

She's the first one I've had with a single eye patch, Dee-O-Gee - and a cheek patch - I like it too. I'm really enjoying that she's not a puppy, wrecking everything. No trip to Obedience today, instead I had to keep an eye on an ex bottle fed orphan lamb/now a ewe, and she didn't disappoint, twins again.