Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM

lateral collateral ligament surgery

Hello - I am new to this board so I am sorry if this subject has been addressed before. My 9 year old beagle/heeler mix Ruby had TPLO surgery in February of this year and was healing well. In July, our lab accidentally ran into her and ruptured the lateral collateral ligament of the same leg. She had surgery on the leg today and the vet put in some nylon to stablilize the joint. I am wondering if anyone has had a dog go through a similar surgery and if so what the aftercare and physical therapy will be like. The surgeon said she would not need to be crated and she would start using it as she was comfortable so I am unsure what, if any restrictions I should apply. After the TPLO surgery she was crated almost constantly for 8 weeks.

Also, any tips on keeping this (ruptured ligaments) from happening to her good leg? Other than controlling our rambunctious lab, of course.

Thanks for any advice - I enjoy reading the forum.

Barb
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca!!

Unless she was overactive during her recuperation from the TPLO and put undue strain on the injured knee I think the ligament tear was likely just a freak accident rather than anything related to the TPLO.

The nylon suturing brings the two ends of the ligament together so that they form a bridge of scar tissue which through collagenization eventually turns into cartilage. Exercise is preferable to immobilization to prevent the ligament from atrophying away from the bone which would further decrease it's tensile strength.

Personally, I would stay away from running and jumping for the first six weeks and allow short walks building up to longer walks as per her tolerance. If you have a therapy pool with a treadmill in your area so much the better as that is something you could start right away.

I'm sure your Vet has told you this but it bears repeating ~ dogs who have had an ACL tear are more likely to tear the other ACL within a few years. You may want to eliminate games which require hair-pin turns and excessive running and jumping from your dog's exercise regime. With that said however, my Ceili experienced her second ACL rupture just gently trotting along.
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry can't offer any advice, just for quick healing and future good health.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM

You're probably already giving supplements, but if not, I would suggest Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supps. And I'd second the part about staying away from jumping exercises. I think my GSD tore her ACL playing frisbee......and until I end up with a dog that will wait for a frisbee to come down rather than trying to meet the frisbee 10 feet off the ground in the air....frisbee's are banned at our house.
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the response

I really appreciate being able to hear from some of you who have been through similar situations. I brought Ruby home today and the vet recommended crating her until the stitches come out in 2 weeks. Since I don't have access to a treadmill or physical therapy pool, I will start taking her on short walks gradually building up to longer distances like I did after the TPLO. I think you are right that it was a freak thing that this ligament ruptured which is a shame since her recovery from the TPLO was going so well. But, I am optimistic that she can get back to the point where we can walk together everyday - we both get so much joy out of that time spent together.

Thanks again for your comments and well wishes!
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM
-

You're most welcome Barbbell ~ but uh... you do realize that uh... well, uh... there's a charge for this sort of thing. Normally we're quite expensive but for YOU we'll make a ONE TIME ONLY exception and take in lieu of our fees, pictures of your beautiful Ruby !
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:58 AM

How to post pics

I would love to share pics of Ruby and Bubba but I cannot figure out how to post them. I am a digital immigrant. Is there somewhere I can find directions?
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
-

here's one of the stickies: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24119 There are other tips in the Photography forum.
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I just posted some tiny pics on the introduction forum. I will check out the link you sent - thanks!