Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM

How to Save a choking dog!!

This is VITAL information that every dog owner should have. Please, bookmark this page and/or print yourself a copy.

http://www.the-happy-dog-spot.com/choking-dog.html

Knowing how to help a choking dog is a basic – and critical – aspect of dog first aid. Dogs can choke on food, toys, or any number of things they put in their mouths. They can also choke on their own vomit.

Dogs use their mouths for much more than just eating; they use their mouths much like humans use their hands.

You can usually find dogs walking around with something in their mouths, and because of this, there is plenty of opportunity for objects to become lodged in their throats, which can suddenly turn into a choking emergency.

If your dog is choking, seconds can mean the difference between life and death, so it’s vital that you know what to do.

Signs of a choking dog:

* He acts anxious or frantic
* He stops breathing
* His gums turn blue or white
* He’s making loud breathing sounds
* He’s pawing at his mouth
* He’s struggling or gasping for breath

If your pet displays any of the signs of a choking dog, follow these steps:

1. Open his mouth and sweep your finger inside to see if you can feel the object. If you can feel the object, pull his tongue forward and manually remove it (including if it’s vomit), paying careful attention not to push it further into his throat.
2. If you can not manually dislodge the object, the next step is to perform abdominal thrusts on the dog (similar to the human Heimlich maneuver). Wrap your arms around the dog, under his ribcage. Make a fist with one hand and place your other hand over the fist. Give five rapid abdominal thrusts, lifting your fist inward and upward with each thrust. If the dog is small enough, you can lift him up by the front legs and position him so that his spine is against your chest. Then, wrap your arms around him under the ribs with your hands in the position described above. Begin thrusting. If he is too large to lift, you can stand behind him or next to him. If you’re standing behind him, bend over, wrapping your arms around him, under the ribs, with your hands positioned as described above and thrust inward and upward under the ribs. If the dog is lying down, position his head and neck in a neutral position. Place the palms of your hands below his ribcage and give five rapid thrusts in an inward and upward motion.
3. Check his mouth (you can use a small flashlight to help you see better) to see if the object has been dislodged. If possible, remove it.
4. If the object is still lodged, move on to the next step. If you can lift the dog, hold him in the air by the hips, with his head hanging down towards the floor to try to dislodge the object. If he is too big to pick up, lift his hind legs in the air like a wheelbarrow, again so his head is hanging down towards the floor.
5. Once again check his mouth and, if possible, remove the object.
6. If the object is still lodged in the dog’s throat, use the palm of your hand to give him five sharp blows between his shoulder blades.
7. Once again, check his mouth, sweeping it with your finger to dislodge the object if possible.
8. If the item is still not dislodged and the dog has lost consciousness, you will need to begin giving him “rescue breaths” (mouth-to-nose or mouth-to-mouth breathing, depending on the dog’s size). To give rescue breaths to a dog less than 30 pounds, place your mouth over the dog’s entire snout (nose and mouth) and exhale until you see his chest rise. For dogs over 30 pounds, gently hold his muzzle (mouth) closed and place your mouth over his nose. Gently exhale until you see his chest rise. Give five rescue breaths followed by five quick abdominal thrusts. Note: DO NOT attempt giving rescue breaths on a conscious animal. You could get bitten!
9. Once again, check the dog’s mouth and attempt to dislodge the object.
10. Stop the abdominal thrusts once the object is dislodged.
11. Perform CPR if necessary.
12. Immediately take the dog to your veterinarian or nearest emergency clinic.

Please take the time to learn how to administer first aid on a choking dog. His life may depend on it.

In fact, why not take the time right now to print this information and put it where you can easily access it in case of an emergency? Your furry friend will thank you for it!

Note: Remember to always be careful when attempting to administer first aid to an injured, sick or choking dog, in order to avoid being bitten.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great info, Capt. Jack!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentsBabe View Post
Thank you, Capt. Jack!

I have a few questions...

Would we use similar amount of pressure as we would on a human? Or does that depend on the size of the dog?

If the dog has say a ball lodged, would the breathing be enough to get passed it? If not, what do we do? Would we repeat the "Heimlich" or the shoulder blade pounding? Both?

Knowing me, I'd REALLY panic at that point and call 9-1-1.
I would imagine it would depend on the size of the dog much like you would use different amounts of pressure on toddlers then you would an adult.

As for your second question - I don't know. Personally, I think I would do both. I also think that by that point, I would hope to be doing it in the backseat of a car while hurrying to the nearest vet's office.
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
This is VITAL information that every dog owner should have. Please, bookmark this page and/or print yourself a copy.

http://www.the-happy-dog-spot.com/choking-dog.html

Knowing how to help a choking dog is a basic – and critical – aspect of dog first aid. Dogs can choke on food, toys, or any number of things they put in their mouths. They can also choke on their own vomit.

Dogs use their mouths for much more than just eating; they use their mouths much like humans use their hands.

You can usually find dogs walking around with something in their mouths, and because of this, there is plenty of opportunity for objects to become lodged in their throats, which can suddenly turn into a choking emergency.

This is why when you get a new dog or puppy you need get the dog used to being touch all over their whole body and be able to open their mouths and take food out of it without the dog trying to bite you. You need to be able to put your hands into your dogs mouth safely , to remove objects when they're cocking.

If your dog is choking, seconds can mean the difference between life and death, so it’s vital that you know what to do.

Signs of a choking dog:

* He acts anxious or frantic
* He stops breathing
* His gums turn blue or white
* He’s making loud breathing sounds
* He’s pawing at his mouth
* He’s struggling or gasping for breath

If your pet displays any of the signs of a choking dog, follow these steps:

1. Open his mouth and sweep your finger inside to see if you can feel the object. If you can feel the object, pull his tongue forward and manually remove it (including if it’s vomit), paying careful attention not to push it further into his throat.
2. If you can not manually dislodge the object, the next step is to perform abdominal thrusts on the dog (similar to the human Heimlich maneuver). Wrap your arms around the dog, under his ribcage. Make a fist with one hand and place your other hand over the fist. Give five rapid abdominal thrusts, lifting your fist inward and upward with each thrust. If the dog is small enough, you can lift him up by the front legs and position him so that his spine is against your chest. Then, wrap your arms around him under the ribs with your hands in the position described above. Begin thrusting. If he is too large to lift, you can stand behind him or next to him. If you’re standing behind him, bend over, wrapping your arms around him, under the ribs, with your hands positioned as described above and thrust inward and upward under the ribs. If the dog is lying down, position his head and neck in a neutral position. Place the palms of your hands below his ribcage and give five rapid thrusts in an inward and upward motion.
3. Check his mouth (you can use a small flashlight to help you see better) to see if the object has been dislodged. If possible, remove it.
4. If the object is still lodged, move on to the next step. If you can lift the dog, hold him in the air by the hips, with his head hanging down towards the floor to try to dislodge the object. If he is too big to pick up, lift his hind legs in the air like a wheelbarrow, again so his head is hanging down towards the floor.
5. Once again check his mouth and, if possible, remove the object.
6. If the object is still lodged in the dog’s throat, use the palm of your hand to give him five sharp blows between his shoulder blades.
7. Once again, check his mouth, sweeping it with your finger to dislodge the object if possible.
8. If the item is still not dislodged and the dog has lost consciousness, you will need to begin giving him “rescue breaths” (mouth-to-nose or mouth-to-mouth breathing, depending on the dog’s size). To give rescue breaths to a dog less than 30 pounds, place your mouth over the dog’s entire snout (nose and mouth) and exhale until you see his chest rise. For dogs over 30 pounds, gently hold his muzzle (mouth) closed and place your mouth over his nose. Gently exhale until you see his chest rise. Give five rescue breaths followed by five quick abdominal thrusts. Note: DO NOT attempt giving rescue breaths on a conscious animal. You could get bitten!
9. Once again, check the dog’s mouth and attempt to dislodge the object.
10. Stop the abdominal thrusts once the object is dislodged.
11. Perform CPR if necessary.
12. Immediately take the dog to your veterinarian or nearest emergency clinic.

Please take the time to learn how to administer first aid on a choking dog. His life may depend on it.

In fact, why not take the time right now to print this information and put it where you can easily access it in case of an emergency? Your furry friend will thank you for it!

Note: Remember to always be careful when attempting to administer first aid to an injured, sick or choking dog, in order to avoid being bitten.
I was outside with my hearing dog and he must had pick up a pod from a tree thinking it was a ball. He had his head down and was chocking but I could not hear him ! Finlay was able to cough the pod up own his own. I felt horrible not knowing my dog was choking.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I was throwing a tennis ball for my last dog, Finlay and he ran over to get it and Finlay started to hold his head down, I was not sure what was wrong until he coughed up a pod that fell a tree. He picked up the pod thinking it was a ball too. I could not hear my poor dog choking and it was very upsetting . I have to really watch Marty when he tried to pick anything up of the ground. I will learn have to read my dog body language to know when he is choking.
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Thanks for sharing. Who knows how many dogs it might save so it's probably worth sharing it.