Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Teaching Dogs to Recognize Objects

I know there's been previous threads regarding what other commands to teach your dog but I was wondering if anyone can give specific directions on how to teach your dog to do certain commands.

Chloe (16 month old lab) can already do the basic ones - sit, lie down, stay, roll over, catch, come here, crawl, kiss. Here are some of the commands I am interested in teaching Chloe.

1. Recognize (i.e. point to, put a paw on) a specific object;
2. Bring that object to me'
3. Sit and balance on two hide legs (if possible for labs)

I think that's about all unless any other lab/ retriever owners know of cool tricks to teach. If you do, I'd appreciate steps on how to get your dog to do it.

In advance, thanks to everyone's feedback. I have to say, reading the posts from others on this forum has helped me teach Chloe the basic commands.

Thanks again!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

My lab/border collie mix was able to sit up and beg, but it may take some time for a large dog to figure out its center of gravity. I supported her front legs with my arm at first, as I encouraged her to sit up and reach a yummy treat.

~LM~
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesuoft
1. Recognize (i.e. point to, put a paw on) a specific object;
2. Bring that object to me'
3. Sit and balance on two hide legs (if possible for labs)

I think that's about all unless any other lab/ retriever owners know of cool tricks to teach. If you do, I'd appreciate steps on how to get your dog to do it.
1. Teach her the command "show me"... She needs to know the name of at least one object and you need to be able to direct her to retrieve that specific object in sight with 100% reliability! If she can do that, then she should have no problems learning to do it out-of-sight. I would have her watch you put the object out-of-sight and tell her to fetch/find it - if she goes directly to where you hid it, say "show me" and then have her sit.

Oops, I just realize that #2 had to do with fetching!! I assume she doesn't know how to fetch on command yet - I wrote about the steps here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24368

3. I call it "sit pretty"... I don't see why I lab can't learn this...Although the previous poster is right - it can take a while for a dog to learn to balance himself! I attempted to teach this trick at 6 months old and it was impossible! I had to wait until Dodger has better coordination at about 17 months. Anyway, I just lured him into position and as he improved, I just delayed the reward a little longer...

I am not a lab/retriever owner but I've done a lot of trick training with my Dodger (65lbs American Foxhound - not as big as your lab but not small!)...some of his tricks are agility related like jumping over my leg, weaving through my legs or doing a figure 8 around my legs...He also knows how to find and retrieve any object (coins, telephone, food etc...); he can hold food in his mouth or balance it one his nose and catch it; he knows "show me", the "achoo" trick (where he gets a kleenex when I sneeze); he can me a drink from the fridge; he knows directional commands (left and right), how to spin etc... If you are interested in learning something specific just ask!

Dodger knows how to target (a stick, my hand and ceramic tile) which makes most tricks easier to teach!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

We call # 3 'Be a Bear" - some dogs can learn it in mintues. Just besure they are sitting square, then raise the lure just over their nose - not too high up or they will stand or jump to get it - and reward any effort to reach it with soft praise. You can help them balance if they need it but if you start with a square sit then they should be well balanced to start. The hand signal we use is simply a finger pointing up.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended