Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Lucy's daddy

Shih-Tzu-Poodle(Shipoo!)

If any of you have a link to information about this mix please let me know.

I have question regarding the capacity of their brain and how smart they can be compared to other breeds/mixes. I also would like to know how big I should expect my puppy to get.

She's 10 weeks old weighing 2.5lbs at the moment. I've heard they don't go past 6-7 pounds. Is that true?

What other major behaviors should I focus on when it comes to Shipoos?

Thanks in advance

here's a pic of her:
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Rottie owner and lover

no idea since it is not a breed. Each puppy is different, each puppy will grow different. One can take on more of mom, while the other can take more of dad. It is a shot in the dark.
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Agree with Rottielover. Since you don't even know if the "Poodle" part is Miniature or Toy Poodle, size is going to be quite the mystery. Your best bet would be to research the breed characteristics for all three (Miniature Poodle, Toy Poodle and Shih Tzu) just to have some idea what you might be dealing with. But I wouldn't put too much store in that, since the person who bred your cute little puppy probably didn't pay any attention to temperment or breed standards, so you really are dealing with an unknown.

As for intelligence, it would depend on what you're looking for. Intelligence and trainability are two very different things. I'm going out on a limb here to say that I believe most dogs, regardless of breed or mix, are fully capabable of dealing with whatever the average owner asks of them. So, unless you're looking for a very specialized talent, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You have a very, very cute puppy there, by the way!
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM

I agree with the above. Because this dog is a mutt, even if you know the breeds mated, you can't accurately predict any characteristics like personality traits, size or intelligence. You might get more traits of one breed than the other, a somewhat equal mix of both breeds or you might get a sort of hybrid of both that will lead to completely unexpected traits. You'll just have to wait and see.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM

What a cute little pup!

My Charley is a shih tzu mixed with a pomeranian... also known as the small-fluffy-mutt-dog. He was about the same weight at that age and is now (at a year) around 12 lbs some of which might be extra ) because the cold makes long walks impossible.

From experience, you're going to want to start getting the dog used to being brushed and groomed right away, if you haven't started already. There is a posting somewhere here on dog brushes (the posting was from a schnauzer owner but the brushes are pretty much the same). You'll also want to get the dog used to wearing clothing and boots and having its nails cut.

Behaviors to focus on are the small-dog complex. You'll want to sign the dog up for group puppy school and I would suggest keeping the dog in classes until its a year old. You're especially going to want to make sure that the dog isn't running the house and a good trainer can help with that. Don't carry the dog around, let it walk and explore. Don't shelter the dog from other dogs (nice ones of course) or small kids. Let the dog learn that there's nothing in the world to be afraid of, that it'll never have a reason to defend itself because you'll be there to do that for it. Invest in a good flat collar and 6 ft leash. Don't get a retractable leash, get a couple of 20ft lunge lines at the dollar store if you don't have a fenced yard.

The dog is probably smart, your big concern should be making sure its not smarter that you! As for trainable, depends on if the dog thinks your boss...
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM

From Sandnesviking

Hi there:

I have a shih tzu crossed with a toy poodle - she is now coming on 4 years old, very smart! She weighs about 12 pounds - give or take. One of the traits that you might see is that when you give her treats she will go around in circles and you can teach her to "dance" on two feet, very cute! they are also a very lovable breed. have fun and she is one cute puppy!!
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush
I have question regarding the capacity of their brain and how smart they can be compared to other breeds/mixes.
I'm sorry but I have to say this... the dogs brain capacity has nothing to do with it's ability to learn. Basically the dog is only as smart or well trained as the owner lets it be. So basically I would say "Dogs are smarter than the person on the end of the leash at all times".
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi there she looks like a doll.

I have two Shih Tzu crosses and one purebred Shih Tzu and they are all very different from each other.
As far as size goes it all depends on the size of the parents and the size of the parents parents. The Shih Tzu can easily reach the 16 to 20 pound size. Poodles also come in quite a size range.
I'd think from the size she is know that she won't be too big
Lacey is a Chi cross and has many typical Chi traits. Cocoa is young yet, but with Buster(PB) to contrast her with, I think she takes after her Bichon side.
Enjoy, your baby looks darling.

Spelling is an option
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM

where did you get your puppy? someone you know breeded?
I have never heard of this kind of dog.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Rottie owner and lover

it is not a real breed, technically it is a high priced mutt, and there is nothing wrong with the mix, just the people breeding them for lots of money.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no way to know what she will be like - since that is not a designated breed but if you know the background at least three three generations back, you MIGHT have some notion of her temperment and medical issues. However, if she has medicxal issues, she should not have been sold. I hope you did not pay a lot of money for her since there are so many cuties similar to her at our local SPCA and other rescues. If you bought her from a back yard breeder or puppymill, she may have all kinds of problems. People who sell these so called designer mutts are backyard breeders since the dog is not a breed per se. If you adopted her from a Rescue, you may at least have recieved some info about her temperment or any info they may have gathered from whoever surrendered her or her mama.

Poodles are gteat dogs but I know nothing about the other breed and there is really no scientific evidence on the two together. Sometimes instead of the best of the both breeds as these alledged breeders suggest you are getting, you get the reverse. But she surely is cute and I hope you have some of the best qualities of both. I only know poodles and my poodle - who was from a champion line - which was the only reason he could be sold - (tho he was a gift to me from a breeder friend of my grandmother's) - was smart, very healthy (was rarely ill except for one time he scarcthed himself on something and made it worse and like a child, scracthed and scratched it some more. I had to stay up all nite with him to make sure he would be otherwise occupied and not take off the bandage the vet placed on it and VERY playful. Some ppl claim poodles are "yappy" but mine was not a yapper at all. He would bark on occasion of course but did not bark if he recognized the person at the door. He cou;d be excitable though and if he saw my grandfather for example (who considered himself my dog's grandfather), he would wag his tail and jump on the chair by the wondow - he knew grandpa would be bringing a treat.

I have no idea about the other breed nor how the genes of the two interact or are well together. Even as a biochemist, I could not even guess. There is NO way to know. The best you can do is bring her up with lots of love and good bahviour training techniques!

Good luck!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a shih tzu and he is about 9 and half pounds and a wonderful temperament. My last dog was a shih tzu (but most likely a shih-tzu cross) and he was 17 pounds and very very ornery.

There's no way to know. Just like with children. My first was 6 pounds 14 ounces, blond hair, blue eyes, very fair. Easy going personality. My second was 8 pounds, 6 ounces, black hair, dark eyes, dark complexion. Same parents. (Honest! )

You just can't predict.

I know two families that have "cock-a-poos". One is pretty big. A medium sized dog. I'm guessing at least 30 pounds. The other is just ten pounds. Their fur is similar but their faces are not.

Your baby is adorable. Have fun getting to know her. It's an adventure.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree re humans you cannot predict entirely but biochemically, our society is engaging in research that my own moral compass questions. Like ppl deciding what gender to have or the Chinese basketball star who plays for one of the teams in Taxas (are there 2?, I am not an NBA fan so am unsure of the exact team). He was specifically conceived by the govt to create an elite basketball star - not sure we could accomplish that here in a less totalitarian society (This was planned during the Chinese Cultural revolution and his parents were both elite basketball players and as you know, the Chinese tend to be less tall than Anglo Saxons so some Chinese scientists actually deided to "plan" this child so he would become an elite player - it was an experiment of sorts. There are other examples of course, the company that clones cats for one - and interestigly, while the researchers, promoters and people who have their cats cloned claim their new kittens are similar in behaviour to the animal they were cloned from. To paraphase an infamous novel, it's a brave new world.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:25 AM
Lucy's daddy

Thank you all for the replies.

Lucy and her 4 brothers were all accidents as I hear. A friend's friend decided to move to Europe with her 5 year old Shih-tzu a few months ago until she found out that her dog was pregnant. Not knowing what to do she contacted the vet and was adviced to wait until the puppies were born as their fate would become unknown if she moved to Greece.

She waited 4 months until the puppies were about 8 weeks old. The owner of the poodle who was the father of these puppies adopted 2 of the boys. Fortunately the vet managed to find 2 homes for the other two boys, but Lucy was too adorable to be let go and the owner decided to take the mother and Lucy to Europe.

At the same time I was looking for a puppy who was a Shih-tzu mix. My friend let me know of this story and I originally went to get one of the males. When she told me Lucy was the only one left and that she was being taken along I offered the lady $200 for her. She did not agree and I left in disappointment.

2 weeks later the lady called me and said she was unable to take any of the dogs due to personal reasons. The mother was staying with the lady's parents but the puppy needed a home. I became so happy thinking that I had a free puppy! The lady said she wanted to make sure Lucy would be taken care of like an angel and wanted $1000 deposit for her which could be returned in 2 years if Lucy was still living with me! After a series of talks and trying to convince her that Lucy was in good hands she gave me the puppy for the original $200 but I gave her $400 so she could buy extra toys and treats for the mother Shih-tzu and give them to her parents(elderly people living on pension).

Lucy has been an absolute angel. She sleeping at the tip of my feet right now snoring like a baby! It'll be years full of memories with her from now on!

Thanks folks!