Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Things are still a'hummin' at Hazel Run...

(I hope you can download these, Chris! )

Welcome to the Hazel Run Hummingbird Garden.
Name:  Hummingbird garden 8-10-09 A1.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  89.3 KB

Right now it's a really busy place. The nectar restaurants are open all day
and it's taking over a gallon (~4 liters) a day to satisfy all the customers.
The feeding station is nestled under a pine. The birds stage themselves in the tree and wait for a table to open up

Name:  Hummer in the pine 8-8-09 A1.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  80.4 KB Name:  Hummer in the pine 8-8-09 E1.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  65.5 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 12th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Now that the Hazel Run Daddy has found the triple-capacity feeders,
the Hazel Run Mama isn't running herself quite so ragged filling feeders.
Plus, the larger feeders have 6 ports instead of 4, so we can accommodate more customers at any one time!

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-7-09 L2.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-6-09 V.JPG
Size:  84.4 KB Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-7-09 J1.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  80.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Of course, since the HRM isn't filling feeders constantly,
she has time to try out her new camera at the restaurants.

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 7-29-09 B2.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  79.7 KB Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-8-09 G1.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  76.6 KB

Some of the customers prefer the organic menu

Name:  Hummer at the phlox 8-9-09 C1.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  78.9 KB

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel those are just awesome pics! God I would love that camera too! Its a Nikon right? Love the close ups!

I could only pray to see 1 hummingbird in my life and it was many years ago way up North!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sometimes the patrons sit still...

Name:  Hummer 8-8-09 O2.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  65.1 KB Name:  Hummer 8-8-09 K1.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  70.3 KB

...sometimes they don't...

Name:  Hummers 8-8-09 B1.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  66.2 KB

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

...but they're always fascinating to watch!

Name:  Hummer 8-8-09 B2.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  Hummers 8-8-09 A2.JPG
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-6-09 K2.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  61.4 KB

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-6-09 H1.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 8-6-09 G1.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeder 8-6-09 B1.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  64.0 KB

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 7-28-09 D1.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 7-28-09 A3.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  Hummer at the feeder 8-4-09 B.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  62.7 KB

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Hazel those are just awesome pics! God I would love that camera too! Its a Nikon right? Love the close ups!
Oooops...sorry, Winston...wasn't ignoring you--fighting with a balky connection, more like!

Yes, it's a Nikon D90 DSLR. I'm just learning the in-camera editing features, and getting into some of the manual adjustments. Unfortunately, as you can see, I'm going a bit shutter-crazy....

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow! Woderful pics!! I love hummers. We have one that starts his rounds early here. Somewhere around 5:30 AM you see him at the hostas. Beautiful pictures!!
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, 14+. Lots of good subject matter helps

I don't even know what time they start! The feeders are always busy by the time I make my way to the window.

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM

So many gorgeous pics That camera is awesome

I'm surprised at the Hummers sitting still I've never seen that before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, growler. I wish you could see the pics full-size! Most of these are tight crops.

The hummers sit a lot. It's like any restaurant--when there's a crowd, you have to wait in the lobby.

Old August 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
-

Yup got 'em Hazel - I went to do dishes and knew what I would come back to, first few came in then a bunch of "red x's" but I persevered

One thing I have noticed is that the majority of the Hummers are females, not only in this batch but in your previous postings......hmmmm

Oh so nice to have a good camera....lucky woman
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Actually, there are quite a few males there, Chris--but the young-of-the-year all look like females. This time of year, the adults are all migrating, leaving the local nectar sources to their young.

Some young males have light barring on the throat, like in the first pic on post #8. But I usually look at the length of the bill. If you reversed the bill and poked it through the head () if it would poke out the backside of the head, the bird is probably female. A bill that is shorter in proportion would indicate a male. I have no way of proving this is true in the young-of-the-year, but it's a reliable way of telling a male from a female adult (and easily checkable because of the obvious differences in adult birds ). So even in near dark, with the birds in silhouette, you can tell males from females.

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The hummers sit a lot. It's like any restaurant--when there's a crowd, you have to wait in the lobby.
Silly birds...they should call you and make reservations!

Oh Hazel...these pictures are absolutely stunning. and I am so jealous that you have all them little guys there!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I brought down a feeder just before dark and stood out there a while communing with the hummers. It seemed to be mostly the local young, cuz they were crowding me close. One even touched my hand.

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel - wow! That is so amazing! You are so lucky to have so many feeding there, although I realize that is a lot of work to keep them happy.

We have a feeder and see one, and on occasion two at a time - it always thrills me.

Great photos! Good job!

Diane
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, Diane.

Today was a bit more of a challenge--we had almost 4 inches of rain last night and it got into the feeders and diluted the sugar solution (I could taste that it was weaker). I had to refill all the feeders under the frantic urging of dozens of hummers...and then spent the rest of the day making enough nectar to fill them all again by afternoon and have a little left for the morning.

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh dear Madame! Where on earth do you find all that energy?

No wonder you have all the hummers cause you're such an to them.

At least you have some nectar left for the morning and they don't have to make reservations.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

For a while I thought I'd lost them--they were ticked off that the meals were so watered down. But they had all forgiven me by the afternoon and managed to suck down another several cups of nectar.

Old August 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Our shelter, we just drove a humming bird to Toronto Wildlife Center the other day.

ACO22
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Our shelter, we just drove a humming bird to Toronto Wildlife Center the other day.

ACO22
What was wrong with it, ACO? It's pretty unusual for something as small as a hummer to end up needing a wildlife center. There's one out here now that has a wound on its chest. I have no idea what caused it, but it's a pretty long scar. It seems to be healing--I just hope he heals in time to finish his migration :sad: I see him sleeping in the sun on the fence...when he's awake, he sways a bit, but his flight is strong and he feeds from both feeders and flowers. for the little guy!

Not that they can't get into trouble in other ways... A few years ago, an Anna's hummingbird somehow made its way to Milwaukee WI, of all places It showed no inclination to migrate south for the winter. There are indoor horticultural gardens in town at the Mitchell Domes, so they brought it there for the winter. The following spring they sent it to Texas, much closer to its normal home, by private plane.

Some hummers are more widely traveled than hazel is!