Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM
~Cat Servent~

Buddy off to the vets today....

Earlier in the week I noticed a lump on his right hip, so I trimmed his fur there and noticed what looked to be a claw sized puncture, so I've been keeping an eye on it all week. Today it seems a lot larger and not defined anymore (the lump- the puncture is all healed up)....and he growls and hisses when I touch or even lightly pet him there....so we are off to the vets to see what's goin on later this afternoon. I'm hoping it's just a little infection or bruising...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like it might be an abcess? Hope the vet can get him all cleaned up and on the road to recovery! Is Buddy a good traveller?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Catlover2

I agree with hazelrunpack, sounds like an abscess to me too. The vet may lance it to drain the pus, and then will likely give him antibiotics for the infection. I'm assuming he's an indoor/outdoor cat? Unfortunately, this is what happens when cats get into fights outside. It would be better for your $$$ and your cat if you can keep him indoors.
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
I agree with hazelrunpack, sounds like an abscess to me too. The vet may lance it to drain the pus, and then will likely give him antibiotics for the infection. I'm assuming he's an indoor/outdoor cat? Unfortunately, this is what happens when cats get into fights outside. It would be better for your $$$ and your cat if you can keep him indoors.
I don't think krd lets her cats outside .

Sending lots and lots of your way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
-

I'm pretty sure krd that doesn't let her cats go outside either. Besides, it could have happened with cats playing a little rough inside anyways.

I hope it is just an abcess that will be quickly cleared up with antibiotics, krd .....good luck at the vet appt.
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh oh, the boys playing too rough again or maybe one of the girls nailed (no pun intended) him a good one? I bet Mickey Blue Eyes did it!! With 7 kitties it happens. At least you don't have to worry about any unknown diseases seeing as you never let them outside. Sounds abscessed to me. Been there a couple of times this year. I'm sure Dr M and you will have him better in no time.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 12th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

It was Dr. B and me....and ya she thinks abcess too, but it most likely ruptured beneath the skin (prob my fault for poking at it earlier in the week) she gave him one of those long lasting antibiotic shots as he's impossible to pill (seriously I think he could take ME in a fight) and I have to use some warm compresses on the area to see if that helps. And as always if the swelling doesn't get better he'll be going back in a week or so.

and ya catlover2, as everyone else said (thanks guys!) the closest my guys come to outside is through the window screens! But with 7 and a mommy who had to work a lot of extra shifts the last couple weeks, claw clipping got skipped one sunday.... so I think 14+ called it, cause when I did get around to clippin claws Mickey Blue Eyes here had some serious little needles on the go!!! And him and Buddy wrastle like clockwork when we get up and just before bed... silly boys.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope it heals up very quickly...poor kitty.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am glad it is just an abcess, lumps can be so worrysome . Lots and lots of that it clears up quickly

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quick healing for Buddy, kr!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hope Buddy is feeling better .
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:27 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep, those darn long claws do a number on kitties. With Storm earlier in the year and then MiniMo not so long ago I'm getting to the point where I almost expect to find them on my guys. I was able to clear up MM's at home.
Heal fast Buddy!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
~Cat Servent~

So I was hanging out with my friend Bree last night and Buddy jumped up on me on the couch and I notice that area is oozing a thick pus........ so I get my cloth and peroxide and water solution ready in the bathroom and pick him up to take him in, he freaks right out, get him in there and finally wrestle him into a position on the counter where I can see what's going on and give the area a very gentle push....and the pus and blood shoot right across the bathroom! So of course I freak out at the sheer mass of goop coming out of my poor Bub and he's freakin out cause I'm freaked out and he's in pain and he bites me hard under my left arm. I managed to get out as much as I could before he just couldn't take any more and really bit me hard and drew blood, the area kept oozing for about another hour or so and I just went around the house behind him cleaning up his little puddles, he finally let me just hold a papertowel to the area so I did that a few times before bed (it was more a clear pinkish liquid by then) and by the time I went to bed the area was crusted up. All in all a gross gross night....but this morning it must feel better cause he'll let me lightly run my hand over the spot without trying to kill me.

Now I'm wondering....should I try to clean off the crusty bits tonight with warm peroxide water or leave it and not stress him out anymore? I imagine the antibiotic shot will help stave off infection while it heals? My poor big guy....man did he ever get loved up this mornin! Seriously there had to have been like a cup or more of stuff come out of that area.... that had to hurt a lot.

Old November 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

. I would allow it to dry up. The crustiness should prevent more bacteria from getting in and the antibiotic shot should be working on the bacteria that is on the inside.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks L4...I am gonna leave it be for a few days and see if he tries to clean up the fur himself. He's eating and drinking etc, and back to his snuggly self tonight!

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM
150% PRO S/N

When Stormy had her abscess earlier this year and then MiniMo had one not so long ago I kept the area clean of crusties and open so it could drain all of the crap out of it. If it remains closed chances are there is some infection still lurking. Better safe than sorry. I used a warm washcloth on the area and then applied a small amount of polysporin afterward. It seemed to heal quicker.

Just curious. Was the two week shot Convenia?

Old November 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad it finally burst, kr! Better out than in!!! Now the healing can begin!

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Glad to hear that Buddy is on the road to recovery

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
-

Having dealt with abscesses in the past Kr, the Vet always advised me to keep them open to stop anymore build up of pus etc.....the more often you can clean it off the less resistance you'll encounter from Buddy...I don't think peroxide is the way to go...I would use betadine or something similar.
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:43 AM
~Cat Servent~

K thanks guys....I'm gonna get him in the sink tonight and just run some warm water over the area, it's so crusted I can't really see what's goin on- I had trimmed the fur in the wrong area, the pus drained from a completely different spot and he wouldn't let me trim once it was oozing.

Old November 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

A washcloth soaked in warm Epsom salt water can do wonders for drawing out any ickiness. I'd be cautious about using hydrogen peroxide because it can actually damage new cell growth.

Healing hugs to Buddy!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Catlover2

Glad all that pus came out, but keep the area open by washing abscess area several times a day with a salt water solution. You don't want it to scar over yet until it's drained and the antibiotics really kick in.
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks SCM I actually have epsom salts here so I'll give that a try.... the peroxide is really diluted in water, not used full strength, that's what I used for Windy's abcess and hers healed really quick with no antibiotics, that's why I tried it this time....but Buddy's is much worse than hers was. I have some poly here too, so I'll see if I can put some of that on without him eating it!

Old November 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do you have an e-collar you can put on him? That would prevent him from licking the wound and keep the polysporin on it. The polysporin will permit a layer to keep the bacteria in the air away.

When Snowball had his abcess, the vet gave him an ecollar so he wouldn't lick it .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)