Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

September in my garden

Just a few images of Spring colour here.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Some brighter colours.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Very pretty, but I don't recognize most of them! What are they? Especially the last one and first one and the blue spires in the first post.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM

Your flowers are beautiful, mine are 90% dead, I'm jealous.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay. First one is a Wallflower. Second is a rather dainty poppy I was given but I haven't a name for. The third is my latest addiction, a pale blue Echium.( I now have pink, dark blue, white and another I bought but have forgotten the colour of). I also joined the Digger's Club here, which have a lot of heirloom and rarer plants, because in an old catalogue I noticed they have a deep red and a yellow Echium that I must have, and you can buy things cheaper by being a member.
Next photo is a Lachanalia, followed by Freesias and in the background the dainty Linaria, while the last one is another Wallflower. I will show you some of the other colours in Wallflowers, I think they are beautiful, and they have a wonderful, fairly strong perfume.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I rather like the purple wallflowers myself.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you get this Australian native, Hardenbergia, in Canada? It's a climbing legume and puts on quite a display. Comes in white now, and I think a combination of white and purple.

Second photo is of a different Lachanalia, I only bought the bulbs of this one this year.
Attached Images

Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love all those wallflowers. I wonder if they'd grow in WI? Sure are pretty!

I was trying to see what zone they'd grow in here--are these in the mustard family? When you google wallflower most of what comes up is party info

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, Hazel, I should have given you their proper name. Erysimum syn. Cheiranthus. According to my Botanica of garden plants, Wallflowers grow in zones 3 to 10, but sadly Canada is zone 2. I mainly planted them to help shade the roots of my young roses from the hot Summer sun, but I am really pleased with the display of flowers. With my older roses I just plants annuals, with poppies being a particular favorite.
Attached Images

Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
The third is my latest addiction, a pale blue Echium.
So lovely! I can see those mass planted .

Quote:
Hardenbergia
Gorgeous!!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Sorry, Hazel, I should have given you their proper name. Erysimum syn. Cheiranthus. According to my Botanica of garden plants, Wallflowers grow in zones 3 to 10, but sadly Canada is zone 2.
Good thing I'm not in Canada, then. We're in zone 3b or some such... They're absolutely gorgeous!

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Good, then you want the right mix, which was Monarch Fair Lady, except for the purple ones, which were given to me by a gardening buddy. Could I send you seed, or wouldn't they make it through customs?
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They'd probably make it through customs, but I have dreadful luck with seeds. I can get hundreds to sprout and only 2 or 3 survivors by end of summer. So I'm gonna check out some of the nurseries and see if they have them already started or can order me some. But for the offer.

Old September 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, and from seed they are planted Summer and Autumn (Fall) in my zone, which may give you some idea when to look for seedlings.
I'm designing a new garden bed this morning, also potting up 10 or more frangipani (oops!, Plumeria they call them now, don't they?) cuttings a friend sent down from Queensland. I don't expect them to survive but it's certainly worth a try.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Investigative researcher

Just happened across this thread--actually, much of Canada along the coasts and in deep valleys is zone 3, 4 and 5! Even halfway up the province where I am there are pockets of zone 3. My sister on Vancouver Island can grow anything that needs zone 6.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
-

We are zone 4b....parts of the Niagara Penninsula is 5b and BC has zones 8 in some parts.

I love wallflowers, in England you can see them growing out of brickwork walls.

In this blurb it says it is a perennial in zones 5 - 9, or grow as an annual/biennial

http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/ca...andmore/pd9608
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

What a nice thread to open. Most of us are tucking our flower beds to sleep in North America so the thought of spring/summer all over again is nice to see.

I really like the Lachanalia. Very colourful. They almost look like candy corn!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

KLM, I love the lachanalias too. The one you missed, because it flowered earlier, was this one - unless I put it in another thread? Lachanalia Quadricolor.

The latest thing to flower is the pale purple Honesty, a first for my garden. (And I mowed that long grass in the background yesterday. )
All my roses have buds on them and it will be such a shame if that locust plague happens. I reckon to save the rose bushes I could disguise them with white Derris Dust but that won't be very attractive for photo's. Locusts are mainly attracted to anything green, not white. Don't laugh .... no, you can laugh because I am, if white puts them off I have a lot of French chalk and potato flour that I used to use on my Sheltie's whites at the dog shows, I'd even use that to protect plants seeing I don't show anymore.

DoubleRR and Chris21711 - interesting about the zones there and I'm glad it allows scope for more variety in the gardens.
Attached Images

Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
KLM, I love the lachanalias too. The one you missed, because it flowered earlier, was this one - unless I put it in another thread? Lachanalia Quadricolor.

All my roses have buds on them and it will be such a shame if that locust plague happens. I reckon to save the rose bushes I could disguise them with white Derris Dust but that won't be very attractive for photo's. Locusts are mainly attracted to anything green, not white. Don't laugh .... no, you can laugh because I am, if white puts them off I have a lot of French chalk and potato flour that I used to use on my Sheltie's whites at the dog shows, I'd even use that to protect plants seeing I don't show anymore.
So dusting your roses with French chalk or potato flour will help steer the locust away? Would this dusting also keep other critters away too? Interesting.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Locusts are so hooked on green that when they got into the garden centre nursery over where I shop, they took to the Yukka leaves but only ate the green in the centre, leaving the yellow band on the edge of the leaves. They say that they will try and eat green shade cloth, even green plastic. I would just hope that plants dusted white might be unattractive to them. Derris dust would be better as that is designed to kill certain garden pests. I think bees would still come for the flowers and be safe. As a friend said, we'll have to pray for strong northerly winds when they take to flight, so they blow on right by.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow, such beautiful colours

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey