Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Sad,troublesome day

I don't know about the rest of you,but today on several occasions I've been sitting here crying,between little Holly dying,drowning of kittens and unwanted pit-puppies,it's not been a good day...... :sad: :sad:
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

maybe some positive stuff?

Shyla, the neo mastiff went to her forever home today.... Lana the hedgehog tagged along for the ride... It was sunny... Days are getting longer... ummmm C'mon guys help out here, lol!
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Not so hot either Chico. I had to call the "death" of a patient - a child who had couragously battled leukemia for ten years! WE did everything we could - it clearly was not enough. (sigh!) And I had to inform five other children and their parents that they have some type of cancer. So I came home and dressed in my jeans and T shirt and played mousie with Yin Yin. Thjose images of drowned mewing kittens - scratching at the burlap as they are powerless to fight the current and the water - really stay with me too. I find them hard to get out my my head!

(And I am still suppsed to do a post debriefling from Sumatra about all the things we see there - we always do it with Les Medecins de Frontieres but I have not yet found time).

Maybe we need a vacation!

(Gawd, this is the 3rd editing - I need grammar check and spell check, lol)
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's BMDluver,but now I have happyness tears for Shyla....and the little prickly thingy I am just such a big sob
CK,I admire you for the courage it must take to deliver such sad news.....to children and parents. :sad:
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

k

I've now crashed n burned, joining in :sad:
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry BMD Lover, but if you guys want to come overm I've got lots of hot cocoa and popcorn and other junk food. (Kitkat bars and hickory sticks)
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

np

No problem CK, I was just trying to forget the bad stuff... What you do is so incredibly difficult and I think it makes some of us a little more humble.

I think I might have to make a tray of brownies tonight and eat them all by myself.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

K,I am on my way,just have to feed three "starving"cats first.....I have 3 pairs of eyes,accusingly telling me to get off the PC and feed them..so I will!
I am happy beautiful Shyla has a new home,hopefully it will work out and maybe tomorrow will be a better day for all our animals out there.
Thank's Guys :love:
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was first out of university and did not cook as much as I do now (when I have time, lol) - I used to buy those Sara Lee brownies. I could eat the entire pkg!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

mmmm

I've only ever bought sara lee pound cake, now I'll be watching for the brownies!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Kitty Consort

Aww, sorry everyone.

Its a cruel world at times. Sometimes one just feels overwhelmed by the sadness that is beyond our control :sad: it temporarily overshadows all the good. But just temporarily....

How about a plate of brownies.. AND a visit to see the sweet animal pics?That always cheers me up- these adorable faces! ( especially the young and old thread!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Kitty Consort

omg, Twinmommy! They are SO beautiful!! What little darlings!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Twinmommy!

OMG, those two are absolutely adorable!
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

How is Shyla doing I am so glad she found a good forever home
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Twinmommy,

Same thing goes here. Judith always cheers me up.
Attached Images

Old February 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Twinmommy and Lilith, Your babies are beautiful you both must be very proud! Chico, I know how you feel, I find myself very angry at first after reading about these animal cruelty stories but after the anger wears off I'm very saddened by it. I wish there were something we could do to stop people from being so mean and cruel.
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

wow

Judith has grown so much! She's adorable, don't ya just want to squish her, lol.

Mastifflover: Shyla went to a fabulous home with previous experience. They had been looking for one for the last 3 years. She is going to be one spoiled young lady. She also gets to play with lots of dog friends on neighbouring properties, horses and even a few pigs thrown into the mix for good measure. I will probably be checking in on her in the next few weeks at her home on my way for a girls weekend.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Maybe it is the full moon, coz I have had one absolutely miserable day too. There are two golden pups at Berger Blanc and another at Chiechien, price negotiable.........

Got a call last night that my 2.5 week old great niece is in hospital on oxygen. They are about 400 miles away from me. My knee is killing me and I have an arthogram tomorrow for it. Not looking forward to that honking big needle

And Holly's passing and the newcomer who's cat dropped dead in front of him this morning, and I need to stop for groceries but that involves money

And the boss, and work, and a few of the other idiots cluttering up the planet.

Glad for the ones who got their foreverhomes today, and that the hedgehog got to tag along

Oh well, there is kibble in the storage bins and two furbutts waiting for me at home (and you all know which one is which)

Grouphugs to everyone, me included
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I can look around & in two minutes or less find someone other than me that has it much worse. My outlook on life changed drastically after fighting cancer, and recently found out that fight was a wash out.
My friend & co-worker, Carol, just left here after having dinner with me. I hope I was successful in cheering her up. Carol stood by me through my sx's & treatment only to find out she had breast cancer too. She just finished her treatments and her husband left her last night.
We both are between a so called "rock & a hard place"...no more health insurance, at an age where there is no help what so ever. So we work until we die...really.
I was turned down by one of the largest University teaching hospitals (Shands) because I "fall through the cracks" of society. I have always been convinced single, low income people are not meant to survive a catistrophic illness. Now Carol is scared too. She only works part time and has a new mortgage to support. She too falls into those evil cracks.
But we laughed for hours tonight....we can still laugh.
Like I said in the beginning, I can always find someone worse off than I.

If life throws you a lemon, squeeze it on the nearest lobster.

(stole that line from a commercial 'cos I liked it)
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Hugs Karin

I love the lemon idea... of course, I love lobster!

My Dad's saying is "if life gives you lemons make lemonade". Mine is "Don't sweat the small stuff". As we see daily, there are big things out there that some have to deal with on a day to day basis, good to be reminded about that and to be able to be thankful for each day.

I must be getting tired as I'm getting philisophical.
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the compliments on my wee ones, guys, and Lileth your daughter is simply scrumptious!!!

How eerie that today, while we are getting philosophical, I heard on the radio a song by Tim McGraw. I don't usually listen to country, and the station is not even one of my presets in the car--which is why it's so weird-- but the name of the song said it all...."We should live like we are dying."

great song.

Karin, I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible things you've been going through. When you say "even that was a wash out" do you mean that you are still not o.k.?
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
Thanks for the compliments on my wee ones, guys, and Lileth your daughter is simply scrumptious!!!

How eerie that today, while we are getting philosophical, I heard on the radio a song by Tim McGraw. I don't usually listen to country, and the station is not even one of my presets in the car--which is why it's so weird-- but the name of the song said it all...."We should live like we are dying."

great song.

Karin, I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible things you've been going through. When you say "even that was a wash out" do you mean that you are still not o.k.?
Pretty much so as I have been told, actually knew last year, Shands did say I may be to qualify for testing in October when more funds are available. What good is testing if you cannot afford to go further in my opinion..(Nuf said)
The song is "Live Like You Are Dying". McGraw did not write this and the writers had no idea McGraw's father, Tug McGraw died from brain cancer the year before. Tug McGraw was a major league baseball pitcher. When the song writers approached him about recording the song..everything fell into place. I do not care for his music but he deserved all the awards for cutting the song...I was a fan of his dad though.

I'm gonna sit on the couch for a bit. Got my lemon, no lobster but I have a cold Corona waiting for me.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Karin I am so sorry for what you have endured, and continue to endure. It really stinks. :sad:
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

here I sit feeling really bad, but now I know all of you are having troubles to.
I just found out my best friend who just had a baby jan 29/05, is in the hospital, ,just had brain sugery, her hubby tells me she had a brain anurism (sp?) in the centre of her brain, the outlook is not very good :sad:
her new baby boy "Noah" may lose his mother, I have been crying since I found out.
I am so greatful I have this place to come to during the hard times!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Karin,

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Even as an oncologist, I had to face cervical cancer when I was in my early 30's. (about 10 yrs ago). I knew though that caught early, it was probably one of the better diagnoses to get. I am always so angry when I hear about people in the US who are turned down because of financial reasons. I do NOT understand that way of thinking I guess. Have you sought out clinical trials or that kind of thing?

You sound very brave, I have to say. I cope with cancer every day - life and death as it were. One my patients who was all of 13 overheard a nursing assistant asking why he had been referred for rather involved test - "isn't he terminal?", she'd asked. He told her "we're all terminal." And he was righ! (Sadly, he died a few yrs ago) I pushed our hospital board to fire her - lots of hell with the union but I cannot tolerate that attitude!

I live with constant chronic pain (a spinal problem,COPD and cardiac probs- very looong story) but my work saves me!

The difference is of course I am not the one with cancer but I think about it ALL the time - the environment, research, how far we've come yet have to go. It even bothered me that I posted the other day that we've done so much for AIDS in pediatrics and then I thought to mysellf, "yeah, sure, if you happen to live in the western world!" I might add - hearing your experience - that in the western world with a good insurance plan or a country with national health insurance.

Keep up your wonderful attitude!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:52 PM

I have talked to people from the get go...until I was talked out. The system does suck for air in the US. If I was younger and had dependents, that would be great for medical care, or old enough for Medicaid. I'm in the middle part...47 years old. No dependents. As of the 1st of the year, no insurance, (paid for it for 3 years, could not use it). And as of the 1st, I learned a week after, I lost all my sick leave & vacation. New payroll/management company..I am considered a "new hire" so I lost senority also.

Thanks for all your support folks but I'm squeezing lemons here...all things happen for a reason. Look around you...you can always find someone worse off..I can too. Like I said before, 'nuf said. (Been on the phone with Carol for the past two hours, she is hurting tonight)
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:32 AM
banned user

Karin, I'm so sorry about what you and your friend are going through. :sad:
I sent you a PM.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Karin,I know you have an enormous amount of courage and a wonderful sense of humour and I hope you and Ciara can keep fighting the fight...it's an ugly,scary disease.
Medical care should be a right for everyone,I wish you could come here to us and get the care you need,it just stuns me,that a country spending billions on war,will not take care of their own...
All the best to you and your friend and of course Ciara :love:
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Ths thread has me in tears. I am already emotional and this just put me over the edge. It's been difficult around here lately. Life is not easy (unless you're 5) and we just have to play the cards we're dealt...

Karin, I am so sorry for what you and your friend are going through right now, just know that you always have a should er to lean on here at pets.ca! (((((HUGS)))) I will be thinking about you guys!

Lilith and Twinmommy, you have the most precious babies! So adorable!

Chico, keep your head up lady! We may not be able to save all the animals in the world, but we can sure try and you do so much for this board! You are a wonderful and very inspirational women!
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Sammiec,unfortunately I am in no position to help anybody and it is frustrating and sad....there are so many people here,who fight brave battles every day,be it personal or for our animalfriends out there and I :love: you all