Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Husky Addict

insane cats ...

Alright, I have this questions about cats... Since I know jacksh**t about them...

We get calls at work sometime, from cat owners who wants to put their cats down...nothing unsual with that...
we never really put an animal down for no medical reason, so.... its not too bad.

however, recently we've had some euthanasia that had for reason "My cat is insane, he tries to attack everyone"

some of the time its once, but the animal doesn't go back to normal, the cat just becomes frenzied and tries to bite, claw and are VICIOUS.... seriously... I tried to check two of those cases weight...and I gave up as they were INSANE...

im talking about cats whom before, we're kind, loving, purring machine (one i saw before for a UTI...)...2 months after...BAM ....total loco puss.

being me, im curious... so I asked some of the ER vets if we could euthanise cats like that, and why,which they simply laughed at me saying of course they'll put them down.

ok...hello? answer? WHY, is it medical? what can it be?
vets at my job are most of the time nice...but SOME are real bitches (seriously...) who need a ego check (they are vets so they are better than everyone working there type of deal...) I'm really interested in knowing why, just not to ask them and be laughed at by snotty vets...

I know really NOTHING about cats, and I want to learn. period.

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM

I think one of my cats is a little touched in the head. She will switch from being the nicest cat in the world to something that hisses, growls and nips (I say nip because she still tries not to bite too hard). This usually happnes when she is a little stressed, but has been happening less often as time goes on. She would also overgroom and end up with very thin fur on her sides where she could easily reach.

I took her to the vet and there was nothing physically that would cause her to overgoom and he said it was a psychological condition. They offered Prozac to mellow her out, but we chose not to because we worried that she would get hooked on them and it would just cause more problems later on. Besides, she didn't overgroom to the point where she was damaging her skin. I tried paying even more attention to her and slowly she overgroomed less and less. The mood swings also lessened.

She still flips out sometimes for no reason, but she's sooo much better now and her fur has almost all grown back. It's strange, but out of my four cats, the same one ends up being either the most affectionate or the meanest depending on which personality is in control at the time. I still love her though.

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Husky Addict

yea I know some can be just... unstable, but with some cats its like... 17 years of being the sweetest thing ever, to become totally loco in a second, and it doesn't go back to normal (so, they put it down) honestly I would too...

its hard though, sometime they put them down (cats or dogs) and dont even wanna try to find whats wrong

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtoreth View Post
yea I know some can be just... unstable, but with some cats its like... 17 years of being the sweetest thing ever, to become totally loco in a second, and it doesn't go back to normal (so, they put it down) honestly I would too...

its hard though, sometime they put them down (cats or dogs) and dont even wanna try to find whats wrong
Kali is the one that has issues. She is the stray that we took in and I am still convinced she was once a housecat that was tossed out because she was too friendly and had no issue whatsoever with begin "trapped" in the house. The vet said she could be helped with Prozac, but we wanted to see if we could help her without drugs and it's working so far.

I would also get upset at the people that can even be bothered to try and help their pets. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, but you owe it to them to at least see if there is anything that can help.

Kali is in her usual spot curled up asleep on my printer right beside me. She is also the one that I can count on to be right beside me as I sleep too.

Even with her slight mental issues, I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Caesar (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - 7 yrs
Sable (Egyptan Mau/DSH X) - 6 yrs
Fluffy (Domestic Long Hair) - 4 yrs
Kali (Calico DSH) - 2 yrs?
Pandora (White Shepherd) - 2 yrs
Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) - 7 mths
Angelique (Egyptian Mau/DSH X) - November 7, 2002 to May 2008

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." -M. Acklam

Last edited by Sheri H; October 31st, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Husky Addict

thats nice to hear ^^ we need more owners like you

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM

one good article about a disorder many cats have, mine included that can cause alot of crazy symptoms...

http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-...sia/page1.aspx

Aside from obvious stress or physical injury... this is fairly common and can make a cat seem very out of whack