Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Animal Nut!

Is Lexie sick????

As many of you will know, Lex was at the vet last week for constipation. I have been adding oil to her food, and so far, so good on the poop sitiuation.

Now the issue is that she isn't eating. She has gone from being a "little piggy" to being very fussy, turning her nose up at all her favorite foods.
so, I went to the pet food place, and got her some raw minced lamb, she loved it, but I have to make sure she doenst eat too much of it as she vomits.
I also got her, some very expensive little canned food (prob just overpriced) , I have opened 5 tins so far, and have only found one that she will nibble at.

She has even gone off her "midnight snacking" on biscuits.

I am very worried, could it be a prob with the Diabeties (I did get a blood test done on her today and it came back with her blood sugar level in the "normal" range.
I mentioned to the vet that she was off her food, but he didnt seem overly concerned. He felt her tummy, and she didnt yelp and he said everything felt ok.

I hope its not kidney failure, or anything, but Im not to sure on the symptoms
I love my Lexie to bits, and I really dont want to loose her....although I know that it will happen one day.
Any advise, suggestions would be great.
Thank you all:

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Aww poor lexie.

Did the vet do any other blood work or just the glucose? If not I would get him to do a general health profile(one that checks a wide range of things like kidney's, thyroid etc...). As for more fibre in her diet a couple of vets I worked for suggested and used metamusil, the powder and unflavoured for cat's in your situation. But you would need to get her to eat wet food. Also omega 3 capusles(pierce the capsule and dribble ? amount on food) might be better than the tuna oil, there are ones made for pets but I don't know if the vets there would have them.

I can't be much help with food but she may not be that interested as she may be feeling nautious and anything with a strong smell may turn her off. Unfourtunately nausea can be a sign of kidney problems, hopefully not , it is manageable though. If her blood work is all ok maybe the vet can give you something to help settle her tummy. I know you don't want to get into more drugs (I feel the same way) but there is one that works as an appetite stimulant.

I can't think of anything else to offer at the momment. to you both that she gets back on track soon.
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Animal Nut!

Thanks Dusty.

I have been going into the fridge, and Lex seems to want food, but just wont eat it.
Im going to call the vet and take a urine sample in tomorrow and see what that shows.

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely ask the vet to do the blood panels. Loss of appetite always should be checked out. I hope Lexie is okay
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I hope and that lexie is ok
keep us posted.
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Animal Nut!

Thanks everyone. Well today I was up at 5am getting Lexies first pee. Why does she have to go soo early.
Took it to the vet and now she is on antibiotics, they said she had an infection. I also picked up some cat-lax to use instead of fish oil, and someone suggested omega 3 capsules, so thats something else I would like to try.

She seems to have picked up in her eating, I got her some raw fish, which she has been enjoying, and now she seems to be eating a few of her biscuits and some canned food.... so

She does seem a bit jumpy at the moment, but I guess since she's been to the vet several times in the past couple of days, she is scared that if I pick her up she's off for another visit.

So, heres hoping that she'll be ok. Its hard when your diabetic cat doesnt eat, as they need food so they dont go hypoglcaemic... she did about a month or so ago, I came home and she was practically dead,,,I paniced and rushed her to the vet, the blood sugar level came back at 0.9....if it was 0 she would have been dead!::sad:

Old March 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for continued improvement! I'm glad the vet found something that was so easily treatable!

Poor dear, though...multiple vet visits! Our dogs hate those kinds of weeks, too!
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I am glad the vet found something(not really glad but I think you know what I mean). for continued improvement also. Glad to hear she is starting to eat.

My male acts funny for a few days when he's been to the vet, even just for a check-up.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's two more crossed fingers and lots of crossed meezer and sphynx Girls' paws!! We hope lexie will be fine!!!