Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck tomorrow, cpietra

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:07 PM

Good luck tomorrow, hope everything goes well! I'll be in the barn most of the day, I dont think you will have a hard time spotting me, I'll be the girl that looks like she doesn't belong on a farm

Looking forward to helping some kitties

Corinne
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:12 PM
~Cat Servent~

Good luck tomorrow! that you can get all those kitties!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

COCO,great of you to help out
that cpietra got some help and all goes well
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck today!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM

Any news yet from cpietra??
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra got 2 of the kitties,the others got a little skittish from all the people there.
Apparently the "boss" will give them more time,has even agreed to keep some kitties,as long as they are spayed/neutered so that's good news
cpietra will update you herself once she gets back home
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi CHico, Thanks for filling them all in. We actually got 3 cats, but the third little one actually weaseled himself out of the trap....I think the trap was defective. We did get 2; 1 went to the SPCA and will be tracked and cared for a very trustworthy new friend...I hope she feels that way about me
The other one is with me...under my bed. SO I guess I will have a bed mate for a few days. Whe we got there and my cousin showed up we saw 6 of the cats waiting on the other side of the door. She is the only one that feeds them and they do not fear her at all. Today they felt something was not right because they were not letting her anywhere near them. I actually saw how much they trust her so she will keep the traps and keep food in there. She will place a rock so that they can not trigger the trap...eventually they will not be afraid of going in and eating in there....next week I will go backand she will remove the rock.Once in the trap door comes down...now it sounds very smart but today we were outsmarted and made fools of by felines....thats right little creatures in fur coats. I will be putting up the pics in a few minutes. Thank you all for your help and kindness...I would not have been able to to this on my own.
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good going! Not bad for being scared. Did you get the pregnant one?
I have thought of you guys off and on all day. Hoping things were going well. I only wish I were closer to help but, as the crow flies, we are somewhere around 10 hours away. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

the first on is the house cat that loves everyone. The other is very aweet. She let me pet her and look inside her mouth ( a few times) without ever a growl or bite)...both of these cats a very adoptable....
Attached Images

Old February 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so glad you were able to catch at least a couple! And that the boss is giving you more time!

that the remaining kitties become accustomed to eating in the trap and you can get them next weekend!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

They are so sweet. Congrats again!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
~Cat Servent~

Great job!!! Congrats... hope it goes better next time and you are able to get the rest!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
-

I have been watching this thread but haven't replied since I am so far away from you all. :sad:

Glad that you have two of them and they are both totally gorgeous.

Good luck with getting the rest of them.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM

cpietra16 so much for helping these little ones

for nabbing the remaining ones

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Great job, cpietra. I am so glad the boss is allowing more time to get the kitties .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

cpietra,we all know how smart these little guys can bethey always know when changes are about to happen.
The 2 girls are really sweet,hope they are not preggersand you're right,they are probably very adoptable
Thank's cpietra
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
-

Both of them are so pretty Which one do you have at your house?

Great Job you and your friends did this weekend Cpietra , good vibes in being able to get the remainder
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM

Good news!! you managed to save 2 lives and probably more next week... they are beautiful!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I have the second cat staying with me..who is now named Angel....she is the second one in the picture.
As an update. The first cat who went to the SPCA did very very well. She was handled without an problems...she'll be a great kitty. She was never ment to live in a warehouse...to beneath her ranking....hehehe.
Angel did well under my bed last night. She started crying around 3 in the morning and she was scratching at the window...she wanted to go outside...I tried to calm her but she still cried..I realised this morning that she wanted out becasue she wanted to go to the bathroom...she peed on my bookbag instead...I guess I will have to teach her about the litter...she is great. I replaced my bookbag with the litter box so that I hope she uses that tonight. I need the cat whisperer to coax her out...you know who you are I would like ot get her to the SPCA soon so that she can get proper care and finda home to call her own.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

You are good people!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
who is now named Angel....
Thanks Cpteria16, what a nice compliment!

Last edited by poodletalk; February 2nd, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Angel is in good hands now. What until she realizes that she never needs to be hungry or cold again , bet she will be one greatful, lovable kitty.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Angel still likes to stay under the bed, which ofcourse I knew would happen. She has the litter box but still cries every night to be let out to pee. I can't do that so she ends up peeing on my pants or bookbag...which ofcourse can be washed. I want to kick myself for letting her out of the carrier so soon. She is very uncomfortable with humans right now. But I am determined to have her come to trust me like she trusted my cousin.
Once I socialize her than she can be adoptable, becasue right now I think she would be put down just because she is not a typical cuddle cat who likes to walk up to people. she definately has potential.

i will be going back this weekend and round up more cats and hopefully find people to foster/socialize them until they are adiptable.
There are 2/3 toms that I will try and catch and release..they have been there too long...I think...anyway. I think I am just thinking outloud to get input...i treat you guys like you were infront of me listening to me....so speak up please,,,,
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
-

If the boss has agreed to keeping some cats on the premises then maybe the Toms can carrying on living around there
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

yes that's the idea, but I would liek to have them neutured before I take them back.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra,if anyone can socialize a kitty it's you,how are the basement-kitties doing???
I too would have the Toms neutered and returned,hopefully a rescue can help you with the finances.
If they are allowed back,they should be ok.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Great idea to get the Toms neutured before returning. You don't know how many cats the owner is going to let stay? That would give you an idea on where to start. It is possible once they get into a home (or barn) they may not want to leave.

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

cpietra16, I know you don't know me, but I am quite safe, I was wondering if you could pm me your home addy or work, which ever you would feel safest with, or maybe set up an account somewhere that donations could be sent to? maybe name it Lachine cats at where ever you plan to have them spayed/neutured? Goldengirls thought maybe Vanier or Bond? You can speak/pm Stacer to ask about me...*L* I really am safe. I'm a personal friend of Goldengirls if that helps any !
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi everyone...I hope marko is Ok with this...but its my only chance....Marko you can remove it if its inappropiate.

I am looking for any small donation towards the sterlization of these Lachine cats. We will be trying to bring the adoptable ones to the SPCA, but there will be some Toms and females that are not adoptable;they have been there too long and will never be happy in a conventional home. I would like to trap/neuture/spay and release.
If anyone would like to donate....anything....you can send the donation at:

The Bond Foundation for Animal Welfare
406 - 3777 Côte des Neiges
Montréal, QC H3H 1V8

The Bond Foundation will be helping us with the cost.

just for extra information on Catch Release: this worked in the States.....http://www.feralfeline.org/tnr.html..............

There are approximately 60 million feral cats in the United States. The goal of TNR is to reduce the number of feral cats while increasing their quality of life. After a feral cat has been spayed or neutered, screened for FeLV and FIV, and has received a rabies vaccine, it is returned to its original colony where it can live out a full, healthy, non-reproductive life. TNR is endorsed by many animal oriented organizations including the American Veterinary Medical Association. TNR has been shown to be the least costly as well as the most efficient and humane way of stabilizing feral cat populations.

The standing alternative to TNR is extermination, which is not only inhumane, but costly as well. Continued attempts to catch feral cats, house, euthanize, and dispose of them costs much more than to simply TNR them.

A side product of extermination is the Vacuum Effect. Cats are relatively territorial animals. When they are removed from a colony, new ones will move in and then breed to capacity. By keeping non-reproductive cats in the colony, new cats will be much less likely to join.

Positive Effects of TNR

1. Stops the cycle of reproduction. Statistics from the Feral Cat Coalition in San Diego show that TNR is working: In 1997, the San Diego Department of Animal Control showed a decrease of almost 50% in the number of cats impounded and killed compared to 1992, the year in which their TNR program was started.

2. Reduces behaviors such as yowling, fighting and spraying.

3. Reducing the number of feral cats also reduces the threat that they may pose to native species.

4. Reduces disease and illness which may affect people's pets along with feral cats.

Last edited by cpietra16; February 5th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.