Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old April 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Question Wild Rabbits In The Backyard...

A few days ago I noticed there was a wild rabbit hanging around the back patio, browsing the bird seed we put out. Cute. Yesterday I figured out there are two of them.

This morning they were mating in the backyard. Hmm.

I guess it won't be long before we start seeing babies...

Who knows where their hutch is - I don't think it's on our property (which is pretty open) but it could be on any of the surrounding neighbours' properties, under a hedge...

I don't want to call animal control, I don't want to hurt them in any way - but is there anything I can do to discourage them from using our backyard as their home base? Critter Ridder or something?

I would also rather not stop feeding the birds; we have a substantial population of sparrows, mourning doves, juncos, etc. which are pretty used to feeding on and around our patio.

I'm also slightly wary of the rabbits bringing fleas & ticks near the house, and possibly being a local vector for rabies etc. - or should I not worry about it?

I'd appreciate your insight and advice!
Attached Images

Old April 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Doggie Wench

Are your pets getting flea preventative treatments regularly? If so, I don't think I'd worry much about it (birds have fleas too ).

We have rabbits in our yard all the time too but they mostly come out when it's dark. I always have to remember to check first before letting the dogs outside .
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM

My cats are indoor-only, they never go outside - but I did have them treated for fleas once (last Summer) when I found one flea on one of the females. I had them treated immediately (and cleaned the house like the dickens of course) and there hasn't been a recurrence, thank goodness. I never even saw another flea - I think we were more than lucky there was just the one, which must have been brought in on our clothes or something. But now that you mention it (thanks!), I'll ask our vet if I shouldn't treat the cats preventatively.

Our two rabbits are usually around from dusk to mid-morning of the following day. And the way these two were, um, doing their duty this morning, I'm sure we'll be seeing baby bunnies by June or however long it takes for them to leave the nest after birth.