Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Question Coconut Oil

Hi everyone, I read a thread about Coconut Oil being used to help with dry skin. Are some of you still using it and how long before you see any change? Sasha has such dry skin this spring she looks like she could use a dandruff shampoo. I have been giving the oil to Sasha for about one week now, I am giving her just under a tablespoon. Sasha weighs about 60 pounds.

Thanks for any info. pbp
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure about exactly how much you are supposed to give. I usually just take a spoonful and let each of the cats, the ones that like it, give a few licks until they get tired.

If your dog has dry skin, maybe you can have a look for some conditioning shampoo, just to help things along.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Fish oil supplements are very good for the coat, too, patti. At least, we've always had very good results with them. Cass used to get a very dry, itchy coat every winter but if we start supplementing in, say, November, and continue till spring, she no longer has the problem.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
-

Patti, do a search on the forum for coconut oil .....there are lots of threads discussing it and the recommended dosage. I would do it for you but have an appt and in a hurry right now.

I also use salmon oil which works great for us. Just remember if the brand you choose doesn't have Vitamin E included then you have to supplement it as well. I give both my boys (yellow lab & sibe) a 1000mg salmon oil with both morning and evening meals and a 400mg vit e three times a week.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your replys. I got the original info on pets.ca from reading some of the threads that were posted. I am giving Sasha sardines again hoping that they would also help. Looks like I should invest in some fish oil again. I was giving her Cod Liver Oil before but I am concerned that it may be too fatty.

Gotta go for now the hound is calling me to go for a walk. pbp
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

PB I used the pure coconut oil for a month or so and didnt notice much of a difference with Winston. I honestly dont think I gave it enough of a chance! He would eat it right off the spoon so I never had to worry he didnt like it but I would forget it but I have heard many good things about it. Maybe a salmon oil or herring oil might work better for your gal!

By the way we havent ask you for updated pics in awhile!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, the coconut oil does not seem to be working so I bought some Salmon Oil capsules after only one week; I have seen a change already in Sasha's skin, there is a lot less flaking. Thank you for all of your great advise. pbp
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Coconut Oil

Here's a link telling the benefits of coconut oil for dogs and cats. It's from Only Natural Pet Store

It includes dosage info and suggests starting with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per 10 lbs. I just started Emma on it yesterday (4/19/09) to treat a yeast infection. I'll let you know if there's any improvement.

Andi
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

A little off topic,but I use the Pure Coconut-oil for myself,removes brown-spots(yeah,I am old)
I use it as bathoil ,it cured a nail-fungus I had and is a great after-shower moisturizer,absorbs quickly,so no greasy mess

Of my 3 cats,only Vinnie likes it,but Vinnie likes anything,just like Mikey
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwinterfield View Post
Here's a link telling the benefits of coconut oil for dogs and cats. It includes dosage info and suggests starting with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per 10 lbs. I just started Emma on it yesterday (4/19/09) to treat a yeast infection. I'll let you know if there's any improvement.

Andi
I had no idea that it is good fpor so many things. Thanks for the info. Sasha liks the taste gobbles it off of the spoon very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
A little off topic,but I use the Pure Coconut-oil for myself,removes brown-spots(yeah,I am old)
I use it as bathoil ,it cured a nail-fungus I had and is a great after-shower moisturizer,absorbs quickly,so no greasy mess

Thanks Chico, I did not think of using it as a moisturizer, maybe I will give it a try on my "age" spots too, not saying that I am old or anything pbp
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Just read this pbpatti, i use salmon oil too for yogi, i.m releuctant[god wish i could spell long words] to use anything diferent as yogi flares up so easy i can,t use malaseb/epi sothe shampoo and he even reacted to primrose oil so i think i best stick to the salmon oil, thanks though for the thought
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
-

Quote:

I never knew that it was good for the stuff you mentioned, Chico, and as a fellow "senior" I will def give it a try.

None of my two cats will eat it but the dogs love it. I haven't bought any in a while since it is so expensive so I just use salmon oil for the boys but I will give them a taste out of the next jar I buy for "myself".
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
You can call me DOG!

Our Golden Bailey (R.I.P.) had very dry skin and severe hots spots when she was younger.

For 14 years, we gave her doggy treats with Organic Zinc. They're called Zinpro, Beryle Nutraceuticals, Skin & Coat Formula.... http://www.lincolnbiotech.com/

Two of these little heart shaped snacks a night really did help control the dry skin not to mention they made her coat very soft and shiny.

We've continued these treats with Gryphon and they have the same effect with him as well.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow,you have to be diligent and put it on every night,I had a large "age"spot on my hand and it's now hardly visibleand my toe is definitely ready for sandals
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
-

Quote:
Rainbow,you have to be diligent and put it on every night,I had a large "age"spot on my hand and it's now hardly visibleand my toe is definitely ready for sandals
LOL, I can be diligent when I need to be ....so how long did it take for you to notice any results?
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Rainbow,with the age-spot,probably a week,it still there,but hardly visible,gets lighter every day.
My toe took a little longer,but it's now nice and pinkI still put the oil on every night though.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Bumping up this older topic, because I'm searching this forum for yeast infection suggestions. Can anyone confirm that coconut oil works for yeast infections in dogs?

I have it in the house, because it's the only thing I'll put on my face or body. If it helps Bodhi, I'd be happy to give it to her. (she does lick my legs and arms every time I've applied coconut oil... perhaps her way of saying she likes/licks it a lot?