Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM

immobile cat

My cat hasn't been able to get up and move for the past 2-3 days, he isnt even a year old, he eats and can still go to the bathroom. He can lift up his head, meow and roll around to be in different positions but when you pick him up and try to get him to stand up he goes all limp and just lays there. We dont have the money to take him to the vet so any info would be appreciated.
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Didnt you just post this about 20 minutes ago....I would call a vet.....There isnt a charge for that..
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Unhappy cat unable to move

Is there any way you can beg borrow, (or steal!) the money to get at least an assessment from a vet? From that point, you can decide what course of action to take, even if it means you don't take him home. It is cruel to leave your cat in this state. Put it this way: if you couldn't move for 2 to three days, and were unable to tell anyone how you felt, if it hurt or could not ask for help, wouldn't YOU want to be seen by a doctor?? What if he is in pain? As his caregiver, you really should get him checked out right away. It is impossible to diagnose by computer, as there are so many possibilities as to why your cat is immobile or paralyzed. Please give your cat the medical attention he deserves.
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:56 PM

do you think I would have posted this up here if I had any plans to call a vet just to here them tell me to bring him down there so they can look at him and charge you a crap load of many I don't have?
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry i will leave this thread alone,because i just saw this posted here under a different name then taken off and re posted under this name,i dont buy this for one second,good luck...............................
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM

immobile cat

An initial office visit and assessment is necessary and not at all what I would call a crapload of money. My own vet's rates are very reasonable. Shop around. If follow up treatment is needed, as appears would be the case here, then yes, it may cost you some money. Maybe alot of money. But pets cost money. You cannot own one without incurring some medical expenses at one time or another. I would not hesitate to take any of my pets to the vet for an assessment, especially if one of them was not able to stand up. Like I said, it is impossible to assess the cat via computer. There are a myriad of possibilities for what is wrong with the cat. And if we did guess at what might be going on, then what? You still need to get the cat to a vet for treatment. So do it.
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

If you care for your cat, than you would do anything possible for it, even if money is an issue. It is all I have to say!!
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM

Angry *******s

don't you think if she had the money she would take her cat to the vet.. i know she would. she's looking for help not a bunch of *******s telling her that if she cared at all she should...... all my love lex.. i hope you find help
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:26 AM
~Cat Servent~

now I know why someone said it is so hard to hold your tongue at times....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Senior Contributor

None of these people are vets. But they all have pets and a certain amount of experience, so sometimes they can help. But in this case there is NO OTHER OPTION except taking your cat to the vet. I suggest calling around, call your local shelter (which sometimes has a vet with lower rates), call your friends, ask your parents (sorry to offend if you are not that young!), just DO IT. Don't be offended. We just want you to direct your energies to the animal.
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,here we go again,poor kitty
I was going to suggest you cancel your Internet-connection for a couple of months,but thats mean
There are many ways to get help for this poor kitty,I wish I had a magic wand to make him walk again over the Internet
Most,not all vets,will have the animals well-fare as first priority and let you pay in installments,phone around!!!This cat is suffering..
I LOVE my cats and would crawl,beg and cry to get them help and I am hoping you feel the same and that he is worth what might not be a"crap-load"of money
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico is right get rid of internet for a month,or how about you the friend defending him here,cant you help??????????????????
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM

I am only 18 still going to school and live with my parents who both say that we cant afford to take him to the vet, I came on here looking for a veterinarian who may have seen something like this before and at least give me a little insight as to what may be wrong instead I get a Forum that is suppose to be something like that and is no help at all.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

On your first post you said he has no use of back legs.That is pretty serious s***.... What about grandparents or something?????
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Grandparents hardly ever talk to us because we arent part of their religion
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Well how about a teacher at school,a bike or a playstation to sell./......................I really cant believe someones parents are that cruel and will not take to vet...............
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM
~Cat Servent~

Well then may I suggest that you find this kitty a home with someone who can afford to take care of it. Right now you are being extremely cruel to that poor cat, and if I knew you, I would be calling someone to take that kitty from you and your irresponsible parents.

And everyone excuse my curt response....I just think this person needed a reality check. I really did TRY to hold my tongue!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree you cannot let this cat suffer this is animal abuse and I am right there with you I would report it as well. Stop whiniing and start calling vets and shelters if you cant do anything to help this poor animal then take it to the Humane Society or a no kill shelter and get it a better life with someone who can afford to help it. Yes all of us have had money problems but I would starve or sell anything to help my pet in fact I would go beg on the streets if need be.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM

immobile cat

We all see your dilema: you want to help the cat, but have no financial avenues open to you to do so. But you must put the cat first. It needs help NOW. You're gonna have to get it to a veterinarian or shelter post haste to at least ease the cats's suffering. I'm not sure how you can bear to leave it the way it is. As for finding a vet on this site that might have some idea as to what is ailing your cat, I think that they would likely tell you the exact same thing: you should take it to an animal hospital or shelter(?) for a proper assessment.
I did some thinking to try to possibly find some causes as to what may be causing this "paralysis" in your cat. Perhaps this will give you some guidance.

1) poisoning;
2) tick paralysis: The signs of tick paralysis usually begin 3-6 days after attachment of the tick to the cat's skin, and may include vomiting, coughing or weakness in the hind legs. The condition rapidly progresses until the cat is unable to stand. If not treated properly, tick paralysis is usually fatal.
3) stroke;
4) hit by car;
5) injury caused by fall/trauma to body
6) pinched nerve
6) neurological damage

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more scenarios, as I am not in the medical profession. ALL of the above require veterinary assessment and treatment. This is why we have expressed the need for you to take your pet to the vet. We are not trying to be hard on you, but I think those of us that have replied realize that the cat needs help and we can't really give you much but our suggestions, which all seem to indicate the need to take the cat to the vet. I'm sorry if we did not seem helpful, but the answer seems very clear cut to me. I hope that this may help you in your decision making. I wish I could help you more.
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:04 PM

All the Vet's I've been to examine the animal first, you don't usually have to pay till your leaving. So why not take the cat in, get him all checked out, then discuss a payment plan with the Vet.
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Thank you for those assessments, I will call a vet and describe whats wrong with him to see if they come up with any of the ones you have described.
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Alexiya,at 18yrs old you are no more considered a child,at least in my view...nobody here wants to give you a hard time,which nobody has,really..
It's the poor lame cat we are concerned about,your parents obviously don't care,maybe this cat got this way from an injury,a kick or stepped on by somebody you know
Your story is one of the worsed I've heard here and it really bothers the heck out of me that I cannot help the poor little cat.
Borrow the money and get your butt in gear,get a part-time job to pay off the loan.This little cat has obviously only you and he trusts you to take care of him,I bet you thought he was soooo cute as a kitten,but now he is suffering,HELP him!!!
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Question please help me

My 10 month old puppy Zoe is not acting like herself. She has recently been a lot more tired and less active then normal. Also she has been droling more and her breath smells funny. Her tonge also seems sort of lighter. Final her gums have been bleading a little bit and she is have some troble chewing her food. Could you please tell me what is up with her. That would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Caitlin, This puppy need to get to a vet asap. No waiting there is so much parvo going around and puppies can pick up infections so quickly you want to rule out anything that could be deadly to your pup. Drooling more so than usual is not the sign of a healthy pup and gum bleeding also. Please go to the vet. Where did you get your pup from this might help?
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

what is going on with this post???Are we talking about lame cat or sickly dog??????????????????
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Seems to be both now but it started with the cat
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten

I was not going to add to this thread but I just hope the cat gets to the vet ASAP. Most vets I know will think of the animal's welfare first. You can work out a payment plan later. I once saw a dog hit by a car and called the first vet I knew. She said to get the dog in as fast as I could and we'd figure out who the owner was and where to go from there. It turned out the owner was not in a great financial situation but folks helped himout and the dog had surgery and survived and was fine. (Laid up for awhile mind you but everyone asked was glad to help).

What about friends at school? Other relatives? Neighbours? People WILL help if they hear the situation. Or perhaps a rescue group could help you out? This cat needs urgent hep NOW!
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I would almost lay money on it people come here to get a rise out of other people..............
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I mean some people.......A few........Alot of these posts seem to come from the same person.......
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten

Hi,

I wonder about the legitamacy of it myself. But there are people who are not well informed about their pet's health and I am willing to answer if I can help.