Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Unhappy Vets Negligence?

Vets negligence? Is it possible for an adult, female dog to develope TERMINAL, lung cancer within two weeks?

My dog had every type of x-ray and blood work done, to see if there was Cancer or other illness taking place. They said that there was only an infection on her teeth and she needed her teeth cleaned. Two weeks later when I went to pick her up from "having her teeth cleaned" they were going to make another x-ray to make sure of whatever it was wrong with her. Few minutes later they tell me there was nothing they could do because she had Lung Cancer spread out all over and the only thing to do was to put her down.

Is this possible or they never actually did an x-ray or blood test when I took her the first time? $245 total and another $93 after the other x ray to "make sure" of whatever.

Any suggestions or answers will be appreciated! I missed my little one so much!
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling right now, Lucia I know how difficult it is to lose your friend so unexpectedly.

We had a dog that progressed about that quickly. He actually had hemangiosarcoma, an aggressive cancer of the spleen, and it spread to the lungs over a matter of weeks. Because it was soft tissue lesions, nothing showed in the first xrays, only in the final xrays when the lungs were totally involved. Blood tests didn't show anything out of the ordinary.

If have any doubts, I'd strongly encourage you to sit down with your vet and ask questions about those prior tests, though. Maybe the answers will help give you some peace of mind.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lucia.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your furry companion. If it would help you to post some pictures and tell us about her we would really enjoy it. patti
Old January 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that cancer follows no rules.

However, for your piece of mind, you can request copies of the xrays and always take them to another vet for a second opinion.

If your clinic uses digital xrays, you can get an actual copy on a disk. As a general rule, always a good idea to get a copy at the time the test is run. If your clinic still uses films, you will only be able to "borrow" them, copies are very expensive I believe.

I am so sorry for your loss

Tags
vets negligence?