Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple of birdie-pics from today...

Nothing fancy or exotic,but still,birds are birds,right!!
Attached Images

Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love the crow, chico!!! It looks like it's posing for your new camera. It's very handsome--I've always liked crows, too. Pretty cardinal, as well! You need to spoil your downy woodpecker more, though--there's no suet for the little darling!

I'm liking the new camera a lot, btw. More pics, pls.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

You and I are 2 of the few people who like Crows,I think
They have now started to come to my backyard,I just gave them some Salmon-skin from hubbies Salmon-Dinner(I don't like fish that much)and the Crows loved it.

The reason there is no suet left for the Woodpecker,is because the Squirrels eat it,I only give them one every second day,but usually it's gone in one day....they all have a party in my backyard
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Love the pic of the Cardinal. You are so lucky to have Cardinals at your feeder!
Here on PEI we don't have Cardinals....although every so often one shows up. They are considered RBA's here (RARE BIRD ALERT on my bird mailing list!).

I have never seen a Cardinal in real-life before....only pictures!!
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cardinals are one of my favourite birds, chico. I love mating season and watching the males go to the feeder, take a seed or peanut and bring it to his lady waiting in another tree.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
You can call me DOG!

I have a soft spot for Cardinals and your guy is absolutetly stunning!

The woodpecker looks pretty busy pecking at the tree seeing how it was an off day for suet.

I run the same schedule Chico2. Every other day for my party goers too.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Contributor

You don't think cardinals and woodpeckers are fancy or exotic? They are in my opinion. I'd love to have them here. They're beautiful. You can keep the crow though. They do such terrible damage to ewes that are weak from lambing or new born lambs. Actually, a friend has lambs arriving now and she said the Wedge-tail Eagles are taking the odd one. Can't find it in myself to hate them as I do crows though, which is strange. I suppose it's because crows are so cunning, here you could pick up a stick and point it at them and they just laugh(if they could, they would), but point a rifle at them and they're gone in a flash. Smart birds.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

GF,of course I don't have to worry about ewes or lambs,but I do love my Crows.
I started feeding a handicapped Crow,years ago,felt sorry for him in the winter.
In the spring he introduced me to a female and then their babies,so then there were four and my interest in Crows went on from there.
We then were hit with the West Nile virus,killing Crows
Now they are ok again,although I don't have more than 4 right now,no food is wasted at our house,they come here and let me know they want food.

Carolyn,Cardinals are very common here,we have a lot of Cedars around,they seem to nest in the Hedges,it's strange you don't have any in P.E.I

The only bird I am not too found of is the Blue Jay,who every summer steals babies out of my bird-houses,the Blue Jay is from the Crow-family,they are just lucky they are blue,so people love them.
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't tell from the photo, Chico, how big are Cardinals? Such a beautiful strong red in colour. Crows steal baby birds too, their favorite meal in the season here seems to be baby Wood ducklings. That sort of thing is just nature at its cruelest, I can accept that, but pecking eyes out of newborn lambs? No, can't say I like them at all. I could understand someone keeping them as a pet I suppose. They're such clever birds.
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I can surely understand how you would feel if a Crow pecked out the eyes on a newborn Lamb,that's terrible

A Cardinal is about 7 3/4 inches long,at least that's what my book says,it does not show in my picture,but they have a pointed crest on their heads.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, a bit like our Crested Shrike Tit in that one respect maybe? And our Restless Flycatcher. Both of those, like your Cardinal, have the slight erectile crest plus other stand out features, the former is bright yellow, black and white, while the Restless Flycatcher has glossy blue-black above, white below, and its voice is continuous whirring hisses when hovering, like a 'scissor's grinder', which is what their nickname is. Three once seen, never forgotten birds. I can't get over the Cardinal though, it's just so red, even its beak - unreal!
I have to be right on the ball in lambing season to keep the lambs and ewes safe from crows and have had a lamb pecked in the eye , so nowadays the minute the lamb arrives I put ewe and lamb in a yard and old stable right near the house, letting them out once I know the lamb is 'with it' enough to jump back from a crow . Fortunately the closer I get to having pure Dorper lambs, the stronger they are at birth.