Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Geek Club CEO

Need advice from rescuers/HS workers

So there's this little wee 3 year old, 5-lb poodle at our local HS. She was seized from a hoarder along with 40 other dogs. She is not housetrained, nor socialized, and most of her teeth have been extracted because they were rotting out. She's scruffy and pathetic-looking...

and DW is completely smitten.

I just got off the phone with one of the shelter staff to get more information on her, and we'd like to go see her on Monday.

We understand the challenges involved with taking her, and think she'll fit in with our pack of weirdos and offcasts just fine if given some time and TLC. We'd give her a really great home.

Here's the problem: this HS has a policy where all family members- human AND canine - must go to the shelter to meet the potential adoptee. They basically put everybody in a small pen just outside the main kennels and see what happens. It's loud, chaotic, and completely overwhelming for everybody. Personally, I think it's an absolutely terrible practice; the excitement and anxiety that this completely artifical environment creates is just setting up everybody for failure...excitement can easily lead to fear, agression, and all sorts of antisocial behaviours.

Sigh.

I know there's no way that we could bring our three dogs to this "pen" and have a successful first meeting. No way. BUT, I beleive that if we were to bring the little one home and calmly, slowly introduce her to the family, just as we have with all newcomers, we'd be just fine.

So here's the dillema. Do we forget about the whole thing? Do we ask shelter workers if we could try our own approach first? Or, do we lie through our teeth and say we have no other dogs at home right now?

I'd like to think that option #2 might work if we talked to the shelter staff about it, but the realist in me says that this is probably a hard-and-fast-rule for which they make no exceptions.

Can anybody advise us on this? What would YOU do?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post

Can anybody advise us on this? What would YOU do?
First off Bendy bless You and DW for wanting to add to the family...

Is there any one of your guys that would be behaved enough to do a meet and greet, without overwhelming the little guy...if there is then I would say that you just have the 1 dog.

if not

LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH and don't feel bad about it at all, sometimes shelter workers (no offence meant, my daughter was a shelter worker for 5 years) have their little rules and personal judgements which doesn't necessarily mean they are qualified.

Last edited by Chris21711; September 25th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I love chris's suggestion . It would be a little white lie . and white lies are allowed if nobody is harmed

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
banned user

I'm with Chris!!!
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
First off Bendy bless You and DW for wanting to add to the family...

Is there any one of your guys that would be behaved enough to do a meet and greet, without overwhelming the little guy...if there is then I would say that you just have the 1 dog.

if not

LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH and don't feel bad about it at all, sometimes shelter workers (no offence meant, my daughter was a shelter worker for 5 years) have their little rules and personal judgements which doesn't necessarily mean they are qualified.
LOL

I forgot about that option (option #4?)...bring only one dog. That would be Jaida of course...she'll be keyed up and crying (as she would be pretty much anywhere else) but will probably run away from the poodle

Seriously, I mean, look at this FACE!

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/adoption/petharbor_dogs.cfm (It's "TeeDee")
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
-

After looking at her sweet face ....if you have to LIE...no qualms about it, it's for a good cause.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yup, that face is worth a wee white lie

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM

She is absolutely gorgeous! And bless your heart for wanting to adopt her.

I would try to bring one of your dogs if you can. If that won't work I wouldn't hesitate to lie if it was me

I also think that type of situation is not very practical. In that type of environment, every dog/cat would act completely different. It's just asking for trouble. That being said, sometimes shelters have these rules that are not always the most well thought out. I know we generally have a hard and fast rule about not adopting out dogs to people who don't have fenced in yards, but we do bend the rules sometimes (thank goodness) as a fenced in yard should not be a reason for someone to not adopt a dog.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of her once you get her home!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
-

When Ethel worked in adoptions many times she would take a dog to the potential adopters home instead of doing an intro at the shelter, it was far less stressful for everyone involved. That being said, having three dogs with all different personalities imo Bendy is a situation that only you and DW could would be able to direct in the best interests of all involved.

cassiek They also had the "fenced yard" rule here but not anymore.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Live well, laugh often

I agree with the others advice .
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I also agree what is a little white lie, especially for this cutie. Knowing TeeDee would be going to a home that is willing to do the work to make her a fit for their band of misfits It would be worth a big fat lie as well. Good luck and hope to see pictures soon.
Remember you are lying for a good reason
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Bendy i agree 100% with the others and think Jaida would be an excellent spokes person for your pack...the shelter seeing her would HAVE to see you are willing to do anything you can to take care of an animal in your home. Goodluck to you and DW...
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
-

I also agree with the white lie
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

good luck bendy,that little sweetheart is worth a hundred little white lies
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
-

So this proves what a lying bunch we are
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Geek Club CEO

Seriously, what a bunch of scumbags!

(It's a good kind of terrible, though, I think I spent all last night reading up/watching videos on how to properly groom poodles I can't wait to get my hands on that little ragamuffin and make her shine )
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a sweetheart she is! My Keesha is a silver but she is a toy. Other than that they sort of look similar. Grooming isn't really difficult once you get them used to the machine. Of course my girl hates having her legs and face done so most times she walks around with hairy legs. Very hairy legs! Her face gets done regularily though so she can see. The most important part of grooming a poodle is their anus. The fur grows into it and can cause some major issues.

I am not going to add any more to the suggestions other to say you've got some good ones. Good luck!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Maybe we should have a disclaimer stating that this thread is not intended to endorse lying to get a dog from a shelter/rescue

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I also agree with the white lie
Or a BIG FAT BLACK ONE
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Maybe we should have a disclaimer stating that this thread is not intended to endorse lying to get a dog from a shelter/rescue

But this is only a teeny weeny white one and a good one at that.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Going to be the devils advocate here. Just a caution to only do this "lie" thing if you are certain the outcome will work out.

I volunteer at a shelter, and it is heartbreaking from a human standpoint and very hard on the dogs when adoptions don't work out. The number of people who bring a dog back because they aren't prepared to do the work it takes to train, care for a dog or supervise the dog around their possessions, other pets and children - is astounding. It doesn't sound like this is you, it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of dogs and what it takes to care for them and know how to do introductions. But there is always the chance the the intro might not work out. Shelter dogs have often been through a lot, and you can't always predict their behaviour.

I just kind of wanted to put into the thread that there is a good reason for these types of rules, cramped or less-than-ideal shelter surroundings not withstanding. It's not always about shelter staff having judgmental attitudes, but about wanting to prevent what they see on the other side of things when dogs get turned in.

It's really too bad the shelter doesn't have a better place or environment to do the intros in. The shelter I volunteer at recently got a big new building, but the old building had a tiny room for intros that was just as bad as what you describe. They didn't have much else to choose from. Have you asked the shelter staff (or get a friend to ask since you don't want to jeopardize your adoption) if the intro could be done someplace else? Even outside in a yard might be better than what you are describing.

Last edited by driver8; September 26th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Bold added so no-one takes it personal-like. offering another POV, nothing more.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:31 PM
-

driver8 , Bendyfoot is one of the most responsible dog owners I know , she knows what she's doing.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:

driver8 , Bendyfoot is one of the most responsible dog owners I know , she knows what she's doing.

Yup, I think I said that in my post. Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Going to be the devils advocate here. Just a caution to only do this "lie" thing if you are certain the outcome will work out.

I volunteer at a shelter, and it is heartbreaking from a human standpoint and very hard on the dogs when adoptions don't work out. The number of people who bring a dog back because they aren't prepared to do the work it takes to train, care for a dog or supervise the dog around their possessions, other pets and children - is astounding. It doesn't sound like this is you, it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of dogs and what it takes to care for them and know how to do introductions. But there is always the chance the the intro might not work out. Shelter dogs have often been through a lot, and you can't always predict their behaviour.

I just kind of wanted to put into the thread that there is a good reason for these types of rules, cramped or less-than-ideal shelter surroundings not withstanding. It's not always about shelter staff having judgmental attitudes, but about wanting to prevent what they see on the other side of things when dogs get turned in.

It's really too bad the shelter doesn't have a better place or environment to do the intros in. The shelter I volunteer at recently got a big new building, but the old building had a tiny room for intros that was just as bad as what you describe. They didn't have much else to choose from. Have you asked the shelter staff (or get a friend to ask since you don't want to jeopardize your adoption) if the intro could be done someplace else? Even outside in a yard might be better than what you are describing.
Have to agree. Lying could harm the dog in the long run.
I have to admit i find it odd that you just don't tell them you own three dogs. Either this dog, might not get along with other dogs, or you have a number limit of pets in your area.

It is better to be honest with the shelter. Just because you think that everything will be ok, doesn't mean that it will. Why not talk to the shelter. Maybe you can work something out with them, like having weekly visits with each and one of your dogs and see how they all get along.
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
When Ethel worked in adoptions many times she would take a dog to the potential adopters home instead of doing an intro at the shelter, it was far less stressful for everyone involved. That being said, having three dogs with all different personalities imo Bendy is a situation that only you and DW could would be able to direct in the best interests of all involved.

cassiek They also had the "fenced yard" rule here but not anymore.
That's terrific they did away with that rule. I think it's one of those rules that has become somewhat of a 'standard' with SPCA's, humane societies etc. but there really is not a good reason for it, IMO. Although I can certainly appreciate that it maybe is conveinant having a fenced in yard, it by no means is a indicator of what type of owner someone will be. Technically, I wouldn't have any of my dogs if that rule was set in stone

Quote:

I agree. I think TeeDee will fit in wonderfully with your crew Bendyfoot, and I would not hesitate to lie myself to adopt her. I think she will make a wonderful addition to your home.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Geek Club CEO

No offense taken, driver8...I know that many people haven't the first clue about how to take care of a "normal" dog, let alone a trainwreck

We've got challenging animals here...one who was returned to the HS 3 times before we took her because of human and dog agression....it took us 5 years to get to the point where she could be around other dogs...now she lives with two...she also had anxiety/OCD issues which very rarely appear these days. Another one who was dumped because she looks like a pittie. The third was raised in a byb, is a medical wreck...she used to shake like a leaf when we took her outside to pee because she'd never stepped foot outdoors...now we can hardly keep in inside . We're used to working extremely hard to keep our animals happy, emotionally/behaviourally balanced and healthy.

Given our animal's histories, and how we maintain stability and harmony in our pack, we've found a "system" for introductions that works very well for everybody, and keeps everyone safe and calm. We've got a good, stable pack of dogs who would be a great influence on a socially inept and scared dog like this little poodle.
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
I have to admit i find it odd that you just don't tell them you own three dogs. Either this dog, might not get along with other dogs, or you have a number limit of pets in your area.
I'm not at all worried how my dogs will get along with her, nor she with other dogs (she was in a foster home with many other dogs and did just fine). Nor is the pet limit an issue. What I'm concerned about is having one dog who is already terrified thrown in a small space with with three strange dogs who are going to be very excited in an environment that does nothing to promote a calm and natural introduction.

Last edited by bendyfoot; September 26th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Noah Grey and Driver8, you are absolutely right, I would never want somebody to lie, however, because we know Bendyfoot so well and what she has done with her pups we have no doubt this pup would be going to an exceptional home.

There is never any guarantees that animals will get along. They can at first, then something can happen to set one off. I am currently living that and have been for years.

I also think that many dogs miss very, very good homes due to the strict rules some have in place. I still believe that rescues/shelters should go on a one by one basis.

As Bendyfoot stated, asking for 3 dogs to meet a dog who is probably stressed may not give a true indication of what the dogs may be like a month or two down the road.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM

That's why I wonder if the behaviour and adoption staff at the shelter would be willing to do things differently IF they were approached with the background of Bendyfoot, this potential adopter and concerns about the intro environment. Oftentimes the "rules" are entirely bendable, but you don't know that unless you ask. The frontline desk staff don't give out all the exceptions that are made on an individual basis.

Bendyfoot, I would suggest that you (or a friend) phone and ask to talk to the adoption manager about your concerns. Someone with the authority and experience to know if rules can be bent in your case. That way you don't have to lie and you are also covered if there are hiccoughs in the introduction process. I know that the behaviour staff at my shelter do a lot of work with the dogs and can help during the initial introduction time as well.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
-

That's a very noble suggestion driver8 but if it backfires and the staff are not prepared to bend, then adoption is out of the question.....One cannot retract a conversation.