Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
i don't know why they were PTS for doing their job, ie protecting property, which is what they were trained to do.
And what was the reason for them killing a 5 month old baby?It's not like the baby was breaking into the Pub...Right?..For all we know the baby could have been sleeping.

A well trained guard dog is there to protect property.A well trained guard dog is not trained to maul someone.

I'll use my dog as an example.He is a trained Police Dog(Retired)..He worked with my brother.He is also SchH III titled.He also went through training at the Police K9 Unit.These dogs are trained to "hold" when they are let loose to catch someone.These dogs can do serious damage if they wanted to.But they won't,cause they were not trained that way.Can you imagine all the lawsuits that would be filed if these dogs ripped apart these suspects?

Even with the training my dog has had,he is the most loveable,gentle big suck around..... ...But piss him off,and he will let you know it.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Honest Contributor

mona my comment had a sarcastic slant... obviously these dogs were BADLY trained and the owner should be held accountable. who's the owner again? oh yeah... the kid's stepfather.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes poorly trained guard dogs along with stupid parents that is a recipe for disaster. What the hell were they doing downstairs in the pub while there baby is alone upstairs in the living quarters. They are the ones who need to be held accountable. Yes I understand why the dogs were put down but that would have never happened if the parents were watching there child. But nowadays nobody seems to be responsible for there kids, there is always someone or something else to blame.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Honest Contributor

well said, mastifflover... sigh.

Old September 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM

yes well said,
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Ok I know every one gets upset when something like this is posted but one of the main reasons for that unrest is that dog attacks are being too often generalized as 'pitbull attacks'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
But nowadays nobody seems to be responsible for there kids, there is always someone or something else to blame.
As a parent who takes responsiblity for my children, their actions and my own. I am starting to get a little upset at the generalizations such as these. If you want pitbulls and their owners to be treated fairly and not generalized, please show the same respect to parents who also don't want to be generalized.

Thank you.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about you but I have read about so many children being bitten and attacked, so where are the parents? Are they just stupid or do they need lessons on caring for their own kids or is that societies responsibility to care for them. I think not, I chose not to have kids and if I did have them I would not be leaving my child unsupervised with my dog no matter how much I trust him. I also would not be blaming everyone but my self for my irresponsible behaviour. I feel the same way about irresponsible dog owners.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

The point I am trying to make is just that. There are many parents that are responsible with children and pets. but we don't make the news. Just the few bad apples do. Generalizing dog owners, parents and kids does no good for anyone.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately the media does not focus on the good as a rule. Why do you think the only dog attacks reported in the papers are pit or rotties or big dogs you never hear about the vicious little dogs who bite or attack. They are not big attention getters. Believe me there are lots of those stories about small dogs doing severe damage to kids as well.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Melei'sMom,I understand what you are saying.I am a parent also.BUT,with many of these attack that occur are that of parents leaving their kids alone with dogs.Would you leave your baby alone with dogs around?I would hope not.

There have been MANY attacks/killings of kids done by dogs.And in many of these cases the parents were in another room.Or steped out of the room to answer the phone.My god,if you have to leave the room,take the child with you.

But I also see where mastifflover is coming from.And she is right.A professional trainer will also tell you not to leave a child unatended with a dog.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Believe me there are lots of those stories about small dogs doing severe damage to kids as well.
So very true.And we have talked about that on here some time ago.

I still remember hearing about the Chi who killed a newborn.:sad:
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Maybe not to this particular case, but I also feel the stupid parents comment to be unfair. I try my best to be a responsible parent to both my kids and pets, but accidents happen, dogs have instincts, some animals are not properly socialized, ill-bred, any number of reasons can come into play, my step daughter was attacked while playing with her aunts pit bulls, while an adult was watching, but it's not because her father is stupid.

It was because the dogs were excited and she was small. The dogs were socialized, trained and trusted with children before. I'm sorry, not every situation is the same.

There are times when the parent is at fault and there are times where the owner of the dog is at fault, and there are times when the dogs nature is at fault. It's dependant on the situation. IMO

Hey Techno-doll, I think you had something earlier, it does kind of look like it might have been set up, like the biological father owed someone something, oh, we'll hurt your kid, still nothing, so they kill him, and the partner. Pretty suspicious. IMO

Edited to add: While I am adamant about children never being left alone with dogs, I don't think that they knew that the dogs had access to the child.

Last edited by papillonmama; September 28th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Honest Contributor

remember the convo we were having in another thread, where we pinpointed that the majority of responsible dog owers also had well-behaved children? that parenting skills extended to both 2 and 4-legged kids?

seems to me the owner of the rotties was not only an irresponsible dog owner, but an irresponsible (step)parent as well...

Old September 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry if you were offended by the stupid parent comment but if you are a responsible parent of 2 and 4 legged you should not be offended this is not aimed at responsible people. It is aimed at irresponsible stupid people
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
I am sorry if you were offended by the stupid parent comment but if you are a responsible parent of 2 and 4 legged you should not be offended this is not aimed at responsible people. It is aimed at irresponsible stupid people
Thank you for the apology.

Quote:
But nowadays nobody seems to be responsible for there kids, there is always someone or something else to blame.
Just for future reference. Those are the words that generalized the comment to include all parents and the reason I got a little upset.

I'm all better now.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Just like everything else, the parents with the good kids and good dogs aren't the "squeaky wheels" and are not the ones we usually see.