Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Unhappy Need Help ASAP

I was riding my horse with my bf and we noticed a cat/ small dog thing on the side of the road. We stopped and walked up on are horses to see what it was. It turned out to be the most skinny cat I have ever seen. It had such bad mats and is so skinny that its skin is hanging of its body. I got of my horse and raced up to me I picked her up and handed my horse to my friend who lead him on her horse and I carried her home we locked her in a stall with water and food my dad won't let me keep her so the barn owner told us she would keep it there and we are paying for her food.

But we don't want to feed it to much and I picked up some canned food with lots of fat in it and some soft dry food for her. But what should we do to help her??

The lady keeping her for me was going to shave some fur off of her to see how bad she is. And bath her tonight. But we need some Help what should we do to help are new friend that I have named Trixie.

Photos will be post soon, To show her updates.

Last edited by (L)PETS; July 18th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
~Cat Servent~

Most important is hydration, small amounts of unflavoured pedialyte through a syringe maybe. Or small amounts of watered down wet cat food. It depends on how bad off she is, only a vet could assess that.

A vet visit will be very important, get her in asap.

And thank you for stopping and caring for this little kitty!
& that she'll pull through and find a good home!

Oh and if she has been bathed already, be sure to keep her warm, if she hasn't had food or water for a while and is bathed, she could get sick very quickly. IMO bathing a cat that is in poor condition is not a good idea.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM
banned user

I recommend a vet visit, If you truley care about the well being of thiscat you should take her to the vet.. make sure she is hydrated. Instead of a barn, why not find somebody who can take her in, and use a lrage dog kennel so she can be monitered more closely..or even a no kill animal shelter that could supply medical care. Please dont just leave her out there by herself. She needs to be in a nice warm house and be under constant supervision for the first few days (who ever could take her in could put the knnel in there room while they sleep and check on er everyfew hours) best of luck with this cat

BTW- Welcome to the forum, you will meet alot of wonderful people here that can give you better advize than me.

PS- dont let her eat to much, It can cause her to become sicker than she is already.
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM

She in the house in a cage with blackets and water. She is drinking on her own and ate a bit of food but we won't give to much food b/c we don't know how long its been since she had some food.

and thanks to you both for your advise
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
banned user

Oh..sorry, i thought you mentioned she was locked in a barn stall, sorry my mistake..

Has she pee'd /pooped since being in the possesion of you/who ever is taking care of her?
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM

yep she has one poop and that all she did when i was there
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for rescueing this poor cat, it would have surely died had you not.
Perhaps even a quick call to your vet to ask advice. I agree, baby steps in starting to feed this kitty and canned food only.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Contributor

(L)Pets,Thank's for taking care of this poor little cat
I have never dealt with anything like this,but agree to somehow get her to a vet and explain the situation,maybe the vet will give a discount.
Hope the little girl recovers from her ordeal
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
banned user

Do you by any chance live in Newfoundland???? If so, you could bring the cat to my mom free of charge, We could even take her off your hands if you'd like and take care of her and rehome her.

How is she doing this morning?????
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Bless you for saving this kitty. Good luck with the work ahead of you. If you are not going to be allowed to keep her I agree that a rescue may be the best place for her to ensure her vet needs are met.
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Trixie as we are calling her is doing really good she has been going to te wash roo and eatting and drinking we called the vet and they told us to bring her in ( They know us relly we, way to many animals) we went yesturday but he was on call with a horse who had fallen and broke her shoulder. And they offered to keep her till he could look at her. but we didn't want to leave her there b/c she has come to trust us and we didn't want her feeling like we left her. So tommorow we are taking her again. She is a clean and hair less kitty know. And is way more aware of every thing.

And sorry but I live I aldergrove bc.

I'm going to take photos of her today or tommorow and post them for you all
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
-

Thanks for saving this kittie , looks like she doing much better thanks to you
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Unhappy Sad Update

So trixe made it way longer then the vet told us. We were told that she was old about 23 years old and had a liver and kidney failure. The vet told us to put her down, But that wasn't good enough for me. I said no. She wasn't in pain or anything. So she lasted about 6 month. When we noticed she was starting to be in pain and we made a group decision that it was time to put her out of her pain. She had a happy and enjoy able life from the time we walked her home to the time we got her put down. rest in peace my little angel
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear that, (L)PETS. But bless you for giving her a happy few months

Trixie

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for giving her 6 months of love and care,your little angel left this world knowing she was loved.
little Trixie
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad:Oh I am so sorry to hear that, but it's so wonderful that she enjoyed her last months being taken care of and most important feeling loved. little Trixie.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M