Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Wanted: German Shepherd Mix

We live in the Kent County area in southwestern Ontario and are looking for a german shepherd puppy or a cross up to six months old or a rottweiler puppy cross up to six months old. We have four children and a fenced in yard and loads of love to give. I have searched our area and rescues and can't find any available. We do not want to pay a small fortune. I have read all the information on not giving a dog away and I agree with it but I still think the rescues charging $200 plus makes it harder for people who want to adopt. After paying the adoption charge then getting it spayed or neutered the costs can be as high as $400, you can get some purebreds for that much. We want a family dog, one to go with us places and will enjoy all the attention my family has to give. I am sure we will all be debating over who the dog gets to sleep with (myself inlcuded). My family has had large dogs before and I am aware of the pitfalls of large dogs and small children but in my opinion large breeds are better with children, so please help us find a puppy to love.
cdb
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Hi Cherie. Please check out www.petfinder.org. I saw a few Shep mix puppies on there just this morning. Some of the adoption fees might seem a little high, but remember that you're getting a dog that is health checked, de-flead and de-wormed. Some rescues/shelters offer refunds once you provide proof of spay/neuter, or if you get a pup that's old enough it might already be spayed/neutered. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a well-bred purebreed pup for less than $1000CDN, and you definitely wouldn't get a spay/neuter refund in that case. Good luck!
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:43 AM

i agree cherie

i have had a mastiff was raised with shepherds really good with children.
the only problem was when it got to a certain size the mastiff would knock them over with his tail.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the information, I contacted a foster parent for Barkin Rescue and she is going to send me a picture. She also informed that Barkin Rescue does not reimburse even after proof of neutering. If everything works out I guess I will just have to do some sweet talking to my husband. haha
Thanks
Cherie
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

There are low cost spay/neuter clinics where they don't charge as much
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

The spay/neuter should be included in the adoption fee, since NO reputable rescue should be adopting out intact animals!! No exceptions.
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree dogs should not be adopted out intact, but she is looking for a pup under 6 months - most vets in Ontario, including the cheaper clinics, and shelters, will not do it before 6 months.
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the input. Where and how do you find a REPUTABLE cheaper clinic?
Cherie
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

For puppies and kittens too young to s/n, the adoption fee should still include the cost of this, and the rescue should ensure that it's done.

Here is a puppy at A.R.F. They are calling it a GSD/Lab, but it looks like a Rottie mix to me.

VERY cute!!!
Kayne
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you on this point, I was addressing your earlier comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
For puppies and kittens too young to s/n, the adoption fee should still include the cost of this, and the rescue should ensure that it's done.
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Masonville Animal Hospital
London, ON
519-660-1770

has been fine for my rescues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie
Thanks for all the input. Where and how do you find a REPUTABLE cheaper clinic?
Cherie
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Talking Just an update

We are going to look at the puppy on Saturday that I inquired about that was rescued by Barkin Rescue
Thank you to "Writing4fun" who gave me some info that enabled me to find this little furry bundle of adorableness. (is that a word, I don't know and don't care I am to excited LOL)
Cherie
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

Shep Mix

Here is a post on Craigslist with the contact email:

Judy is a young shepherd and golden lab mix that needs you to love her. She was rescued from a terrible situation, then placed in a forever home for about 3 years. There she was happy and secure for all that time. Her new 'Mom' recently changed jobs and cities and could not bring Judy with her...now this poor girl is lonely again....she thought she had found happiness, but it was snatched from her. Can you help her to feel love and security again? She has so much love to give....let her give it to you!!

Judy is currently in a kennel in Toronto although she is part of the U.S. based rescue group Sentient Creatures.

To see her photo and read her bio, please visit http://www.sentientcreatures.org

You can contact us at: 1-212-865-5998 or via email at
junkyard_dogs@hotmail.com and we can arrange a visitation in Toronto.

Thank you from Judy

Hope this helps, Marjorie.

I also recently adopted a 3 month old pure bred shih-tzu and paid $250. The rescuer said she's too young to be spayed so I will have to get her spayed when she's old enough.
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Cherie, why did you delete your thread? A few people here took the time to try and help you and I"m sure they would be interested in knowing about the dog you ending up getting.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Sorry

I deleted my thread because we did adopt a puppy and so I didn't want people to still think we were looking. I really didn't think anyone would care, but hey I would love to share my happy ending. We went on Saturday to meet Oscar after some phone and email conversations with his foster mom, who by the way is a wonderful lady! She had sent me some pictures via email and I fell in love with Oscar before I even met him. We took him home that day and he has adjusted really well. He loves my kids and my kids adore him. For the first 3 nights he slept in bed with my husband and I and last night he slept with my daughter. Oscar has only had a couple of accidents but is excellent for going outside specially since he is only 7 weeks old. Again this is due to the wonderful patience and love he received from his foster mom, Marian. We have had him for less than a week but I could not imagine life without him now. Oscar is truly one of the family. :love: Thanks to all who helped me find him and the wonderful advice I received from everyone who posted on my thread.
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

'Course we care, and happy endings just make our day!!

Congrats on your new little booger, and I hope you will continue to share stories and pics of him with us.
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Congrats, Cherie! And yes - we're all waiting for pictures, pictures and some more pictures!
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Congratulations

Enjoy your little angel. I look forward to seeing pictures real soon !