Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM

Pregnant Cat is Sneezing

My foster cat started sneezing a 3 days ago. I got her 6 days ago from a shelter. I called two vets, but they told me they couldn't do anything since she is pregnant (we don't know when she got pregnant, but she is obviously at least at her 7th week of pregnancy by the size of her belly and her attitude).

Today, I noticed she started to breathe a little heavily. Her eyes are okay, but there's often clear fluids comming out of her nose. She is still eating, drinking and going to the lit, but she seems to have lost her energy (I don't know if it's because she is soon to be due or if it's because of her sickness). What should I do? Should I still go to the vet (even though they can't madicate her and even if it's going to stress her a lot?)? Is there anything I can give her (like herbal medicine) to help her without endangering her babies? And most of all, are the babies going to be okay or are they going to get infected to? What could she have and how long unil it heal (best and worse case scenario)?

Thank you for your help, I'm really worried.

Marilou
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Poor kitty! :sad:
Personally, if you've called two vets who said they can't do anything, I wouldn't take her to them - it will just stress her out, and you could come away with no answers.
As for herbal remedies - I'm not sure - you might want to ask the vet if it would be okay to give her L-Lysine - it boosts up their immune system and helps them beat some colds.
I've got my that this will pass soon and she'll be fine to give birth!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

If she's otherwise behaving normally and the fluid remains clear, she'll probably be OK, but if any of her secretions become coloured or she starts breathing through her mouth, definitely take her in. Even if they can't give meds, they'll be able to help her.
Fatigue is normal. Poor thing, just when she needs her energy the most.
You could try simmering some water and a teaspoon of oregano oil (which must be the pure product, no other oils or additives). The steam from this might help (oregano is has anti-bacterial qualities). Some people put a few drops in their food but I would not recommend this for a pregnant cat.
Could the panting mean she is in labour?
Either which way, I'd be in close touch with the vet.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM

Thank you to both of you for your answers. This reassured me a little. Her fluids from her nose are clear and she's breathing more normally now (she's not in labor yet). She also still eat normally. I was told that some respiratory diseases can be transmitted from one cat to another even when the cat is healed. Do you think she could give this virus to her babies if she gives birth in a few days (if only I could know for sure when she is going to give birth )

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge. If it gets any worse, I'll immediatly call the vet (I found two phone numbers for emergency vet in case she starts having trouble breathing during the night).

Marilou
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
-

Hi Marilou , are you fostering for the humane society or a rescue or else ? I think they should help you with this , I mean if this gets worse. But it looks like she's feeling better now ?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hi Marilou , are you fostering for the humane society or a rescue or else ? I think they should help you with this , I mean if this gets worse. But it looks like she's feeling better now ?
Hi Frenchy,

I'm fostering for the SPCA (I don't know it it's the same order of letters in english...it's the animal protection society of Canada). I called them too as well as the vets. They are helping me in the way that I can go to a vet for only 5$ if I need too. But they told me to wait and see if it heals by itself, so that's what I'm doing (although it worries me to be unable to help her) Also, their vet is a little far from where I live, so I'll proably spend to whole cost to get her to a nearby vet if I need too. I'm wondering if there could be vets that would do a home visit when the kittens are born to make sure they will be okay. Thank you so much for the vibes!

Badger and Phoozles: I was told that L-syne can't be given to pregnant cat, but I'll definitly try oregano oil. What do you both think of giving her a bit of kitten milk replacer: isn't it supposed to be good for the immune system? Thanks again!

Thanks for the vibes
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
-

Oh so you're fostering for spca Montréal ? I would call their vet and just ask if you need to bring the mom cat in , just in case ...
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Bless you for fostering this poor girl. You are giving those kittens a start in life that wouldn't otherwise be possible. Giving birth and nursing in a shelter is much too stressful on momma.

If the fluids stay clear she should be OK, but once they become mucousy or she stops eating she needs to see a vet.

Top quality, growth/kitten canned (she needs lots of fluids if she has a cold and is going to be producing milk) food will also help her immune system as it is going full tilt right now and she needs as many calories with quality (human grade, no byproducts) protein as she can get. Giving birth and nursing those little sweeties will take a lot out of her.

Good luck and we would love to see pictures.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Bless you for fostering this poor girl. You are giving those kittens a start in life that wouldn't otherwise be possible. Giving birth and nursing in a shelter is much too stressful on momma.

If the fluids stay clear she should be OK, but once they become mucousy or she stops eating she needs to see a vet.

Top quality, growth/kitten canned (she needs lots of fluids if she has a cold and is going to be producing milk) food will also help her immune system as it is going full tilt right now and she needs as many calories with quality (human grade, no byproducts) protein as she can get. Giving birth and nursing those little sweeties will take a lot out of her.

Good luck and we would love to see pictures.

Thank you so much! She is now eating kitten food (soft and hard, but mostly soft because that's what she prefers) of great quality. I'm more and more worried about her. Even though she is still eating, it makes a terrible sound when she does (asthma like) and she is sneezing more and more. I can't see her fluids, because she is always licking her nose before I can see any. Also, her behavior changed and I don't know if it's from the end of her pregnancy or the hillness: she doesn't ask to be pet anymore (wich she would do all the time when she got here), she stopped purring and she is always hiding, but in a scared way, in my opinion. I doesn't seem like she is just searching for a comfortable place to hide to give birth, more like she was scared of something and wanted to hide from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Oh so you're fostering for spca Montréal ? I would call their vet and just ask if you need to bring the mom cat in , just in case ...

Yes, SPCA Montréal (it's my first time )I can't wait until the vet from SPCA opens (in an hour) to call again (it's one of the two vets I called two days ago, as well as the lady at the SPCA). It's not an emergency (she is still eating well and breathing fine, although it seemd harder for her to breathe than yesterday), but I really want to talk to them again. If she needs to see a vet, I would like to find a vet that could come to my place so that it won't stresses her anymore. Any of you know of a vet in Montréal that does home visits? Is it very expensive? I'll keep searching and keep you guys posted. I'd do anything to make her feel better. I know it isn't as bad as in the shelter, but she seems so vulnerable and fragile, I feel like crying when I pet her.

Marilou
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She may have an URI, needing antibiotics. Glad you are going to recall the vet.

I fostered a momma and her 7 kittens (kept the momma). It was such a rewarding experience as you too will find. Can't wait to do it again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
She may have an URI, needing antibiotics. Glad you are going to recall the vet.

I fostered a momma and her 7 kittens (kept the momma). It was such a rewarding experience as you too will find. Can't wait to do it again.
I understand why you kept the momma: I feel like I'm gonna miss Maya so much if I can't keep her. :sad: I know I will love the kittens very much too, but all kittens are adorable. It's not the same love as loving an adult cat and getting that animal to trust you.

So, I have an appointment with the vet at 1:40 this afternoon. I'm glad I won't be alone in this anymore, but I'm still anxious about Maya's health as well as her babies (If she need antibiotics, I hope it won't hurt them).

When I come back tonight, I will have more information to share. I that everything will be fine. I feel so powerless in front of this situation. Ah, well...
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Marilou, I know you may think I'm nuts and you won't be the first (nor the last I'm sure) so I don't mind.

Try hanging some amber on her! If you have a bracelet, use it as a necklace for her, or a ring/pendant on a regular cat collar.

Might help the UTI but will certainly help the wheezing from a congestion, and totally harmless to the kittens.

I was told of this last fall, by my mom who had heard of a baby being cured of chronic respiratory infections. I tried it on my kitten when he got a cold (stuffy nose, wheezing, fever) and it really helped and fast!

Why and how this works I have NO idea, and "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" as Rhett Butler would have said
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sarah, you are vindicated!!

I found this on a site so Sarah, your mom was right. I guess Amber really does have healing qualities!
I did some cutting to take out identifying names and stuff mods.

Wearing Baltic Amber close to the skin is a traditional European remedy for baby teething. Amber is a natural analgesic & will help calm a baby without the use of drugs.

How does it work?
When worn close to the skin, the baby’s body temperature helps release healing oils from the amber, which is then absorbed into the blood stream.

What does amber do?
It will reduce red, inflamed cheeks & drooling. It has been reputed to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, accelerate wound healing, reduce inflammation of the throat, ear & stomach & assist with respiratory infection.

What is Amber made from?
Amber is a fossilised tree resin, not a stone. It is therefore warm to touch & light to wear. The resin was produced by plants 40-50 million years ago! The plants would have used this resin as an antibiotic against viruses, to heal cuts or wounds. Now fossilised, its healing properties have been captured and are released once it has been warmed by the skin.

Has any research been done on Amber?
Yes. It is known that the active ingredient in Baltic Amber is succinic acid. This was documented by Robert Koch, pioneer of modern bacteriology & Nobel- prize winner (1886). He confirmed its positive influences and discovered that there was no risk of the accumulation of surplus amounts of succinic acid in the human organism. Recent scientific research has also proven its benefits. It strengthens the body & improves immunity. The unfavourable environmental conditions in today’s world block the natural flow of energy related processes in cells. These blocks affect cellular metabolism & significantly weaken the immune system, but the natural energy of amber is able to stimulate its renewal.

Who recommends the therapeutic use of Amber?
Amber’s anti-inflammatory & therapeutic properties are recognised by allopathic medicine. In Austria, Switzerland & Germany, Amber Teething Necklaces are sold in local pharmacies as Doctors have long known about the healing properties of Amber which include it calmative, analgesic & anti-inflammatory properties.

How is Amber collected?
Many methods of Amber production have been used throughout history. Collecting of Amber pieces from the shore remains the most popular.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilouwl View Post
I understand why you kept the momma: I feel like I'm gonna miss Maya so much if I can't keep her. :sad: I know I will love the kittens very much too, but all kittens are adorable. It's not the same love as loving an adult cat and getting that animal to trust you.

So, I have an appointment with the vet at 1:40 this afternoon. I'm glad I won't be alone in this anymore, but I'm still anxious about Maya's health as well as her babies (If she need antibiotics, I hope it won't hurt them).

When I come back tonight, I will have more information to share. I that everything will be fine. I feel so powerless in front of this situation. Ah, well...
Good luck Marilouwl!

Old January 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I found this on a site so Sarah, your mom was right. I guess Amber really does have healing qualities!
I did some cutting to take out identifying names and stuff mods.

Wearing Baltic Amber close to the skin is a traditional European remedy for baby teething. Amber is a natural analgesic & will help calm a baby without the use of drugs.

How does it work?
When worn close to the skin, the baby’s body temperature helps release healing oils from the amber, which is then absorbed into the blood stream.

What does amber do?
It will reduce red, inflamed cheeks & drooling. It has been reputed to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, accelerate wound healing, reduce inflammation of the throat, ear & stomach & assist with respiratory infection.

What is Amber made from?
Amber is a fossilised tree resin, not a stone. It is therefore warm to touch & light to wear. The resin was produced by plants 40-50 million years ago! The plants would have used this resin as an antibiotic against viruses, to heal cuts or wounds. Now fossilised, its healing properties have been captured and are released once it has been warmed by the skin.

Has any research been done on Amber?
Yes. It is known that the active ingredient in Baltic Amber is succinic acid. This was documented by Robert Koch, pioneer of modern bacteriology & Nobel- prize winner (1886). He confirmed its positive influences and discovered that there was no risk of the accumulation of surplus amounts of succinic acid in the human organism. Recent scientific research has also proven its benefits. It strengthens the body & improves immunity. The unfavourable environmental conditions in today’s world block the natural flow of energy related processes in cells. These blocks affect cellular metabolism & significantly weaken the immune system, but the natural energy of amber is able to stimulate its renewal.

Who recommends the therapeutic use of Amber?
Amber’s anti-inflammatory & therapeutic properties are recognised by allopathic medicine. In Austria, Switzerland & Germany, Amber Teething Necklaces are sold in local pharmacies as Doctors have long known about the healing properties of Amber which include it calmative, analgesic & anti-inflammatory properties.

How is Amber collected?
Many methods of Amber production have been used throughout history. Collecting of Amber pieces from the shore remains the most popular.
Thank you Gerri !! I'd looked it up too at one point, but lost the web site
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilouwl View Post
Oh yes, you will get attached to the precious beauties, but just keep thinking you are doing this for the kittens, not for yourself.

As for loving momma, you are right, if she could talk, she would tell you how much she loves you for helping her and her kittens, but I am sure you can see it in her eyes already. I still see it in Sweet Pea's eyes, she thanks me everyday! There is something about stray adult's, they are so appreciative of everything you do for them. Here is a link to a photo album of my fosters:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/debghisla...ey=WEE9g7zWrNE

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Love4himies; January 24th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What's the verdict? I hope it is just a treatable cold?
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, you will get attached to the precious beauties, but just keep thinking you are doing this for the kittens, not for yourself.

As for loving momma, you are right, if she could talk, she would tell you how much she loves you for helping her and her kittens, but I am sure you can see it in her eyes already. I still see it in Sweet Pea's eyes, she thanks me everyday! There is something about stray adult's, they are so appreciative of everything you do for them. Here is a link to a photo album of my fosters:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/debghisla...ey=WEE9g7zWrNE
The album is great, they are all adorable!

Here are the news:
It is just a cold and they gave her an injection of a fluid under her skin (to keep her hydrated) as well as antibiotics for a week (in case she also has a virus). Nothing is supposed to harm the babies, but they will probably catch the cold once they are born. I might have to go back to the vet with the whole little family.

So, these were the good news. The bad ones are the following: Maya got really stressed out and she doesn't trust me anymore. She's hiding under the bed and wont come out. She even urinated all over her on our way there because she was so stressed.

The worse news is that my boyfriend has enough of her already. We leave in a semi-loft and the only way Maya can be separated from the other cats is to keep her in our room. He thinks that I care too much about her, he doesn't want to keep her after and he said he didn't think she would stay in our room the whole time when we got her. She often awakes us during the night because she is noisy or because she jumps on him. Plus, he thinks it's too much trouble to take care of a sick cat that is going to have sick kittens anyways. This is getting a huge fight between us and I'm afraid I'll have to choose between saving my relationship or saving Maya. I'm so desperate I just look at her and I know I can't leave her and her babies like that. I keep crying and I find no solutions..
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Great news for Maya that it's treatable! The non trust thing she will get back. She has been through a lot in her life, poor thing. She probably thought you were taking her back to the shelter. :sad:
The other thing.......wish I could help but the only thing I can think of is that boyfriends are a dime a dozen. Sorry, love me, love my cats and everything that goes with me.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't anything serious - the kittens will probably catch it, but after some antibiotics, they should be fine.

Having a stressful pet situation can be stressful in the household. When my kitties were sick, things were tense with my boyfriend and I - I felt he wasn't doing enough to help, and he thought I was too doting on them. The good news is that everything resolved itself in my situation when the cats were on the mend.

I would stay the course until the kittens are born. I can guarantee that once those little critters are running around, he'll change his tune. You're just in an emotional place right now - all of you are - and if your relationship had strength before this, you'll get through it. That's my anyway.

Old January 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Marilou,thank you for taking care of this poor little momma
As for the BF,think long and hard before you give up on the kitty because of his feelings towards her.
If you are already crying now,can you imagine how you would feel having to put her back in a cage at the shelter,all because the BF gave you an ultimatum,that might very well destroy your relationship.
I know who I would choose,but it is not always as uncomplicated as that.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM

Thank you to all. I'm feeling better now. I talked with BF and it's okay, we just have different ways to see some things, but he's ready to keep going as it is with Maya (as long as I'm the one taking care of her, wich I don't mind at all). I was afraid he gives me an ultimatum, but he didn't.

As for the trust, I really hope I can gain back Maya's.

I'll write in a few days to tell you all how she is improving. Thanks for the advice and support. Also, I'll ask my mom for her amber necklace, if it can help, I'll give it a try!
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear the vet visit was productive, anyway. And Maya will warm up to you again--she's had a touch of love now and won't want to give it up! Hope she's better soon, too!

Also happy to hear that you cleared things up a bit with the BF.

Was the vet able to determine how close she was to giving birth?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Glad to hear the vet visit was productive, anyway. And Maya will warm up to you again--she's had a touch of love now and won't want to give it up! Hope she's better soon, too!

Also happy to hear that you cleared things up a bit with the BF.
Thanks! I know my boyfriend sounds mean in my post, but he works with young children all day long (primary school teacher) and he really needs his good night of sleep. I'm glad too we were both able to find our way to be happy in this situation and to understand each other. I caught him petting Maya and he helped me with her meds...he does likes her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Was the vet able to determine how close she was to giving birth?
Unfortunatly, no. But she isn't producing milk yet, so I guess there is still a few days left. Either she will have big kittens, or a lot of them, because her belly is big and there's a lot of activity in there! I hope it does takes long enough so that she heals and has enough energy to give birth in a healthy way.

I'm a little worried at the moment, because since we went to the vet, she changed a lot. She haven't eaten since then and I don't know if it's because she is due soon or because she is too scared. Also, she practically won't move, she just lays there on the floor. Her sneezing disapeared, though and she breathes better. How long should I wait before force feeding her? She is still drinking. I put a tiny bit of food in her mouth this morning (as big as a little pea) and she almost threw up. Could her meds, stress or pregnancy do that? I'll call the vet this afternoon if she still haven't eaten in two hours.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I hope I'm not bothering you guys too much. I just never took care of a pregnant cat before and my other cats never got sick either (except for a little ulcer in Zoes eyes and I was very anxious the whole time it lasted). I am very grateful of your help and kind words. I'm sure the joy in Maya's eyes that you will see from the pictures I will post when she will have given birth will make you see how much it was worth it!

Last edited by Marilouwl; January 25th, 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Marilouwl - I just read in my cat book that a mom who is about to give birth will refuse all food and may vomit. I don't know if this helps or not.
I can give you more info from the book if you want. This site seems to have good detailed info.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=919

http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/...ing-birth.html

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 25th, 2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added site
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Marilou,I am glad you resolved the issue with your BF,I can understand him needing his sleep.
I too have never had a pregnant cat,so I really have no advice to give,but I but she is due any day now.
I am sure you are worried,it's a huge responsability,but Lov4Himies went through the same thing and i am sure can give you lots of pointers.
It was great for all of us,she showed us pics and videos,I hope you can do the same,at least pics and Ieverything will go ok,with no complications
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Thank you Chico I'll make sure to post videos, pictures and stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Marilouwl - I just read in my cat book that a mom who is about to give birth will refuse all food and may vomit. I don't know if this helps or not.
I can give you more info from the book if you want. This site seems to have good detailed info.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=919

http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/...ing-birth.html
14+kitties, these readings were very interesting and even though I had made researches on the subject, I was able to learn a few new things. For example, I knew I needed to have a sterilized pair of scissor at hand during the queening, but I didn't know what for! I assumed it was to cut the cord if Maya didn't do it, but I didn't know how to do so (I hope I won't need to take action though).

So, I do have everything ready now (including the rice bags to heat the babies, the feeding syringes, a comfortable and dark place for Maya to give birth and a box where I will keep the babies warm when the others are coming, soft and clean tissues, lots of extra sheets, 24h vet phone number...), I just need Maya and the babies to be ready! It might take a few more days, but I'm ready!
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
-

I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles you've been having Marilouwl (and I'm so glad to be single )

Just give momma cat time to relax , I'm sure she'll come around once again. good luck with the delivery , it should be just fine.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
-

Are you feeding her kitten food? Good luck with the delivery.
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks Frenchy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Are you feeding her kitten food? Good luck with the delivery.
Thank you Rainbow and, yes, I'm feeding her with kitten food (soft and solid).

There's one problem though: Maya stopped eating. Litteraly. I didn't want to panick, I thought she might be giving birth soon and heard it might be normal. But two days went by and she haven't eaten AT ALL. PLus, she isn't that close to giving birth for the following reasons: no sign of milk, she isn't restless (actually, she is always sleeping, still fighting that cold she has) and she isn't hidingin dark places. She will drink water if I remind her too, but food: no! I tried everything, even bad "cat candies" they sell at the store, yogurt, tuna, 4 type of different food and two types of cat treats. I forced her to eat a little ans she trew up, I don't know what to do and how long I should wait before taking her to the vet again. I'm thinking, maybe she got so scared when we went to the vet, she refuses to eat, so I really don't want to put her through this again unless it's necessary.

I'll go call the emergency vet right away and see what he has to tell...