Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 15th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

a while back...

A while back I remember a thread talking about homeless people and pets... This weekend, when I was picking my friend up to go see Cavalia, I parked right around the corner from Berri/UQAM Metro. I had to pass by it to get to her street. On the corner were three young adults with a pb pitt and a pitt/lab cross puppy. I happened to have dog food in the back of my van for rescue distribution. I walked back over to them and asked if they would like some food for their dogs. They immediately said yes and came with me to get a bag for the pup and one for the adult. What impressed me about them was that they were extremely polite and very thankful for the food. I asked if they were there often and they said yes. Does someone live in the area that I could leave some food supplies for the dogs? I thought I could package it up in weekly supplies, as they can't carry too much and then maybe the person who has the food could just meet them out front of the metro weekly? I live 45 minutes from there or I would make a weekly trip to help. Thanks.
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Doesn't the spca have a food bank?
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW the SPCA actually supplies rescues with dog food?? Seriously???

Maybe you could go tell the young men about this wonderful program and let the SPCA assist them. Perhaps this will teach them some responsibility and you won't have to give away your free portions that were allocated to your rescue work to others.
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM

That's really nice of you to do. I don't live in the area or else I would offer assistance.

Last edited by Georgiapeaches; August 15th, 2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

BMD is not in Ontario,I dont think the lunacy has spread to Quebec,yet.
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
BMD is not in Ontario,I dont think the lunacy has spread to Quebec,yet.
Oh my mistake Lucky for them!!!
Old August 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'd just like to get some of it to dogs who really need it like these street guys dogs.

Also, am in Montreal so there are no restrictions on pitbulls whatsoever except in two cities, that you are not allowed to own them at all.

Last edited by BMDLuver; August 18th, 2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So the SPCA doesn't have a food bank for people to go pick up food if they don't have it for their dogs? BUT they'll give it free reign to rescues?

That sounds a little wonky to me. Are you sure they dont' have a food bank set up?

Keep in mind that youth tend to hang out and meet up but they may not necessarily be homeless or 'street kids'. I used to hang out myself, as most teens and youth do, but I wasn't homeless. Can't tell just by looking at someone The grunge look is quite popular these days!

If you are interested in doing outreach, perhaps talk to some of the youth groups or homeless shelters. Even better suggest this to the manager of the SCPA that you get the food from, it would be a wonderful program.

So you buy food as well and donate that to Cornwall? Again perhaps if the SPCA gets donations they can send it to shelters that can use it or groups that need it. Sounds like there is a gold mine there that nobody is tapping into accordingly.
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I will also find out if the program through the bond foundation has any food bank set up so then they can distribute the food accordingly. There is some type of street program but I think it's for vaccinations and altering only.

These guys were definitely homeless. They would not be carrying that much stuff with sleep rolls, and changing clothes otherwise I don't think?

Last edited by BMDLuver; August 18th, 2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if Dans La Rue would help you. I often see dogs tied up outside their 'headquarters' on Ontario (near Papineau). They are very much committed to 'the whole person' and doggie companions would certainly fall under that heading. If you found a distribution point, how do you imagine it functioning, I mean the logistics.

Lovely idea, I had no idea there was so much free food floating around out there.
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM

We have been getting alot of our dry food from Wal-Mart for the past few months. They give us all of their ripped/damaged bags and it amounts to quite a bit!! All we had to do to get the food is to write a letter to the pet department on our letterhead and ask for it to be donated. Just an idea for any shelters or rescues out there that are having a hard time finding donated food (and don't mind feeding a mixture).
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I wonder if Dans La Rue would help you. I often see dogs tied up outside their 'headquarters' on Ontario (near Papineau). They are very much committed to 'the whole person' and doggie companions would certainly fall under that heading. If you found a distribution point, how do you imagine it functioning, I mean the logistics.

Lovely idea, I had no idea there was so much free food floating around out there.
Thanks Badger, that's who I was thinking of... I am going to try to contact them about some food... It's in the right area of town to help most of the people.

I was thinking that it would need to be a few locations... ie. NDG, St. Laurent area... etc..
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Food

Hey BMDLuver,

I'm the one who had started that thread a while back, as I live very near these squeegee-wannabes. I had offered some of them food last winter, and had told me no, as they get the food from Le BOn Dieu dans La Rue. This may be a different batch of youngsters, though. I have given food to some last summer, and they gladly accepted it. There are so many right around the Berri metro station.....

You can PM me if you want with the details of these youngsters, and I can see if I see them. I have to admit most of these people are very polite, they just dress weird and smoke pot..... But they do love their dogs, that I strongly believe.

If I can be of any help in getting some food to them, I will gladly do it.

Last edited by Lil'RickyMom; August 17th, 2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Thanks LilRicky'sMom. As soon as I have the next food donation I will bring some down to you so you can distribute to those you think need it. The guys were polite and there dogs were very social.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Owned by goldens

Homeless kids and dogs

Last year the kids at school made shoe bags and filled them with necessities for Dans la rue. One of items on the list provided was dog food so I guess this is where they have been getting their food.

BMD - If you need help let me know. I am on the south shore but if I can help I will.

I must say that personally I think it is wonderful that these homeless kids have found a dog that gives them unconditional love. The reason most of them are on the streets is because no one gave a darn about them.