Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM

potty training_ anxiety issues??

I am exhasuted will my little 13 week old jack russell ever be house trained she seems to do great for like 4 days but can never make it 5 days then has a mistake then really great for 4 days or so. Last night she woke me up at 4 am to go for a pee( great) then wakes me up again at 6 am after the fact once she has done her # 2 that is her down fall her # 2 she has not gone #1 in weeks. We are going away for 4 days leave this morning and I swear she knows that something is really up as u see she and our 7 yr old mix dasuhand are going elsewhere and not come with us do u think they can really sense that she is totally being a terror this morning since 6 am she sees all her stuff at the door??? PLEASE HELP
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog woman
I am exhasuted will my little 13 week old jack russell ever be house trained she seems to do great for like 4 days but can never make it 5 days then has a mistake then really great for 4 days or so. Last night she woke me up at 4 am to go for a pee( great) then wakes me up again at 6 am after the fact once she has done her # 2
it's unrealistic to expect a 13 wk old pup to not have accidents. My dog was still having an occassional accident at 5-6mths. pups have accidents. some take longer to train than others. I hope you are leaving this pup with someone who can continue the housetraining while you are away, or it may be back to square 1 when you return home.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Performance Spaniels

You dog is only a baby.. You will potentially need to get up in the night to take it out for weeks.. It shouldn't necessarily have to wake you. Be easier on both of you to set an alarm and just get up to relieve it.

We worked really hard on potty training and we still had occasional accidents a 5-6 months old. At 13 weeks you are expecting far far too much.
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'd say your JRT is exceptional to be this far already. Heck, the little thing should only weigh about 5lbs at this point in time which means that combination of age and body weight should only be lasting about 3-4 hours. Don't be surprised if your going away doesn't result in starting back to square one on return. Changes upset little ones and confuse their schedules.
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Animal Lover

It's taken upwards of 6 months for our guys to be housebroken. They still have the occasional accident. We have one that will ask you to go out, whining, jumping etc. The other one will just quietly go off in a corner. It's important to watch for their signals. If they dog comes over and nudges you, take it out, if he whines, take him out. Also make a big deal about it. In a high pitch voice ask if he wants to go out, or whatever word you have associated with outside. It takes time and patience and lots of carpet cleaner, but you'll get through it before you know it!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM

If your problems are with #2, you may want to start timing her. How long is it between the time she eats, and the time she goes. That might give you a hint as to when to watch her extra close, or better yet just go ahead and take her out when it is about time. Good luck!
P.S. I have found that using the citrus scented kitchen wipes works really well for eliminating the smell.
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM

HELLO
I wanted to reply sooner but been a crazy week Both lucky ( jack russell) and princess( dashhound/pincher cross) survived there weekend away . Lucky managed to have 5 accidents in the 4 days so it was back to square one when we got home. It took her 3 accidents the 1 st day back then we where all good to go again.