Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM

new puppy

have a lttle propbelm hopefull someone can help.
just got a new puppy 7 days ago. someone else picked up my new puppy because it came from vary far. so the problem the person who picked it up told me to give it oven baked puppy holistic dog food. the poor little guys has had diarrea. so i talked to the breeder and she told me no that she fed him purina puppy chow omg thats why.... ok so now my question is since he has been eating that stright for 7 days should i mix in a little of the purina puppy chow or since it has been 7 days should i just keep giving him the same or should i take him to the vet please help i feel sorry for the little guy.. ps we did go to the vet to get deworming pills.. could some of the poo be cuased by that?? so confused i told the vet that i was feeding the puppy the same food the breeder was well that was what i thought!!
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:19 PM
banned user

What I would suggest is to mix the food you're gonna be feeding with the Purina puppy chow. Start slowly and gradually change the mix over about 2 weeks...Also, a little bit of pumpkin with the food should help with the stool.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Just a note iy has to be pure pumpkin not pie filling!

Gradual food change is always the best!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM
Doggie Wench

How's your puppy now, christine? De-worming meds often do cause loose stools as does the stress of a change in environment.

When you have time, and if you're interested in learning about choosing the right foods for your pup, I suggest you look over this site: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
What I would suggest is to mix the food you're gonna be feeding with the Purina puppy chow. Start slowly and gradually change the mix over about 2 weeks...
We had to switch our dogs food last year and found this ratio. I've kept it for future references in case I needed it again and situations such as this!

Day 1- 3 75% old 25% new
Day 4- 6 50% old 50% new
Day 7-10 25% old 75% new
Day 11 100% new

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Most likely he has diarrhea due to the quick food change. It doesn't mean the food is bad, just that he was switched too quickly, though you should check with your vet to see if other factors aren't causing loose stool.

What kind of oven baked holistic food is he on? Most holistic foods (though, not all - some are just marketed as holistic but aren't great as far as ingredients) are better than Purina, since Purina isn't the greatest dog food.

I wouldn't immediately switch back to Purina, but you may want to add a little and then gradually eliminate it, to see if the stool will harden. ANY quick food change will cause loose stools, so you always want to gradually switch a puppy or dog to a new food.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to add that if a dog is eating too much food they can often get the runs. With the higher quality food you need to feed less, so if you're still feeding the same amount as the cheaper Purina (I hate to even type it ) that could also be part of the problem. It's a hit and miss thing to get the quantity right, but remember what it says on the bag is a guideline and won't be right for all dogs. I feed my girls significantly less than what our bag says and they do great with it. If I feed a bit more the lab gets the runs.