Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old July 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

major problems with Animal Care Centre, (may disturb some)

I have found out some pretty disturbing information about our local Animal Care Centre. The current contract is currently under review and unfortunately,
it looks like they will maintain their hold on this city-funded job for another 5 years due to the way said contract has been prepared by some pretty smooth lawyers. The only thing that looks as if it might change is some financial stuff, and nothing about the actual welfare of the animals.

In fact, nowhere throughout the entire contract, is the welfare of animals mentioned at all! Just money money money......

I have learned the following, in no certain order:

1) there is no onsite veterinarian;
2) there are no volunteers allowed to work with the animals;
3) there are no dog runs; dogs left to wallow in their own excrement, until staff clean it up;
4) no foster/rescue group working in conjunction with ACC;
5) rumour has it that healthy pets are sold to hospital for research for $$ (this being looked into by member of review committee)
6) healthy animals put to sleep after few days of incarceration;
7) if animal arrives injured/sick after hours, animal taken out of town to emerg. clinic at the cost of taxpayers;
8) using heart puncture method of euthanasia, (this may have changed due to pressure from public;
9) city and ACC split the cost of liscencing fees and none of the $$ made goes toward animal welfare.

That,my friends, is likely just the tip of the iceburg. I have submitted my personal experience to the committee and they are urging anyone with similar disheartening experiences to do the same, as the big public meeting is on Tues. Aug. 9th(?). We are once again going to fill City Hall with pissed off public and see if we can somehow at least get the finances flowing to where they belong: the animals

Has anyone ever looked into the goings on of the ACC in there area? Just wondering if ours is the most pathetic non caring supposedly animal friendly place on earth, or if there are others......

Last edited by lezzpezz; July 15th, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add something
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this. :sad:

I was working on a job in London about 2 years ago. When I found out what the new structure was actually going to be for I nearly threw up.
It's an "Animal Care Facility" aka, test lab. I think the whole city (government) has the same outlook on our furry friends.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:46 PM

A Test Lab!!

Are you serious?? A TEST LAB What the hey do I do now??
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Question Want info on pound seizure...

Is the ACC at 624 Clarke Road
London, ON
which is called the London Humane Society. I've been trying to find out the names of pounds that go by the Provincial law that states after 72 hr. animals can/must be sold to pounds. That law can be overruled only by the City or Municipal law. The reason for this is it's difficult to find out which pounds donate or sell to labs and which don't.

I was told that approximately 10 in Ontario do sell, but one's whose link are at OSPCA are safe. London HS is listed at OSPCA (as an affiliate). Maybe you have to assume the 72 hour rule can be applied anywhere?

Old July 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM
banned user

Can someone explain what the ACC is? I have heard it referenced a few times Animal Care Centres .. but do not know what these are.
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek & Jeter
Is the ACC at
624 Clarke Road
London, ON
and called the London Humane Society.
I'm answering my own question. NO - Absolutely Not!
The ACC and the Humane society are seperate. I don't want to start a rumor I did a quick search and they have a website which looks like a Shelter or Rescue site at first glance.
But they call themselves a Pound and upon reading the OP and sammie's it seems to be a Research Lab/Pound Their website is kind of deceptive. Here's the link:

Animal Care Centre of London
http://www.accpets.ca/index.htm

This is just one example of why Bill S-24 must be blocked by the moving of Bill C-50 immediately. Animals in industry are still considered property like a TV or a car. It is different from puppy-mills where the OSPCA can step in.

Quote:
The CFHS is urging all Canadians to write to Justice Minister Irwin Cotler, to express support for Bill C-50 and to urge him to move the Bill through the House and Senate as quickly as possible. We have waited long enough for this legislation.
Send your letters to Minister Cotler at:

The Honourable Irwin Cotler
Minister of Justice
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

Tel: 613-995-0121
Fax: 613-992-6762

Cotler.I@parl.gc.ca

You can also contact your local Member of Parliament to encourage him or her to support Bill C-50, and to oppose Senator Bryden’s Bill S-24. Senator Bryden’s bill is now before the Senate and must not be allowed to pass into law. Bill C-50 is a far superior piece of legislation.

Last edited by Derek & Jeter; July 18th, 2005 at 06:53 AM. Reason: more information
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM

ACC versus Humane Society

Animal Care Centre, (ACC) is a city funded/partnered agency that is in no way affiliated with Humane Society. Humane Society does not euthanize perfectly healthy animals, and has it's own set of humane guidelines.

ACC, however, are the folks you call if you find a sick, injured or lost animal that needs to be picked up. HS does not do this. If the animal ends up in ACC hands, it has a very poor likelyhood of ever being reunited with it's owner, or making it out alive at all. Usually after about 3 days, they are pts! Humane society will take in animals that the owners surrender and try to find homes for it.

The lab that ACC is supposedly rumoured to sell to is part of the hospital, but it is as of yet unsubstantiated that this arrangement is happening. I'm on to it!
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Theres lots like that,and it's legal.
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM
banned user

OK, so there is ACC ... then there is Humane Society, and then OSPCA?
Soo confused

I know some pple will call the OSPCA the Humane Society, but aren't they different things as well?
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I recall reading that in Ontario, the SPCA (and others who hold contracts with govt orgs) are required to give cats to labs - a certain percetage in some cases.

The only way to change that is through legislation. The easiest to accoplish may be a municipal bylaw against it. Get your neighbour togther and complain and lobby city hall!!!
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Do your research and write a letter to the editor of ALL your local papers.
I personally would be interested in the % of cats "donated" to labs. I hadn't heard that before.
After you write your papers, write your MPP and your MP.
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

It is not a federal law so even if an MP wanted to help, there is not much they can do unless they hold a significant cabinet post and a municipality is looking for money. If it is a provincial law - and it may well be that the prov law needs to be changed to outlaw this horrible practice - then write to your MPP but clearly state what law it is you want changed. Lobby the most likely MPP's to intorudce changes in the legislature.

Abnd keep in mind only Ontario voters will be paid attention to. Politicians do not have time - nor take kindly to - outside influences.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Ontario Animals for Research Act

Municipal pounds are required by law to sell dogs & cats to licensed research facilities IF approached. I believe the going price is $6 for a dog and $2 for a cat. OSPCA's & Affiliates refuse to do this, regardless of the legislation. My ex-supervisor who worked at the shelter for years used to tell me that the researchers knew better then to approach a HS, knowing the HS would fight it and cause a lot of bad publicity for the researchers.

Animal Alliance of Canada has a program called "Project Jesse" where they rescue dogs from the pounds that are destined for research. If a dog is adoptable and not destined to be euthanized, a pound can refuse to send it - the way that no-kill pounds get around the legislation (don't quote me on that, it's just something I was told from a no-kill operator).

The really sad thing is, these pounds only have to hold the animals for 3 days before they are sold. I once worked with a man who had worked previously at the local pound. He said he would rather send the dogs for research then to shoot them because at least they got to live and serve a purpose. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against necessary medical research (whether it's necessary or not to perform it on an animal is a totally different topic), but I definetely do not agree with using people's pets for it.

Jenny
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

You can read more here,but to be fair Animal Alliance is one of MANY rescues that take dogs destined for pound seizure,not the only one,I know many others do as well,and they are a major lobbier for change.

http://www.animalalliance.ca/project...ectjessie.html
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Someone mentioned doing some research and a lot of us don't know who's who or who's doing what, so I thought I'd put some links up. Don't forget the one called "Secrecy and Lack of Accountability". Seems they're all pretty good at secrecy.

Quote:
Regulations Ontario

...Unlike most other provinces, however, the jurisdiction of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals specifically excludes the monitoring and inspection of research facilities.

Regulation Canada

Unlike many other countries, Canada has no federal legislation to protect animals in laboratories from pain, suffering, or being used when alternative, non-animal methods are available. Although Canada’s Criminal Code states that “everyone commits an offense who willfully causes, or being the owner willfully permits to be caused, unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or bird,” this legislation has never been used to protect animals in laboratories, no matter how badly they are made to suffer.

In lieu of federal legislation, Canada’s system of oversight is consists of a patchwork of voluntary national guidelines, provincial legislation, and certification programs.

Voluntary National Guidelines
Canada’s system of oversight for animal experimentation is based on compliance with voluntary guidelines established by the Canadian Council on Animal Care. More>>http://www.cruelscience.ca/regulation-nat.htm

NO SAFE PLACE - CBC news
http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archive...mals/main.html
Secrecy and Lack of Accountability
Virtually everything to do with animal experimentation in Canada is shrouded in secrecy. It is nearly impossible for a member of the public to obtain specific information regarding animal experiments. More>>http://www.cruelscience.ca/regulation-secrecy.htm]
The above quote all copied from http://www.cruelscience.ca/index.htm

If you want to contact the Minister of Agriculture (the department responsible for Animals for Research )this is the Minister in charge. Phone & Fax & e-mail address at Ontario Gov website - click on Members or Dep.

Hon. Leona Dombrowsky
Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
77 Grenville St, 11th Flr
Toronto ON M5S 1B3

Constituency Office
15 Dairy Ave
Napanee ON K7R 1M4

Most stray animals once were someone's pet and since birth they learned that people feed them and are kind to them. It's bad for BFR animals but for pound seizures it's a double whammy.

Last edited by Derek & Jeter; July 18th, 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

This is NOT the same facility that I had mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek & Jeter
I'm answering my own question. NO - Absolutely Not!
The ACC and the Humane society are seperate. I don't want to start a rumor I did a quick search and they have a website which looks like a Shelter or Rescue site at first glance.
But they call themselves a Pound and upon reading the OP and sammie's it seems to be a Research Lab/Pound Their website is kind of deceptive. Here's the link:

Animal Care Centre of London
http://www.accpets.ca/index.htm
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Angry Bad mood this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
I am so sorry to hear this. :sad:

I was working on a job in London about 2 years ago. When I found out what the new structure was actually going to be for I nearly threw up.
It's an "Animal Care Facility" aka, test lab. I think the whole city (government) has the same outlook on our furry friends.
This was your reply to leezerpeezer, who asked questions about the Animal Care Centre in London, Ontario. In my post I mentioned both the London Humane Soc. and Animal Care Centre. I said they were seperate. If you want me to clarify: the London Humane Society and The Animal Care Centre are two completely seperate institutions - different locations , differrent purposes, and NOT affiliated in any way.

I said the ACC seems like a pound/lab combined. The truth is I haven't got a clue what the Animal Care Centre of London is.

But about animals especially pets in research labs, I'm completely disgusted with the secrecy and lack of animal welfare laws that bite, in this country. I for one would rather have my pet euthanized, than leave him outside unattended. If he was ill and I was poor I'd find one place which reputedly does not deal with any labs and investigate them for days - on the internet, message boards, by phone and in person. Then I'd ask at least 5 rescues if they knew about the one I chose (robbing a bank sounds a bit easier ).

I'm not saying all labs or lab workers are bad, but no one would ever get the chance to put my pet in a wire cage etc.after I trained him to be docile and taught him that humans are warm, cuddly nuturing creatures. In this and other countries - Money Talks and Cruelty Walks - on the backs of poor people, poor countries and defenceless animals

And while I'm on this rant, I can't believe how people have such short memories when it comes to PETA. They've done more since their beginnings than any group in history to further the ethical treatment of animals. They use sensationalism to bring attention to a problem, but it worked. I for one won't throw the dishes out with the dishwater.

Sorry for hijacking your thread leezerpeezer and sorry sammic if I was inaccurate. :sad:
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

No problem, and no need to apologize!!
I was just wanting to clarify that I checked the website that you posted and the facility that I was talking about is different then the ones that you had mentioned!!! That can only mean that there appears to be more then one of those horrible places in that city.. :sad:
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM

What!

Sammiec,

Thank You for clarifying that. I misunderstood you and thought a little war was starting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
No problem, and no need to apologize!!
I was just wanting to clarify that I checked the website that you posted and the facility that I was talking about is different then the ones that you had mentioned!!! That can only mean that there appears to be more then one of those horrible places in that city.. :sad:

Last edited by Derek & Jeter; July 20th, 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Heartbreaking letter just released to the press Re: ACC

How much to kill the doggie in the window?
Author: News Hound
Dated: Friday, August 05 2005 @ 09:56 AM EDT
Viewed: 64 times

The next meeting of the Companion Animal Welfare Task Force is August 9 at 4 pm in City Hall.

About two years ago the London Free Press ran a series of articles leading to a petition to stop the inhumane treatment, euthanasia, and uncaring attitude at the London city pound. As a result, the City of London agreed to strike a task force and examine the issue.

As is par for the course, the majority on city council spent a year dragging their heels and then finally gave a task force six months to study the issue beginning this past April.

The report now being released by one of the task force subcommittees, is devastating. As bad as you might have thought it was, its worse. No wonder the City didn't want anyone to see their contract with London Animal Control.

Over 1 million dollars a year is spent on a private company, but no requirement that they do anything for animals but hold them for four days before killing -- the four days is a Provincial requirement.

On top of that, the Animal Control pockets half of the close to $900,000 in revenues raised each year for pet licenses.

If Animal Control is called out to investigate a dog bite, they are paid extra. The city also pays for the vehicles they use and the fuel consumed.

With all this money flowing one might think the pound would be a palace full of happy animals. Forget it.

If you find a stray mother cat and kittens and call Animal Control, the cats will sit in a cage for four days. Then the mother will be transferred to another cage that squeezes together. Once she can't move, she gets a puncture to the belly and then her life is over. No sedative. The squeeze cage is cheaper. Her kittens don't fare any better. After all, they are "wild" and can't be adopted.

This isn't necessary. Other cities do not let someone make a profit on their pound. Other cities own their pounds, or have them run by a nonprofit, and put all the money into helping animals. What is wrong with London?

It's not more humane to kill these animals than to let them live and face a dangerous world. And killing them doesn't solve the problem of too many dogs and cats. That's an old idea and its bunk. If it worked, why are we still doing it?

There's plenty of money around. Dog and cat licenses alone raise $880,000 every year. Why is the city pushing these licenses when the money just goes to profits for a private company?

Why doesn't some of the money go to spay and neuter these animals, and shelter them until someone adopts them? Many of the cats are friendly pets that were abandoned. Sadly, they are often abandoned right before they have kittens, just when they need a home the most.

Board of Control will just renew the contract for another 5 years unless there is enough noise that it is time to do things differently. That means in 2010, 8 million dollars will have been spent, 10,000 cats and dogs killed, and London will be in the exact same position we are in today.

The next meeting of the Companion Animal Welfare Task Force is August 9 at 4 pm in City Hall.

Old August 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM

the outcome of public meeting

Here's an outline of last night's meeting. Apparently there was also a call in radio show yesterday re: ACC and the public was calling to report horrible encounters and situations they have had in their dealings with ACC. No big surprise there!!

ANIMAL CARE, CONTROL OVERHAUL URGED
A TASK FORCE SAYS THE CITY SHOULD RETENDER OR RENEGOTIATE ITS ANIMAL CONTROL CONTRACT.
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A task force is urging London to overhaul its animal care and control to stop the suffering and killing of stray animals.
In an interim report headed to city council's transportation and environment committee and board of control, the companion animal welfare task force wants the city to retender or renegotiate its animal control contract.

"The task force is making some substantial recommendations on ways to improve the care of animals in our city to make us a more compassionate city," said chairperson Coun. Susan Eagle after a meeting last night.

The 15-member task force of animal experts and animal rights activists was formed after a public meeting more than a year ago raised concern about the number of stray dogs and cats being euthanized in the city and the care they received.

The city currently spends about $1.5 million a year, including just less than $900,000 from licence fees, for a private company, London Animal Care and Control, to take care of stray pets. The company has held the contract for 22 years.

The task force said London is the only city that relies exclusively on a private company for animal control. Most cities use a mix of private contractors and city staff to do the work.

With the current five-year contract up for renewal this fall, the task force decided to make a series of interim recommendations for council to consider in a new contract.

About 10,000 dogs and cats have been euthanized over the last five years, a number Dianne Fortney, a member of Citizens for Companion Animals, says is "unacceptable."

"It's simply unacceptable to continue with the status quo," Fortney said last night.

"I firmly believe Londoners don't want to see another five years go by where another $6 million to $8 million is spent and another 10,000 dogs and cats are killed."

Key task force recommendations include:

- New standards for animal care and euthanasia for animals received at a city-funded pound, including better health care, caging, separation of dogs and cats based on gender, age, health and behaviour.

- Use of volunteers for tasks such as exercise and grooming, public education, adoption or reuniting animals with owners.

- More stringent record keeping, transparency and accountability not just in the handling of animals but on financial details.

- Use of licence fees for animal welfare, as opposed to animal control, and to encourage owners to spay or neuter and vaccinate their pets.

- Spaying and vaccination of feral, or wild, cats instead of euthanization.

The task force argues the recommendations not only improve the care of stray animals but will eventually reduce the cost with fewer animals on the loose due to public education and spaying and neutering programs.

Support for the recommendations was not unanimous.

Among those who voted against the interim report was Laurence Hartshorn of London Animal Care and Control.

Hartshorn said he supports some recommendations and said his company would consider renegotiating some aspects of the contract.

"I think there's always room for negotiation and we also think there are some deficiencies (in the city's policies)," Hartshorn said.

He said he'd like to see more emphasis on public education.

"If every pet owner was responsible, we wouldn't need animal control and we wouldn't exist," Hartshorn said.

"We find it detestable and irresponsible so many pet owners rely on the city to do their bidding (euthanasia)."
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM

I read this in the paper yesterday. I am in London.
I have heard that they use the GAS chamber still for their method of euthanizing. I've really been thinking of a way to get this changed.
Anyone have any ideas?

ETA: Okay I was completely out of the dark that there was an actual public meeting on the 9th. I would have been there That sucks.
I don't like the way this is all done, completely makes me sick to know what goes on there. Considering this is a fairly wealthy city why can't the animals be treated ethically??

If anyone has any ideas or knows of other meetings please, please let me know.

Last edited by Georgiapeaches; August 11th, 2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM

future meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeaches
I read this in the paper yesterday. I am in London.
I have heard that they use the GAS chamber still for their method of euthanizing. I've really been thinking of a way to get this changed.
Anyone have any ideas?

ETA: Okay I was completely out of the dark that there was an actual public meeting on the 9th. I would have been there That sucks.
I don't like the way this is all done, completely makes me sick to know what goes on there. Considering this is a fairly wealthy city why can't the animals be treated ethically??

If anyone has any ideas or knows of other meetings please, please let me know.
Here's the rub GeorgiaPeaches: I'm in London too. The city doesn't want anyone to KNOW that there are meetings at all and chastized the few folks on the subcommittees that may have leaked it to the press! They want this to all just go away and to renew ACC's contract for another 5 years (at least) and keep things the way they are 'cause it makes both parties money! That's it! Nowhere in the contract is the word "animal" even used! Can you believe that!!

The chosen method of euthanasia is the squeeze box and abdominal puncture for difficult cats, without sedation. Imagine how terrified the cats must be! kittens suffer the same unfortunate fate, even if they are healthy. No pets make it past the 4 day mark.

I can keep you posted as to how things are progressing, as the Pres of my group is on one of the sub-committees. This person is very disheartened about how things are progressing and has the feeling that nothing will change. This person is also of the opinion that the ACC is only focusing on the BSL issue which comes into effect Aug. 29 and the city of London had better watch out, 'cause they are going to begin terrorizing everyone that owns a dog, pb or otherwise. This is to be their main focus. If it's happening here in London, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's happening in your Ontario municipality as well! Apparently, City Hall staff is shortly going to recieve some sort of briefing and training re: BSL in order to deal with the incoming law.

What about informing the public?? You should have seen the faces at my dog meeting last night when BSL was discussed.....I am amazed at how much ignorance and misinformation is circulating, even amongst dog owners! It was stated that ACC can and will seize dogs that they deem threatening, and many folks said they will retaliate with force, even mentioning maiming and injuring officers if need be!! Not going to be pretty. There are going to be some serious incidents that come out of this insanity, and people are going to get hurt or imprisoned. What a nightmare

GoldenP, if you want to, by all means pm me and we can talk about things in London. Glad to be of assistance!
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM

Exclamation IP Injections Illegal?

IP or belly injections are not normally used for cats or dogs and I would consider them illegal because this is IMHO willful cruelty to animals, since there are alternatives which are humane, namely intravenous (IV) injections.

Quote:
With all this money flowing one might think the pound would be a palace full of happy animals. Forget it.

If you find a stray mother cat and kittens and call Animal Control, the cats will sit in a cage for four days. Then the mother will be transferred to another cage that squeezes together. Once she can't move, she gets a puncture to the belly and then her life is over. No sedative. The squeeze cage is cheaper. Her kittens don't fare any better.
Last month I signed a petition written by citizens of the Moiliili, Hawaii animal shelter. The main reason for the petition is that their euthanasia method is intraperitoneal (IP) injection, as oppossed to intravenous (IV) injection using the same method as the London animal care facility. The following is an excerpt from that petition (the full text can be read at the link).
Quote:
Next day, if they haven't already died, they are stabbed and speared in the heart or abdomen with a long needle while they are still in the cage. Often HHS workers stab them multiple times in their attempts to give them a lethal amount of barbiturates. And if they don't give them enough barbiturates....sometimes the cats are not dead when disposed off
Stop Abuse at the Moiliili Branch of the Humane Society http://www.petitiononline.com/hhs1/petition.html
In the Guidlines of the Canadian Council on Animal Care for cats and dogs
the recommended euthanasia method is by intravenous (IV) injection preferably after sedation.
Quote:
CATS
Euthanasia
Intravenous barbiturate overdose is probably the method of choice for feline euthanasia; however, overdose of any acceptable anesthetic agent is satisfactory.
The intravenous administration of T-61 is also very satisfactory for feline euthanasia, provided it is injected slowly; rapid injection can cause momentary anxiety and stimulation in this species.
The T-61 method is unacceptable in some countries (not Canada) because it is fairly easy to make mistakes with, I guess? One reason is that it causes paralysis as well as unconsciousness. So, the two could be mistaken, and a heart attack or asphyxia could take place before unconsciousness, if the amount and timing are not exact (I think that's why some countries won't allow it) But it's probably cheaper.[/I] I figured this would be helpful if you have access to information and are allowed to make suggestions.

I suspect that there are ways to sedate or restrain a feral animal in order to give it an IV injection. One way would be to administer a small amount of an immobilizing agent such as ketamine hydrochloride i.m.intramuscularly e.g. in the shoulder. Then an overdose of barbiturate is administered intravenouslyas vets do.

Quote:
MONKEYS
Euthanasia
The most appropriate method of euthanasia in non-human primates is to first administer an immobilizing agent such as ketamine hydrochloride (10-25 mg/kg i.m.). Once immobilization is achieved, an overdose of barbiturate is administered intravenously or ...

MICE
Euthanasia
...Intracardiac (i.c.) administration may be undertaken by an experienced person, but is definitely not recommended unless demanded by the experimental protocol...If not performed with absolute precision and rapidity, heart puncture will unquestionably be painful...
The Monkey and Mice quotes are here just so you know what the difference is between I.P., I.M., I.C. and I.V.

More information - the hand and presence of an animal worker, who because of their experience is not afraid of a bite or scratch, relaxes and comforts an animal. Animals can detect fear or lack of.

From CCAC Guidlines:
Abdominal injection or I.P. and I.C. are not listed as an option in the Guidelines at CCAC for euthanizing cats; GAS such as cyanide is condemned by CCAC for any animal; C2O or oxygen displacement is acceptable only when there are hundreds of animals to be killed in a small amount of time, usually mice, birds etc. and only as a last resort.
http://www.ccac.ca/en/CCAC_Programs/...SH/TOC_V2.HTM/

Here's a link to some Canadian media contacts:http://www.anticruelty.ca/who.html

This post is FYI and where to get more.

Last edited by Derek & Jeter; August 16th, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM

London City Hall Meeting Date?

Just received today's copy of "The Londoner" in my mailbox this morning and immediately saw the disturbing photo on the front page. In reading the attached article, there is mention of an upcoming meeting at the London, Ontario City Hall, regarding whether or not to renew the Animal Care and Control contract. The article does not mention when this meeting is to take place. Any insight on this topic????
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:41 AM

London meeting

Hi there. I haven't rec'd my Londoner yet. Hey, I wrote an article in there about bsl! Should be on the opinion pages today!!

Anyhow, to answer your question, the public meeting is on Monday, Sept. 12, same meeting as the pitbull bylaw stuff! If you wish to attend, go early, as it will fill up quickly. If you wish to address the city, you need to contact them in order to secure a speakers spot. See post: Alert:City eyes tighter leash on pit bulls LONDON ON!!! , post # 31 for instructions.
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Companion Animal Task Force in London

This group just met at City Hall this morning and it was fairly evident that the City did not want to hear what they had to say and pretty much rushed them through their presentation. Things did not go well, according to my Pres. who sits on the task force. Nothing accomplished. Will have to wait until Sept. 12 public meeting to make some impact.....
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:17 PM

The contract expires at the end of the year

Any chance an alternative adoption centre can be set up by year's end?
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:17 AM

alternative adoption centre

It would be a huge undertaking to do this, I would think. 3 of the folks on the task force have resigned including Lorna Chamberlain of the Humane Society! I don't know who could pick up such a big job in such a short time. That would be the ideal. How about a lot of the smaller rescue organizations pooling their resources and giving it a go in conjunction with the HS? Very hard to fund and co-ordinate on such short notice, and many of the smaller groups are volunteer, low on cash and foster space as it is. Not sure who could pull it off other than the HS, if they could use the current ACC facility in addition to their own in the east end of London.