Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old July 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Can you put platies in a pond?

I have a few platies in a non-heated tank and was wondering if I could transfer them to my dad's little pond? In the pond there is one small goldfish but that's it. Can I add my 4 platies to this? Also, I have an algae eater. Are there any other fish other than goldfish that can live in a pond? It's in B.C. so the temperatures are pretty mild...
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Platies are tropical fish who need temps of at least 75 degrees F. Temperatures under that can cause disease and weakening of the the fish. IF your pond is shallow and the temps in it are constant and warm, they could live there for the summer.

White Cloud Mountain fish can live in unheated water, but they are very small and would likely be eaten by the goldfish.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

As was said, no platies are tropical fish and need much warmer temps than a pond. I keep my platies at 78-82F.
There are fish other than goldfish that could live in a pond in our mild weather though.
Weather Loaches
White Cloud Mountain Minnows
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

My platies aren't in a heated tank right now. The pet store guy said it's not necessary with them as they are quite hardy. Mind you I think my 10 gallon tank keeps much warmer than the pond would, as small as it is.. I will look into your other suggestions though. My dad is away on vacation and someone was supposed to come over and feed his fish but when I went to check up on his place all but one were dead and there was only a tiny puddle of water at the bottom (how the one survived I'll never know). And of course the lawn was a jungle and nothing else was taken care of So I thought it would be nice to at least replace his fish for him before he got back. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
White Cloud Mountain fish can live in unheated water, but they are very small and would likely be eaten by the goldfish.
Aren't goldfish vegetarians? Would they really eat other fish?
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Most fish will eat anything that will fit into their mouths. If a tiny fish like a Mountain Minnow got in the way I fear it would disappear.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what most pet store employees tell you. Tropical fish need heat, and lack of it will shorten their lives, leave them open to ich and other diseases, and most won't display good colour.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi,
Platies are very hardy, but will not grow well, eat well, or live very long in an unheated tank. A heater is only about 10 dollars at walmart, your fish would greatly appreciate you!

Goldfish are omnivores, not vegetarians. I have seen a large goldfish eat 12 neons in a single setting.
Not a fish I would mix with anything smaller than a large platy.