Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:49 PM
banned user

Red eye in cats and dogs - "Mirror-Eye" in pet pics-correcting/preventing it?

I've got SO many fantastic pictures of Raj that have been RUINED by that "mirror-eye" reflection.

Does anyone know of a software program that corrects this?

Besides doctoring them up in MSN Paint, any tips for correcting it? Or preventing it?

I've tried painting them back in with the MSN Paint program, but then they just look like flat cartoon-eyes. I've tried copying eyes off of other photos and pasting them over the mirror-eyes....but that is never a good match, no matter how well I stretch/skew the copied images.
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:08 PM

She's soooo sweet! I think that pose deserves another treat!

I don't know if this can be corrected, unless you take your pics to a pro (most programs do "red-eye" correction).

As for preventing it - I believe the effect is caused by the flash. If possible (don't know if you have that kind of flash), try not to point the flash directly at her. Or, try not to use the flash at all. I prefer to use natural light. Either go outdoors (I know - sometimes the "moment" doesn't allow for it), or open all the blinds and slow your shutter speed down.

Wow! Did I actually remember stuff from intro to photography class??
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

With Corky's dark face, all we get are those glowing eyes!
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I touch them up if they're white glowing in paint but then I use a lighter colour like a white to just dot a couple spots to show a glow. It works sometimes

Then the red eye, well most digital cam and scanners will have a program to get rid of red eye

Problem with Sadie it doesn't go red her eyes glow orange and that doesn't work on them
Attached Images

Old August 21st, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hi 5. Cute.
Old August 21st, 2004, 10:06 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Red eye in Dogs and cats

Hi Cactus,

Yup the problem is the flash and how it illuminates the back of the dog's eye causing it to glow. Easiest solution is don't use flash. If you have a high end flash, you could try bouncing it off the ceiling or aiming it behind you so that it bounces off a white wall and illuminates the subject less directly. Even this technique may not eliminate the phenomenon, but it will reduce its effect.

Here is a pet article on the problem.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-petphotog.htm

Marko

Admin
Old August 21st, 2004, 10:49 AM
banned user

Thank you, Marko. Interesting article!

My flash is built into the digital camera, unfortunately, so I can't point it at anything but the subject. Yes, Luba I have the same problem- my program removes red-eye but not glowing white eye GlassLass- my son was completely freaked out by your picture (NO offense)- he walked through the room as I was looking at it and said "AAAH! Is that a demon-poodle or what??" lol. He's used to seeing the whitish glow in Raj's pictures and didn't realize they could glow another color. Now if we could just get all of ours to glow BROWN......
Yes, seems as though I'll have to stick to outside shots or no flash at all. I've tried no flash but the pictures are usually so dark. Marko's article has good advice on how to position by a window, etc. that I'm going to try.
For whatever it's worth, I've found that standing farther away from her and zooming in for the picture seems to produce less mirror-eye. Maybe the closer you get with the flash, the higher the likelihood for bad results. But you know how it is- you don't always have time to do anything but grab the camera quickly and *click* when there is a great shot to be had.
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I touch them up if they're white glowing in paint but then I use a lighter colour like a white to just dot a couple spots to show a glow. It works sometimes

Then the red eye, well most digital cam and scanners will have a program to get rid of red eye

Problem with Sadie it doesn't go red her eyes glow orange and that doesn't work on them

That is the greatest photo
Sadie should be on Tv for something, that is just too cute it must be seen my millons!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
~Cat Servent~

Lightbulb

Ok those glowing eyes are freakin me out!!!!! But I may have a solution for you all, because even with my new camera that has the red eye feature I still got that glowing look. What we do is get the cats to look up and slightly away from the camera by shaking our hand/ snapping fingers/ or waving a toy. It seems to work great. I think it may even work better with the dogs cause you can get them to at least "stay"!!!!! It turns out more like the pic below...it's kind of like the "look at my ear" thing pro photographers say to people.
And keep these cutie pics comin!!!
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
banned user

Good advice and great picture!

Thank you!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Chocolate

well... here's my contribution...

i simply leave 'em
Attached Images