Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Unhappy Willis has a little bit of diarrhea

So Im having the same problem with Willis as I did with Roland. His tummy is not so good. He only goes about 3 times a day but its loose. not watery but he has been eating Rolands food :sad: and now his tummy is not good. I think I remember last time I gave Roland Chicken and Rice and that seemed to firm it up pretty fast, then moved him back to his old food.
What should I do? He is eating as much as ever and drinking water, still playful, just stinky and loose poop. :sad:
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

1/4 tsp of slippery elm bark powder mixed into some watered down plain meat baby food is my favourite standby for mushy poo. Other people have success with canned pumpkin or squash.

What is he eating? What was he eating before? Perhaps he'd also benefit from some probiotics (in capsule form from the health food store - not yogurt) to help balance the bacteria in his intestines.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM

He has Orijen and I have Evo for Roland. Orijen at 45% protein and Evo at 50% so not such a big difference. I had no luck with the pumpkin with Roland and Ive heard differing opinions on whether its a stool softener or a hardner.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It firms up the stool when used in small quantities, softens it when used in larger quantities. The magic of fiber.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM

would butternut squash do the same thing?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I believe that growler actually uses squash for her kitty, Duffy.

From page 4 of this thread:

Quote:
approx 1/4 tsp pureed Butternut Squash from either Heinz Organics babyfood or Earth Organics babyfood. Butternut squash works just as well as sweet potato & pumpkin but apparently tastes better I don't think I'll be doing a taste test . Well Duffy actually likes the butternut squash - she happily licked it off my finger & wait for more The butternut squash will regulate the moisture in the bowels, if there is not enough it will replace it but if there is too much it will firm it up a bit. Magic vegetable
But that was for constipation...might not need quite that much to firm Willis up.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM

He just had 3 small little pieces, we will see if that helps. I hope so. else I will try the chicken and rice thing. Im sure he will love that. or even just rice?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm way out of my league...we're overrun by dogs...but bland chicken and rice works for dogs, if that helps. If I hadn't read growler's thread on Duffy I would never have thought to use butternut squash for a kitty.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM

Lol Hazel. I have made some chicken and Rice and they have both eaten some of it. So hopefully it will do the trick. I guess I will know by morning. They are both back to bed now which means Jane is up all night again. ahh babies. gotta love them. At least I planned well and I dont have work tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So are they still going to sleep in separate rooms, or will you let them out all night together? Maybe they'd let you sleep if they had each other to cuddle with?

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM

they have been out all day and been fine so I think Im going to risk leaving them out. I always have one ear open anyway and there has not been even the hint of a hiss. Roland is not quiet ready for cuddling yet but Willis is all about the cuddles, with us! He likes to sleep right across my face!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
So are they still going to sleep in separate rooms, or will you let them out all night together? Maybe they'd let you sleep if they had each other to cuddle with?
But they slept earlier so they are going to be going gung ho tonight.

Hope the dreaded "D" clears up quickly.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM

hehe. yes. Im sure. Hes very chatty, or complainy, I havent decided which yet, but if he is lying anywhere near my face he is happy. Roland just walks around alternating between looking annoyed or inquisitive.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
1/4 tsp of slippery elm bark powder
Its amusing (ironic) that something with slippery in its name acts to prevent the slipperies.
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:02 PM

so this morning Willis almost had a normal bm, then he had some wet food and its back to square one. I went to the pet food store and they had some slippery elm but the directions start at 10lb weight. Im fairly sure that Willis isnt even 4 yet! So I am back to the chicken and rice (sorry for Roland he has to deal with that!) and I am going to try a lower protein food (the Now! one is much less than the Orijen but still grain free) and see if that helps the poor little tummy. I worry so about it! I remember feeling the exact same way with Roland and it sucks. so the chicken and rice works cause then I will start mixing in a bit of the dry and go from there.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM

So I think he has to have some siamese in him. He complains a lot!!! with the shape of his face, his long body and his slanty eyes he has to have. and of course all the talking. I am a little conserned about the 5 or 6 times a day he poops, but with the amount he eats I guess its not surprising. I will phone the lady at the shelter and ask if she thinks I should take him to get checked out. His stool seems a little better today but still STINKS!!! and is a little loose.
He is a lot different than my other hellion was at that age. So I dont know if his relaxed nature is normal and personality or if hes not feeling great. He is playing a little and does the crazy kitten thing once or twice a day and he eats a silly amount of food (fine for now cause hes so very skinny!) but he does sleep a lot more than Roland did at his age. hmm. am I a paranoid parent? cant imagine how Im going to be with my kids one day
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What was he eating at the shelter? It is quite probable he has loose poo because of the diet change. Just keep an eye on him, give him part of a capsule of slippery elm. Did it come in capsule form? A tiny amount should work for him. Make sure he is staying hydrated. In a few days his belly should be starting to get used to the new food.
Unless he came from the shelter with a bug in his belly.
Different cats, different personalities.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM

His poop was fine till he got here. :sad: The slippery elm was in a huge big tub. I am scared of overdosing so I just did the chicken thing. He was eating Orijen. Now I changed to Now! turkey and have been giving him chicken and rice as well. Its not really bad, he just poops an aweful lot! He drinks a lot of water! No problem there!! So I guess I should just stop being a worry wart?
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It could also be the stress of the big move for him. That could bring on diahhrea as well. He will probably start coming around. If he is still stealing some on Rolands' food then he may get it occasionally but his belly should adjust. Give it time.
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks 14+. That is what I am doing. Just letting him be. It is a little better this morning. He eats so much though! Poor Roland has to be quick or the whole bowl of dry food is gone! lol. I do freefeed though and I hope that Willis learns that there is always food here. I guess he was found under a set of stairs all by himself hiding from the cold and very thirst. I suppose he will hoard for a while just out of instinct. Its all good, he needs some meat on his little bones.
Now Im going to school and I hope they will be fine on their own here. I dont think I will put Willis in the room as there has been no bad vibes at all. Roughhousing yes, Roland is a little rough cause hes so freaking big, I seperate them thinking that Willis is getting hurt but He just turns right back around and comes back to play some more. silly Kitties.
thank you so much for your patient advice 14+.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
150% PRO S/N

So the slippery elm; if it comes in a tub then I would think a pinch would be enough for him. That is something you can add to his food every day. I am thinking you are feeding dry (which isn't the best for them) but will leave that lecture for some other day. If you can give them both canned with the slippery elm mixed in with some canned every day it should keep them on even keel.
I am glad Willis' belly is calming down.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandsMom View Post
The slippery elm was in a huge big tub. I am scared of overdosing so I just did the chicken thing.
Are there any other ingredients in the tub besides the slippery elm? If just SEB, it's very safe and you can give him 1/8th a tsp twice a day to start. Was Willis on Orijen at the rescue? (it was MEOW Foundation, right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I am thinking you are feeding dry (which isn't the best for them) but will leave that lecture for some other day.
Hehe, I've been chomping at the bit on that, but you're right, one change at a time. Willis has a lot going on right now without adding more to the mix, so for now I'll zip it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM

you girls!! Of course he is getting BOTH!!! I have been giving him the Wellness that they sent with him and today I bought some Before Grain 100% beef wet which I mixed with some digestive enzymes. I also bought some Evo Beef which is what Roland normally gets.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM

And yes 14+ he was on Orijen dry and Wellness wet but Roland wont touch the Orijen and the little guy was eating all of Rolands food.
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
you girls!!
I know, aren't we incorrigible? Or maybe just annoying.....

But seriously, you might eventually want to consider eliminating the dry. There really isn't any good reason to feed it.

In the meantime, here's hoping the Willis's poopiness is resolved soon.

Old March 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
And yes 14+ he was on Orijen dry and Wellness wet but Roland wont touch the Orijen and the little guy was eating all of Rolands food.
I think what you said earlier is right on. Once he realizes that food isn't going to disappear, that he will always have it, he will even out and be ok.
And thanks for setting me straight on the canned. I must have missed that part. But you still love us, right?
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM

lol. Right. I feed them canned twice a day (and sometimes at 3:30am when Roland demands it by scratching on the walls and doors till I do so) and they free feed dry. Roland doesnt eat much dry and hopefully baby will stop eating so much too. Its good quality dry and I realise that its not idea but I really cant afford to feed only wet!
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
150% PRO S/N

That's great! If you could gradually cut down on the amount of dry until they are exculsively eating canned it would be Willis is of course eating more than Roland at this point. Both because he has this fear that the food will disappear and because of his age. That will all even out soon too. Somewhere around a year old kitties tend to start eating/needing less food.
I completely understand you being a student and not being able to feed just canned. It's great you are giving them some!
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Oh no! I think its the canned thats causing some of the trouble. His poop was coming right slowly and then I gave them some canned this morning (4am!!) and woke up to Willis stinky old poop again. I know they suggest a day fast but if he was starving out where they found him and he has some food issues already (being a little nervous that there isnt going to be any..) wouldnt fasting him make it worse?
If it doesnt get better by the weekend I will take him to the vet, or talk to the vet at least about what I can do. Its by no means life threatening, just not too pleasant for him or us!! Poor little guy!
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
150% PRO S/N

Please do NOT fast him!! That is not safe for cats. They can develop life threatening diseases very quickly!! Dogs yes, cats NO!
It is completely normal for cats when they start a new food to have smelly, stinky poos. I would think it will even itself out once his belly gets used to it. As SCM mentioned earlier you could give him some probiotics.......

What is he eating? What was he eating before? Perhaps he'd also benefit from some probiotics (in capsule form from the health food store - not yogurt) to help balance the bacteria in his intestines.

If he was eating Wellness before at the shelter with no problem it will be the dry that is bothering him. JMO