Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
All the world a stage :3

Unhappy Discussion could be less hairy

I joined this forum three years ago,
A homeless woman having moved across the country, living with my shut-in grandmother and psychotic uncle in a house that wasn't mine.
I had ZERO money.
I had ZERO contacts.
I knew of no rescues or shelters.
I had NO resources.
I had limited use of my uncle's computer and my grandmother's home.

I needed help.
I needed to talk to someone.
I came here asking for help several times,
Asking for advice,
Asking for opinions.

I was given advice,
I was given opinion,
But I have never felt so utterly helpless/ignored/loathed in my life.

Threads jumped between being ignored to being flamed to being useless whenever I needed more than just simple minded discussion.

I understand you guys love all animals.
I appreciate most animals,
and tolerate others,
and love some.

I have opinions that are different than yours.
I don't know many people who can resist the urge to belittle and berate people with different opinions behind the curtain of anonymity that is the internet,
But I don't think this is the place for it.

If you want to hate on people,
do it with your friends, in a coffee shop, on somethingawful ...
not with people who are confiding in you because they're not sure where else to turn.

I don't want to come here and ask for advice because people here were rude to me.

Other people are looking for help, fast,
And information they could find here through YOU (users, moderators, guests)
could save lives,
but if they're treated like crap they will HATE you for it
and they'll STOP LOOKING.

It's not YOUR fault,
it's THEIR fault,
but so is EVERY OTHER TRAGEDY>
None of it is YOUR fault.
But someone could have had an influence, or a hand in.
Could have guilted someone into something by pleading, or suggesting,
but when you're catty and rude with people they get defensive and they SPACE THEMSELVES and cut themselves off from you,
and when this forum is such a great resource for people who DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO and the comfort or life of an animal is at stake,
why give that away?
Why chase people away?

I firmly believe that trying to save EVERY LIFE is a waste of resources.
Save the pets that are loved,
save the animals that are adoptable first,
That's fine by me
But if the only contribution requested of you is advice or an opinion and you have one chance to make it count, Why not?

I'm afraid of what you guys are going to say to me.
I'm human, what can I say.
I can only assume there will be a share of petty or snide remarks before this board is locked because no one wants to admit that maybe not everyone here is right all the time,

But as a person who was chased off this board,
I really do think you guys can make a difference among "outsiders" who are naive and need help,
and not just sit here and pat each other on the back for being so full of love for animals.

bah THAT'S THE END of my stupid little rant.
I didn't really need to say this, but it's been bugging me since the last time I declined turning to this site for help when I needed it.
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Your post is good, and you have a right to your opinion, and the right to to post them. I'm sorry if you were flamed, and I'm sorry you don't feel like you belong. But stick around, everyone is welcome, and you could very well help someone like yourself, and be the person you were looking for when you came here.

This place is all about the animals, (to me anyway) so please don't loose sight of that, and forget and about the mean and nasty, and stick around, you may make a difference in an animals life.

I guess (for myself anyway) it sometimes it's hard to answer in a kind way, when I have seen the questions a hundred times before, and many don't want an answer, they just want to feel justified for doing whatever they are doing, and expect everyone to make them feel "better".

And many posts, I don' t ignore, I just don't think I can give the "sugar-coated answer" that many are hoping for. (if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all)

By the way, WELCOME, and your opinion's do make a difference.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

So let me get this straight. After almost 2 years since your last post you decide to come back and write a long and winding rant about stuff that happened back in 2004? Forums go through ebbs and flows, most of the people who you dealt with way back then are probably not even around anymore. You've created such a blanket rant, grouping all members as horrible people who don't care about you.

Quote:
It's not YOUR fault,
it's THEIR fault,
but so is EVERY OTHER TRAGEDY
None of it is YOUR fault.
But someone could have had an influence, or a hand in.
Are you trying to blame the fact that you weren't given good advice as the reason something bad happened to your pet? If so, that's pretty harsh. This is the internet, if you need immediate, tangible help you should have gone to a live person. You can't pin all your hopes on strangers who live half a world away to help when it comes down to the nitty gritty. You can't blame a forum or its members for stuff that happens or doesn't happen.

This is the most random weird post I have ever read on here.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Thalia....I understand completely what you are saying....

I am sure you have been lurking or otherwise you wouldn't have posted your feelings (and YES, you are allowed your feelings!!!!).

I have been on this board for a bit more than 1.5 yrs and some days are harder than others,but I just ignore the harshness and welcome those that are more caring, compassionate and humane.

Please keep checking the board, there is a lot of great information here, just ignore those that appear to be a little abrupt.

Now...is Thalia your kitty???? Want to share some pictures/stories?

I have two doggies, harley and buster, the loves of my life!!!

Hope you stick around!!!!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'd like to think that we've changed for the better around here.

Forums do go through ups and downs as Stacer said. Nobody is right all the time and rudeness is becoming LESS common in my opinion and that makes members, mods, and me as one of the 2 Admins happy.

I suggest that you hang around and see for yourself that in general this is a friendly board and that most questions are answered respectfully and with good advice.

As always if you have particular concerns about anything please just PM me directly.

Thanks,

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
So let me get this straight. After almost 2 years since your last post you decide to come back and write a long and winding rant about stuff that happened back in 2004?
Pretty weird hey ?

And the OP wrote this too ; Other people are looking for help, fast,
And information they could find here through YOU (users, moderators, guests)
could save lives,

Well hun , we're not vets, and we're not here to save lives either. If your animal needs to have his life save , you need to go see a vet !
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
So let me get this straight. After almost 2 years since your last post you decide to come back and write a long and winding rant about stuff that happened back in 2004?
That is just the kind of attitude that got me off this board in the first place.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Pretty weird hey ?

Well hun , we're not vets, and we're not here to save lives either. If your animal needs to have his life save , you need to go see a vet !
Please, don't call me "hun" mom.

Some people could benefit from hearing of experiences that others have had.
Some people just need to find someone or something.
Some people just don't know.

It's not always a life or death situation,
it doesn't always require a vet
and sometimes it does and people just need to figure it out.
Some people can not afford vet care for their pets or hospital care for themselves, but could prevent illness or injury or worsening of a condition through advice found here.

Or am I totally wrong here?
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia is Crazy View Post

It's not always a life or death situation,
it doesn't always require a vet
and sometimes it does and people just need to figure it out.
Some people can not afford vet care for their pets or hospital care for themselves, but could prevent illness or injury or worsening of a condition through advice found here.

Or am I totally wrong here?
I just wanted to add that in A LOT of cases, it does require a vet. That is why people often get exasperated when they hear another person asking for help here when they should be seeing the vet asap.
If someone can't afford vet care, than imo, they shouldn't have an animal. Sorry to say it so harshly, and I don't mean any criticism to you, or anybody else, but animals are so innocent and if they need help, then we, as caretakers, should be doing everything in our power to get them the help they need.
99% of vets are in business for the love of animals, therefore most, if not all, will do what they can to help out in times when money is tight. Sometimes just a phone call to a vet will answer any questions, without costing a penny. Other times, something as simple as a $20 antibiotic will cure would could end up being a really bad situation without a vet's care.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

No - it isn't always a life or death situation. But how would we know that. We can't see the animal and the only thing we have to go by is what the OP tells us.

Were you around when the guy posted about his puppy with parvo a while ago? He didn't post all of the issues that the puppy had, stuck around and argued with us about whether or not he should take the poor thing to the vet and while he was busy HERE - his puppy DIED!!!!

Just yesterday someone posted about their pet that is peeing blood! Using some common sense would tell you that this animal should see a vet and turning to people you know nothing about on the internet isn't going to solve the problem. Yeah, it could be a urinary tract infection. But it could be something entirely different. For example - what if we were to find out that said animal was allowed to roam outside without supervision? Then you are looking at an entirely different issues that a VET would know to look for but we wouldn't have a clue about.

I am sorry if you feel that some of us are rude. And yes, at times some of us can be rather blunt and that can be taken as rude. All you see is the written word - there are no facial clues, tone cues, or corresponding body language to take into account.

And yeah - I too think it is a bit odd that someone who hasn't posted in years pops in to complain about the way we treat people.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Thalia,

If a pet needs to see a vet then it needs to see a vet and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. If a member is looking for non-critical information then it's our pleasure to help. Sometimes though, the pet owner hopes or thinks that their pet's condition is non-critical when in reality (based on our individual opinions and/or experience) it is.

At the end of the day I think the vast majority of members call it like they see it and they have the PET'S best interest at heart ....even when it conflicts with the pet owner's ability to pay a vet's bill.

As an Admin with the help of the Mods, whatever the situation, rudeness is not appropriate and we try to step in when we see threads getting out of hand.

If you have a new question about something recent please do not feel shy to post it and we will do our best to help. As always, Please PM me as needed.

This thread will now be closed.

Thanks,

Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread