Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Question 'new to us' 6 mo old puppy - questions/issues

either Viszla or Weimaraner or ? (maybe some Lab)

We have just purchased a 6 month old puppy - including her 'birth home' we are at least her 4th home. We truly want this to be her forever home! She went to her first family about 8 wks old, then sometime in Sept that family felt that she was too much of a handful as they had several small children at home, and they advertised her for sale. At that time we replied to their ad, but assume they found someone else to buy her as they did not reply to us. Several weeks ago we saw another ad for a dog that seemed very similar - short story is we connected, decided the pup is just what we want, and we picked her up the following week. The pup was advertised in both ads as being 'Chocolate Lab' and we were also told that she was purebred. The latter did seem impossible with the relative low re-homing fee we were asked for. Not long after having her this week we realized that it is unlikely that she is Chocolate Lab - though she might have a bit of Lab. We suspect she might have a lot of either Viszla or Weimaraner. We suspect that the behaviours we are having problems with might be a combination of the fact that we are her fourth family/home in 6 months AND her combined breeds.

the GOOD:
♥ she is loving, beautiful and seems like she should be a quick learner
♥ she is sleeping through the night in her kennel in our room
♥ she seems to be housetrained - and only wants to 'do anything' once a day, during daylight
♥ she seems to walk well on leash (though I do have her on a good harness to be on the safe side)
♥ she is doing well with our fat, old cat (who has had several dogs in his life and has liked all!) - they are at the licking, kissing stage! But she keeps wanting to put her paws on his back

the BAD - these we need help with:
◙ she switches to chewing - hands, things, leash, etc - fully understandable and not that hard to train out of for a young puppy, but harder at 6 months ?? help ??
◙ jumping up to the table, etc - again we think she was not trained much and either allowed to 'get away with' behaviours, or maybe just chucked outside. ?? help ??

We really had hoped for a mostly-Lab dog, but we have her now and have fallen in love with her - truly want her to become a great dog!

Suggestions/ideas please!!!
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome and lets hope you are her forever home. I have a crazy chocolate lab at home. She is a handful at times but I find it is very very common with the chocolates for some reason.

Sounds like your off to the right start as she seems to somewhat understand. I have found that mine gets LAB brain. You need to find a way to first of all catch her in the act of of counter surfing or set her up. When she jumps up I would say "hey" really loud in a firm voice or some folks say a growl. Either should work to distract her from what she is doing. Its like you almost have to startle her for her to be distracted from the counter. If she responds to that praise her "good girl" and repeat . My vet actually did this when I took Sophie in for a check up because she was jumping up on the counters looking for treats. She knows she gets treats at the vet ...they are so smart.

As for the chewing be sure nothing is wrong with her teeth. If you catch her chewing a show or something give her a No or thats bad and give her a toy she can chew on. So in other words your saying hey thats mine you chew your own stuff.

The thing is with a new dog you have to be observing them all the time. I would suggest she doesnt get the freedom to be able to chew. Until she can be trusted if that makes sense.

Both my dogs were tied to me for a while when I first got them. It was advised by a trainer. This way they dont have the freedom to go and pee where they want when no one is looking or chew something they shouldnt.
At least until they understand the rules you have.

Try to exercise her and tire her out...they always say a tired dog is a happy dog...

She sounds like a pup that needs some stability in her life and someone who is committed and can bond with her.

You should be very happy you listed some AWESOME qualities in her that are sometimes problems people post about here...

Would love to see a pic of her...

Come back and let us know how things are going. I am sure others can give you some great advice as well...

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I would love to a picture too someone may be to tell you for sure what kind of puppy you have. Could your puppy still be teething you could get some teething toys and see if this will keep your puppy from chewing on the wrong things. I would keep all your shoes off the floor , puppies love to chew on shoes and it always seen to be your favorite one.
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I would love to a picture too someone may be to tell you for sure what kind of puppy you have. Could your puppy still be teething you could get some teething toys and see if this will keep your puppy from chewing on the wrong things. I would keep all your shoes off the floor , puppies love to chew on shoes and it always seen to be your favorite one.
Good suggestions -
Right now I'm keeping her leashed to me a lot, and trying to close off rooms - We are doing renos and had downsized with still a lot of stuff that one never knows how attractive will be to a pup!
I'm going to get some Bitter Apple today before she goes to her vet appt. She has a huge amount of toys - and I bought few more chew toys yesterday.
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

If the toys have a squeaker in them be sure to check the toys that no holes in them . You don't want your puppy choking on the squeaker . I think it's very kind of you to give the puppy a chance of finally having a forever home . Maybe one she realize this she will start to feel more at home.
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

We'd love to see a pic!

And for those Good chew toys just to add to BD's post....go with Kong or another well respected brand.

Too many cheap imports use unsafe/unhealthy materials.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Tags
6 mo puppy, viszla, weimaraner