Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Training a Very Excitable Puppy!

I'm not having any problems yet, as we're just starting to get into the training, but I am just wondering if anyone has any tips for me training my new puppy. I'll explain a little about what I'm looking for suggestions about....

Keely is my second puppy and so I'm not completely new to dog training, but she's so different than Connor was!

When I got Connor, he was ten weeks. He had been mistreated and was feeling pretty miserable overall, due to worms, kennel cough, digestion problems, etc. He was quiet, withdrawn, afraid of pretty much everything... he wasn't a rescue technically, but he should have been!

Overall, he has been very calm since I got him. He still plays, don't get me wrong, but he is generally a calm dog. It was easy to get him to stand in front of me to practice sitting, laying down, etc.

Keely, on the other hand, is so different. She never stops, except when she's sleeping. She's running around, chewing on everything, so curious, not afraid of anything. Loud noises don't even startle her, for the most part. I'm not complaining! I think this is wonderful for a puppy... but here is the problem. How do I calm her down to make her sit? Hahah.

She pretty much knows her name now and comes when called, mostly. We have only practised in our apartment, but she is doing well, I think, for 7 weeks.

We're starting a training class in a couple of weeks, but I want to get a little head start. Any tips for teaching her to sit/lay down?

I have tried giving the command, showing her how to sit, giving her a treat... the same way I taught it to Connor. But when she smells the treat, she's like a chicken pecking for grain! Hahah. How do I get her to calm down and stop wiggling? Hahaha.

.... I have tried to do this training after she has played with Connor & I figure she's tired.