Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM

Speaking of a Family Pack

As you already know - we just brought home no-name puppy. We have two cats already and just my husband and I.

Where SHOULD the dog be? Is he at the "bottom" of the pack? We feed the cats separately but they haven't introduced themselves to the dog. How do we establish pecking order in the house so that both the cats and dog know that their position and know they are loved?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM

The cats should figure it out. Just make sure the dog doesn't bug them too much in the meantime.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Agility Addict

I agree with Prin.

Unfortunately, it is completely out of human control! The animals will sort things out on their regardless of how we think the hierarchy should be established.

Since your pup doesn't seem to have any interest in the cats, things should be fine and they will learn to tolerate one another. The only requirement is that your dog never learns to think of them as prey and things to be chased. It sounds like it won't be a problem - just be aware that you never unintentionally encourage him to antagonize the cats!!
Let us know when you decide on a name!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto..I always let the kids figure out where they stand. It is usually more civil that way.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
-

You and your husband are at the top of the pack and the fur kids sort it out amongst themselves.....supervised of course.
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Not making progress - or maybe?

Last night "Scout" (New puppy name - yay!) was laying in the hallway, minding his own business when Buddy came out from under the bed and ATTACKED the poor dog. He got so excited he ended up spraying everywhere too! Poor Scout - trembling under the coffee table as we tried to pry the cat back into the bedroom.

*Sigh* maybe one day they will be friends
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Cute name! I am having the same type of issues. After 10 weeks the cat will approach the dog when it is asleep, sometimes they curl up on either side of me, and sleep. The cat also insists on drinking from the dogs water bowl, with the dog watching! The dog does not mind, she just wants a playmate. I think that they figure it out on thier own, but I do not leave them together with out supervision. This is the only picture I have of them together.
Attached Images