Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM

Pug Jack russell x ?

First, I bow my head in shame (yes, I got her from a pet store. I supported **deep breath** a puppy mill) We Went into a pet store we dont normally go to to pick up cat food and there she was, in a 2x3ft cage with her brother. She stood up and under her was a heaping pile of feces. We took her and another couple took her brother. I could not leave her there (nor will I ever go there again...)

Anyway, they told us she was a jack russell pugx. The vet said "definite pug, but jack russell? maybe her personality I guess..." Jack russell parents at the doggy playground look at us as if we're nuts, boxer moms and bulldog moms ask me if Im sure she isnt part bulldog or boxer.

So, here are some pics of Willow.. with your expertise, can you maybe give me some ideas of what you think? The pet store chopped her tail off so any possible tell-tale sign with that is gone. If it helps, she was 3lb 13oz at 10 weeks, 5lb 10oz at 14 weeks, she is now 15 weeks (14 weeks, 3 days if you want to get specific) the vet figures she will be about 10lbs fully grown. She was 11 weeks in these pictures.
Attached Images

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Firstly - gorgeous pup. I will not lecture on where you got the dog as you already know where your money went.

So let me say that you can redeem yourself (if you will entertain this thought). If the dog was found in a heep of feces - let your local humane society know so that they can go and make a visit. If the dog falls ill, ensure to keep all vet records so that you may pursue them.

I hope all goes well with the health of your puppy. You know you can always ask them where they got the pup from. There is a way to continue to fight puppymills even though you bought into it. I understand it is sometimes difficult for people to fight the temptations.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM

Already did, called them immediately and took her to the vet the next day at the humane societies request. She had worms, fleas and her nails were so long they were curling but thankfully other then that she is healthy (so far.. fingers crossed!!) The store told us she came from "there one and only supplier" they had about 20 pups, all sorts of different breeds. As my vet said, in places like that.. who the heck knows who got her mom pregnant. She goes to the vet every month and will keep going monthly for the first year just to be on the safe side.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

She's absolutely adorable. I don't like the thought of buying pets in a pet store. However, I can imagine how difficult it must have been for you to just leave her there, the way she was.

No animal deserves to live like that. I'm very glad to hear you called the Humane Society. Hopefully they will be checking on that store.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Good for you Mybabies. Listen - be persistant with the store as to where the dogs from.

Also - can you buy animal food from a pet food outlet instead of the pet store?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM

Normally we go to another pet store (wont name names...) that does grooming, training etc and the only pets they sell are fish. But it was a Sunday, I was rushing home from work, my mother-in-law was completely out of food for her dog and there is was... with its big shiny OPEN sign
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Molly's mama

Glad to hear you realize the full extent of the pet store-- puppy mill vicious cycle. Please don't support it again! Sorry for being nosy, but how much did you pay for her?
That being said, she is really cute. I can definitely see Pug in her, and maybe Boxer? Too early to tell though.
Take good care of her, and support a pet supply store next time you need food or other supplies.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If she's only going to be 10 pounds fully grown, I doubt that she has boxer in her. I can see pug...and I can imagine Jack Russell

She sure is a doll! I love her socks and the white toes on her back feet. She's a lucky little girl, that's for sure!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM

I also see pug, and the reverse brindle makes me think there is some boston in her hmm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Terrier . She is one cute pup .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

considering where she came from, She could be alot younger then said to be.
Which could explain her being so small at that age if she is indeed mixed with a larger breed dog. I know a place around here, selling mixbreeds that were supposed to grow to about 15 lbs full grown, They were selling them at 12 weeks and a few lbs. But they were really 4 weeks and a few pounds.. Terrible terrible people running the place. Just imagine, how many people went home thinking they were going to get 1 15 pound dog, and ended up getting a 50 lb dog Just imagine how many went into the shelter system:sad:

Plus, I walk a dog that is mixed with a newfoundland dog and is quite quite small.. Hes A mediam sized boy at 40 lbs (If that)
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Investigative researcher

Appears to me she could very well be the cross you were told she is. Definitely more length to her muzzle than a boston, could be a small line of boxer, but again muzzle doesn't seem short enough. Hopefully she is actually the age you think she is, and a healthy, happy, great pal--sorry you have to have the stigma of petstore/puppymill, but I know how hard it is to just leave them there once you see them like that.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Oh she is darling ~ given that third look, I see pug in her also, very reminiscent of mine very young. Don't feel too bad, I got my pug/chihuahua mix Romeo from a pet store. I didn't know as much as I should have, but NO regrets. Fortunately, he was a very healthy boy - a whopping 3 1/2 pounds at 8 weeks, and the conditions were very clean. I know more now than I did back then when I happened to walk in, saw him in between his brother and sister and was gobsmacked IN LOVE. I would like to have a friend for him one day, but one that is in need of a home. All of the kitties I have owned have been taken in as strays or adopted. This is a picture of Romeo when he was a baby after his first trip for bathing/grooming and nail clipping. He's a big bruiser now .
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I'm a softy

I can see that it could be a jrt x pug... but probably others too, was his sibling brindle also? If all pups were brindle I would doubt it was a cross of just those 2... if he is really 11 weeks at that size I would bet he will be about 10 lbs soaking wet.... but lots of tlc could change that! who knows that those cute little eyes have seen already poor thing. At least he is home with you now, that is what matters.

But after your experience it would be awesome if you could now share with others and do what you can to prevent other people from buying from a pet store.. and keep on the store and agencies, otherwise every cent you gave them will go into producing pups to fill the cage that you emptied..