Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old January 18th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Lost Dog!! Spencerville Ont. Area

[IMG][/IMG]Her name is Mya. She is a bermese mountain dog/mix approx. 9 yrs old. She is wearing a blue collar with her name and our home phone number stitched into it. She was last seen at our house At 3pm Thursday Jan 17th, 2008. She likes to wander through the woods (we live in the country) and we are afraid she may have gotten too far from home chasing deer or doing whatever dogs do. She is very sweet, very friendly and very loved. Please contact us at 613-658-5331, or at my email:
lizwoods76@hotmail.com
See picture attached

Last edited by lizwoods; January 19th, 2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you contacted the local shelter, including Brockville's? Just wondering if she may have slipped her collar and may not have any ID. Do your neighbours know her? Perhaps they can keep a look out for her too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Yes, we have. I have contacted ALL the shelters, rescue organizations, vets, by-law officers, townships and the SPCA in our area from Spencerville to Kemptville, Prescott, Brockville, Smiths Falls Kingston and Ottawa. No one has heard anything yet. I have an ad on 4 different websites. We have papered the cities with 'lost dog" signs and have flyers for mailboxes in our immediate area. If we dont hear anything by the end of the weekend we're going to the newspaper. I dont know what else to do! The ONLY reason she wouldnt come home is b/c someone has picked her up. We've had her for years, she has always wandered the property and surrounding area (she likes to chase the deer and turkeys etc.) but she always comes home. The one time she didnt was b/c someone picked her up and took her to the local vet. Shes so friendly she'll just jump in the car! So we know someone must have her. Our fear is that she is so sweet they might just keep her. She has a puppy and a family at home who miss her terribly!
Thank you for your suggestion, anything else you can think of would be appreciated.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
banned user

Go to the papers as soon as you can..that was where we got our leads on Sable and wished we had done an ad immediately...but we always think they will come back just like always and by the time an ad would get published they will be back.. Do as big an ad as you possibly can....try and get the paper to do a human interest story if they will..I know they don't usually but whine a little. I have heard too many stories of people finding a dog and just keeping them ... maybe not to keep the dog from going home but thinking they are helping the dog because he is lost.
I understand your fears...but don't give up...keep looking and praying
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Any news on Mya? It is soooo cold in the Ottawa area today (-25C at my place).

Hope she finds her way home soon!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh I hope you find her soon. You mentioned puppy, is it her puppy, is she still nursing. Surely if somebody saw Mya was lactating, they would turn her in.

I do know somebody from the Kemptville region who travels to Brockville daily on the back roads, I will e-mail her and ask her to keep on the look out for Mya. Hopefully you can post a pic of her soon (I couldn't access your facebook link).

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Newspapers usually post lost/found for free call them anyways and place the ad, it won't hurt anything.

Also call vets and pet shops and put flyers with PICTURES up in the local vets, pet shops, walmarts, grocery store, bus stops AND by schools. Kids are great for keepign an eye out. I'd probably send some emails out to the local rescues as well.

Make sure the flyers have pull tabs at the bottom of them that say the type of dog lost and your phone number.

Good luck to you! You will have to visit shelters DAILY don't rely on what they tell you over the telephone, things aren't always so up to date.

The picture isn't working, can you try to post the IMG tag again?
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM

Not sure when Mya's owner will be checking the board, but there is a picture of Mya on another website. Is there any objections if I post the picture for Mya's owner??

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM

Mya's owner has also posted on another board that I frequent, so I have taken the liberty of using her picture to post on this board.

sure hope she gets home soon......she's a cutie!
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM

Any news on Mya???

Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Busterboo, I sent that picture onto my friends who are absolute animal lovers, know so many people in that area and live Kemptville. They will keep an eye out for Mya.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM

thanks to eveyone for your help. I tried to upload a photo but the thread said I could not. Thanks to busterboo for posting it. no word yet. The signs are working, we've had lots of calls and been on some wild goose chases in the area, only to find 3 different dogs that were not her. CLOSE! but not her. Im greatful that people are looking out and calling. Thanks for all the suggestions! Her ad will be in the paper next weekend....
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:25 AM

So sorry that you haven't found Mya yet, I was hoping that she found her way home.

Old January 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

You might check with your local Ministry of Natural Resources. It is illegal to allow your dog to run deer or any wildlife, something you say you have been doing. She might have been shot or deliberately hit with a car if she was caught in the act. Believe me, it happens. Here, a dog seen running deer will quickly be reported to our local MNR.

It sounds like you have been allowing her to run loose off your property
Quote:
she has always wandered the property and surrounding area (she likes to chase the deer and turkeys etc.)
This contravenes Ontario's Animals At Large Act. I'd be checking with the neighbours to see who your dog might have offended. Sadly, some neighbours will not tell you and will shoot first if a loose dog is near their chickens or calves or whatever.

A friend of ours naively fell into the mistaken idea that if one of his neighbours objected to his lovely GR constantly running loose through their rural properties surely they would call him to say so. No, one of them shot the dog and our friend was completely in the wrong and had no recourse.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Love4himies;534855]Oh I hope you find her soon. You mentioned puppy, is it her puppy, is she still nursing. Surely if somebody saw Mya was lactating, they would turn her in. [QUOTE]

Not sure. I mean, look at Sheba, she still had really large nipples when we got her - which was after a passage at a shelter and a foster period with Frenchy. The general idea was that she had been dumped because she was found wandering in a field (if that's true, those who did it has a red pick-up work truck, she always barks like MAD at those, no other pick-ups!). Was her last litter still-born or died shortly after birth or just not good enough to sell, no idea, but she certainly had had puppies a very short time before being found.

for Mya, she really is pretty! All Bernese Mountaindogs are of course, also a cross like Mya go out to her so she will find her way home one way or another!
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Thank you for the suggestion longblades. I did call the MNR and they havent heard anything. They were not concerned about her "running deer" either. She is not a trained hunting dog, and she IS over 10yrs. old. We dont "have" her doing it, she just does it. Like most country dogs, when she gets a sniff of something she's off! she cant keep up of course and always comes back. All the neighbours know her, she doesnt bother any of the farm animals in the area. I understand where your coming from, but shes not a threat to anything believe me! Thanks for the fresh idea though!

Our posters are working! We have had calls from the area so we know shes still alive. All the calls are "we saw her two days ago" or "yesterday morning" and the like. We always go to the area anyway, and more flyers seem to generate more calls. We are greatful people care enough to keep an eye out and call. We're keeping our fingers crossed for the "we have her" phone call... heck, at this point I'd LOVE for someone to report her "running at large"! I'll GLADLY pay the fines to get her back!

Last edited by lizwoods; January 28th, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Any news yet?

What about posting ads on the online editions of the Prescott Journal or Recorder & Times?
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/Csb/news/jan25nr01.html

I wish the OP every success in getting her beautiful dog back. However I fear the seriousness of allowing a dog to run loose and harass wildlife might perhaps have been underestimated. As someone who walks their dog off-leash in deer areas I am quite aware of the dangers to my dog and the deer. The link above is old but still valid. Conservation Officers can be authorized to destroy dogs found running deer. The dog owner can be fined and can be held liable if their dog chases a deer into traffic and an accident is caused. It is a serious offence to allow your dog to run loose and chase deer.

On this forum there are now two lost dogs in Ontario whose owners state here, publicly, that they allow them to run loose.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM

Longblades,
I understand all to well at this point the seriousness of letting my dog run loose. These last two weeks have been torturous and heartbreaking for my family. Aside from the obvious dangers to Mya, the deer and any potential accidents caused to others, the feelings of fear and worry have taken a serious toll on all of us. My husband does not sleep properly he is so worried. I have recieved reports from school that my children are unable to concentrate. Our other dog is 4 months old and is depressed and lost without her. I search desperatly every morning and every night, driving up and down back roads looking for ANY sign of her. We have all been living on the verge of tears with knots in our stomaches for the last two weeks, so I really dont appreciate it when you come on this thread and start preaching at me about bi-laws and protocol! You yourself allow your dog to walk without a leash, and could find yourself in our same situation if your dog decided to run off unexpectedly. Please consider how you would feel, and how your comments could be upsetting to someone who is upset enough already. I understand your intention and believe me we have learned our lesson, but right now I am hoping for support and helpful suggestions - not reminders that MNR may have destroyed my baby. Thank you.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Liz, I'm sorry if my post hurt your feelings. It was not meant to and I attempted to alleviate that possiblity by starting with how much I hope your dog does come home. Perhaps I should have posted it in a separate heading but I felt more people who needed to see it might be on this thread.

It was your own post about MNR being "not concerned" that had me very worried. I would dearly like to know who told you that. I was afraid it would mislead others into thinking that a dog running loose was not a concern to them. It is especially worrying in winter when deer are yarding in the deep snow and unable to run very far, very fast. Does can abort if they are chased too hard.

I'm sorry your family is going through such turmoil and I sincerely hope the outcome is a happy one. Can we use this thread as well for education to help prevent others from experiencing the same thing? Once again, I am not a writer, so I apologize for my inept way of expressing my concern.