Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I met an Italian Greyhound a few weeks ago. A tiny version of a Greyhound. Same deal as the Mini Poodles. All the nice qualities of a full size Greyhound, but in a much smaller package. Not good to have around a larger dog or a rambunctious kid, they have pretty delicate bones until fully grown, and even then can be hurt accidently by a larger dog (in just normal play.). And because they are so small and have such minimal fur, they need extra care in cold weather. But the one I met was pretty impressive, very calm, friendly to strangers, and seemed to be loving towards her owner's infant.
Some of the full grown ones will have very fragile bones, they are not recommended for those with very young children because bones can be so easily fractured, also any rescues would insist on letting loose only in fully fenced areas as they are a sighthound, with vision to spot movement over a mile away and like their big cousins love to chase which can result in them getting lost, like their bigger cousins they have very delicate skin which can get torn with playful nipping of another dogs toenails snagging the skin. Most are given up do to house training problems. And I would not recommend a whippet which is an inbetween size as they are quite active

A young pug would be a good choice, as they are sturdier and a low energy breed
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys
A young pug would be a good choice, as they are sturdier and a low energy breed
Sturdy is a good word! I've looked up pugs, the breed doesn't seem to have any issues I can't live with. The bassets are a little higher energy than I thought, but nothing we can't oversome in our fenced yard!

Its time to start drafting a letter to the local and breed specific rescues. I'm going to see if anyone will consider me as a foster home and go from there.

Thanks all!