Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Agressive behaviour after spaying

I had my cat spayed 2 months ago when she was 5 1/2 months old. Since her spay I've noticed signs of aggression in her. She has started to growl and hiss at times when petting her and she seems to get agitated and angry very easily now. What's shocked me the most is when I had a male friend over a few days ago she stalked him and swatted him with her paws where ever he sat in my apartment. She would not let him out of her sight it was the strangest thing. She acted like this a few weeks ago as well when I was away for the weekend and the same male friend came by to feed her while I was away. He told me she would not allow him to go past the front entrance of the apartment my cat kept swatting him with her paws, hissing at him, and kind of standing in the way of him getting by in order to get into the kitchen to feed her. He knew she did not want him in the apartment period!

The only time I've ever heard my cat hiss or growl was when she went to the vet to get her first set of shots and she was sitting in her carrying cage with dogs close by. Also, when the vet tried clipping her nails for the first time she also hissed and growled and he could not clip them.

My cat is a very sweet girl most of the time although she is sneaky and bad - she's a kitten that's what I expected. We have tons of fun playing tons and catch with her toys and hide-and-go-seek (yes I hide and she comes and finds me) but I'm worried about her attitude. Does anyone have any suggestions or know whether it's due to a change in her hormones after the spay? Thanks in advance.
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sounds more to me like she has entered the bratty teenage years. She is still a baby. She will grow out of it. Maybe she senses something untrustworthy about your friend. Cats are said to be very intuitive. As are dogs. I would not think it's about her being spayed. Some of mine have their cranky moments too. In fact most do. I just ignore them for a while. They soon come around again.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Catlover2

Perhaps more interactive play with her, with a toy called "Da Bird". Most cats can't resist this one. Changing around her toys. Bring out some boxes, cut holes in the sides so she can go in and out or poke at foil balls or mousies. Rub catnip into her stuffed toys and scratching post. Grooming (combing) her every day if she enjoys it. Praise her for good behaviour; ignore her for bad behaviour. Unless something's really changed in your home, like boyfriend coming over more often than before, even change of furniture placement, it seems a little unusual. I have noticed that even the weather, especially amount of sunny days, makes a difference, and we've had a lot of cloudy weather in ON this past month. One of my cats is a real sun worshiper and he's been a little cranky with all the cloudy days.