Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Taking home wild rabbits.

At my work within a 10 block radius are 100s maybe more of wild rabbits. They keep breeding and mulitplying everyday, as rabbits will do - there is always new baby rabbits coming out of the bushes.

Now some people at my work are capturing the rabbits and taking them home. Personally I think this is a bad idea - as the rabbits are wild and probably won't like being domesticated - not to mention it could be possible that they could carry diseases.

On the other hand is it possible to take the babys and spay and neuter them then allow a shelter to adopt them out.

Personally I would never take a wild animal home - but I do feel sorry for them, they are out in the freezing cold, they get hit by cars all the time. Not to mention the food supply for them will probably get scarce if the keep breeding like they do.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I don't know about the rest, but in ecology, they teach the "carrying capacity", where the population grows and grows until it reaches a point where resources are exhausted, causing the death rate to increase and the birth rate to decrease. The population plateaus at that particular number.

I don't know, sometimes I think we do more damage helping than if we just leave them be... Sometimes...

That said, my dad picked up a rabbit when we were little. He wasn't too domesticated, but he was cute and well fed... Probably the only one of his gazillion siblings who ever went to a vet...
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
At my work within a 10 block radius are 100s maybe more of wild rabbits. They keep breeding and mulitplying everyday, as rabbits will do - there is always new baby rabbits coming out of the bushes.
This type of population explosion happens when humans have killed off all the natural predators of rabbits, of which there are many.

It really doesn't matter if people take them home or not, since they are not living in anything that resembles a natural environment and will likely starve anyway.
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

We had the same problem in Victoria. I remember after I gave birth my room faced a rabbit hole. I found out later that the city does a cleansing every few years to keep the numbers down. People with a permit go out and shoot. I just about died when I heard this. As for taking them home, just be careful that they are not sick. Too bad that city expansion has got rid of wild life that would have kept the rabbit pop in check....Another score for humans
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Actually they are cute one came right up to me stood up and put his paws on me - I was scared to pet him though they are supposed to be wild. Actually smaller animals scare me a bit. I got bitten by my friends ferret a few years back.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!