Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Found Lump on Sugars Leg

While doing Sugars eye drops I stroked her side and told her she is a good girl I found the lump. I will be calling the vet in the morning I hope it's not a bad thing she has been through so much already. Having some medical experience (in humans) it is free moving and doesn't cause any discomfort it could be just a fatty cysts I hope If this is the case do they remove them?
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

If it's just a fatty cyst, which is what it sounds like, aslong as it's not bothering her, the choice will probably be yours. If it's not too large they would usually remove it with a local anesthetic.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks aslan that's what I thought but I'll get it checked just to be sure. I just hope it doesn't take a week to get in.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

good luck with your baby, i know we worry when they aren't quite right.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Typically they won't remove fatty lumps unless they're interfering with movement or seem painful.

that that's all it is! Lumps are scary!

for your vet visit!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:37 AM

Thank you hazelrunpack lumps are very scary ,lost my border collie Lady to cancer first lump I found on her was just a fatty cyst. But the second one was cancer and it was too late to do anything vet said she was too old at 15 to make it through the surgery, she only lived a few months after that.:sad: Vet opens in an hour just have to wait.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck with the vet today

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM

Oh no I thought the vet opened at 8:30 no one answered I guess it must be 9.
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM

Finally an answer Sugars appointment is at 9:15 tomorrow morning. Vet is so busy sometimes it's a weeks wait.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck with Sugar tomorrow, lotus!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
-

I hope it is just a fatty tumour.....good luck at the vet today.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM

Sugars vet visit not good:sad: Her lump is a tumor she will be scheduled for surgery next month Tumor was measured she returns to vet next week if it's growing fast surgery will be bumped up. Vet also reexamined her eye and is very concerned, I thought it was doing better(swelling is down) but he said ulcer is larger she has lost all vision in her right eye now:sad: If the ulcer continues on this path she will loose her eye too And here I thought we were doing so good with her Vet loved her doogles though said it will keep the sun from doing more damage, said he thinks he'll get a pair for his little dog and bring some in for the office. What away to start the weekend.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Smile

i hope that the tumor in sugars leg is removed and she gets better...it sounds like you caught it in time...i also hope that she dosnt have to loose her eye...best of wishes
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, I was hoping for better news.:sad:

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
-

Sorry to hear the news about Sugar lotus, did the Vet do a biopsy on the lump to determine it was a tumour, just curious. for dear Sugar.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM

No biopsy done he said by the density of the lump it is not just a cyst also attached to the muscle in the leg. After it is remove it will be sent away to determine if it is cancerous. Hubby just called to see how she made out, he is very concerned and said he thinks we should get a second opinion. We like and trust our vet but another opinion can't hurt.
I am very scared lost our dear Lady(another rescue) to cancer. I don't want that for our little girl.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
-

Second opinion can't hurt thats for sure lotus
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
-

I'm so sorry......I was hoping for better news as well. I would want the surgery done asap.....can you not get scheduled any sooner than a month from now?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Mom to Harley

Lotus,

I am so sorry to hear your news. I am wondering something about her eye. You said you were putting drops in her eye for an ulcer. The ulcer isn't healing with the drops and is actually getting worse? What kind of drops antibotic or steroidal? What is the swelling? Is it like her eye is bulging out or is it like tissue swelling?

I am asking this because I have a dog that recently had an ulcer on his eye that also wouldn't heal initially. His eye also appeared larger than the other so the vet checked his eye pressures and found the eye with the ulcer had increased pressure. Anything with steroids was absoultely out of the question with the ulcer because they would hinder healing. My vet consulted with an opthamologist and we started Harley on non-steroidal glaucoma drops. The drops were called Cosopt and we had to get them from a people pharmacy. Also the reason his ulcer wouldn't heal was because the edges kept curling under. The vet sedated him and made scratches on his cornea in a grid pattern. It looked really nasty at first but it allowed the ulcer to heal then with the antibiotic drops. After the ulcer cleared up his pressures returned to normal and we were able to discontinue the Cosopt too.

Now, I do know that all situations are different but I just though maybe our experience may give you some new ideas to talk to your vet about. Also, I know I was so scared that Harely would lose his eye too and I felt so bad, but you know dogs do amazing well with vision loss. Sugar would only lose one eye and she would adapt. If she is currently blind in it already it wouldn't make a difference to her. She has already made the adaptations. She would just look different to you. Harley had catarachts (sp??) when he was very young and was totally blind in both eyes. It is amazing how well he got around util he had the catarachts removed and artificial lenses inserted.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A second opinion never hurts, lotus. If you have any doubts, at the very least, the second opinion can often lay them to rest.

When it's finally removed, that the biopsy comes back as benign

And best wishes for Sugar's eye problem, as well.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I'm so sorry......I was hoping for better news as well. I would want the surgery done asap.....can you not get scheduled any sooner than a month from now?
The vet is so backed up surgerys have to be book a month a head. After hubby got home we have decided not to get the second opinion and go ahead with the surgery. I just hope we can get it done before we leave on holidays in September. My Oldest son and gf will stay at the house for the week ,and take care of her and Peanut. In return I will pay for his kitten to be spayed.
Nicker: as for her eye , yes it was bulging but it was just the ulcer not the whole eye. Vet thinks the sun has played a role in damaging the eye more she loves to play outside that is why we got the doggles. To us the eye looks better but were not vets ,can't remember what the drops are a sticker is over the original label and if I peal it off the other one peals too. Sugars story is long but I will try to shorten it for you. Sugar is a puppy mill rescue approx. 2 years old ,she had a bad injury to her right eye when she was rescued, which caused the ulcer. She has been through a lot since her rescue in April, mange to the point of nearly no fur left, mites that actually chewed her ears raw,malnutrition weighed only 1.5lbs, dehydrated ,they think she was left to die, oh and can't forget she was found in a ginnypig(spelling?) cage, this is just a few bits of her history. When I received her in June she still had a very thin coat, ears were still scabbed and still had whip worm, and she was so scared of people you could not get near her. Sugar has come a long way in the few months we had her weighs 6lbs ,I can now pick her up from the floor ,she will lie beside me on the couch and she licks my face. Even greets me when I come home. She still has a fear of men, we are working on that.

Chris21711: we decided against the second opinion because after feeling the lump again myself it does not feel like the cyst Lady had this feels quite hard and it is so close to her hip that we want it gone before it has a chance to invade the hip, as of now vet said it is not in the hip. If I had a lump and doctor said it should be removed I would have it removed ,I will do for Sugar as I would do for me. Once removed and biopsy is done we can take action as necessary we want the best for her and feel removing it now will help give her that. She deserves the very best our vet is very good and we trust him.
I will be calling the vet to get the appointment this morning, in the mean time we will keep a close eye on it as it it 2cm now if it gets any bigger vet said he will bump the surgery to remove it quickly.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
-

I agree it is best to go with the vet you like and trust. If it's possible for you I would tell them if there are any cancellations before your surgery appt. that you would like to come in sooner.

Good luck.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Vet called there was a cancellation Sugar goes in for surgery 9 tomorrow morning. I am so scared for her but happy it will gone.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and lots of ers that the surgery goes well! for you. I hope everything goes well.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; August 25th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

and s for a good outcome for Sugar!

s for you, lotus! We're thinking of you!

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am glad you got in sooner, always better sooner, than later

Good luck tomorrow

It is always scary when your loved one has to have surgery, but I am sure all will go well.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks for all your support everyone. In away I wish I had more time to prepare for this, one month to next day.
Don't want to do the cone on Sugar do you think I could stuff a sock and tie it around her neck? Would it work the same?
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
-

Happy to hear you managed to get Sugar in sooner lotus, that all goes well for her. Just read your last post lotus, Skippy just had an operation, took him in today to get the stitches removed. He didn't need to wear a cone. The other guys gave it a sniff and I said "No" and I caught him a couple of times and threatened him with the cone and he left it completely alone, I guess it depends on the dog.

Last edited by Chris21711; August 25th, 2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: to add something
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Thanks for all your support everyone. In away I wish I had more time to prepare for this, one month to next day.
Don't want to do the cone on Sugar do you think I could stuff a sock and tie it around her neck? Would it work the same?
I'm glad to hear you got Sugar in so fast .....it's better to find out sooner than later imo.

Good luck tomorrow....I hope all goes well.

Another member (Lauren Bev) posted about an alternative to the cone called the Pro Collar in this thread...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55693
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Just got back from dropping Sugar at the vets. They said they will call and let me know how she's doing. Oh this is going to be a long wait I just know it. Vet said he will likely send her home tonight with me as it will be better for her, that's good.
I guess I'll do some tank cleaning while I wait, keep my mine off things.