Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Sad, frustrated and a vent---Neighbor's outside kitty

I feel so down today. My neighbors have the most beautiful long-haired outside cat. He is a love bug and everyone in the neighborhood loves him. He is about 7 years old. Now the key here is "outside cat".

Last night, we were walking our dog. It hit 99 degrees yesterday, so we were trying to get our girl out after it cooled some. A neighbor down our street came to me and asked if I knew whose owned "Kitty", because Kitty was sick. This neighbor is like us, kind, caring and loves animals. Her house was one that Kitty enjoyed spending time (there are 3 main houses where Kitty hangs out). Kitty was in the drive way, lethargic, breathing heavily with his mouth open. He had obvious fluid in the abdomen. His pink nose was nearly white. We both knew this was a dire, emergency situation. My neighbor asked if I would go with her to the owner's house (once I told her where the cat lived). We brought the owner to the cat and kept saying how sick he seemed and how worried we were. I made sure to tell about the emergency vet clinics in the area--stressing that Kitty seemed to be in distress and needed help. My neighbor took Kitty and put him in the garage and said she'd get him to the vet "tomorrow" after she took family to the airport.

My neighbors aren't horrible people, but they just don't put a priority on pets. I wish everyone could value these sweet, gentle creatures the way I do; the way I know that you folks do. It hurts so much and it isn't my cat. But he was my friend. I know he won't pull through this. I know cats get in really bad shape before we know they are sick. I know the family won't spend the money or time to help him (if possible). It is sad, but I'm really hoping they will euthanize him so he won't suffer--if he didn't pass last night. It is such a helpless feeling. I can't take a neighbor's pet to the ER and spend thousands. I can't euthanize my neighbor's cat.

I really believe that cats should be inside, but know that there are farm situations, etc. that let it be more acceptable for cats to be out--this isn't one of those cases. I just feel that this sweet heart could have lead a long life of luxury if he had been inside where he could be treasured and cherished. I'm just feel sad and helpless. I can't have a cat, so I really enjoyed this cat's company. for the sweet kitty I called "Fuzzy Tail".

Thanks, and sorry. I can't help crying about this. I knew you folks would understand. I just feel .
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's hard to read without choking up. People (the majority of pet lovers I mean) would not treat their dogs like this but they seem to feel it's acceptable for cats. It pisses me off big time to read stories like this but we do. All the time.
I pray the kitty passed quickly or the human at least had the decency to take him to the vet to be euthanized. Poor sweetie.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Very disturbing indeed and I am so sorry that you are feeling what the owners SHOULD be feeling right now.

The cat will pass and life will go on for those people. Remember one thing however, this misdeed does not go unnoticed...

to you ScottieDog. I am sorry.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Call your local humane society and make a report. They can go out and issue an order that they have to take their cat to a vet.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Call your local humane society and make a report. They can go out and issue an order that they have to take their cat to a vet.
I agree. Hopefully the humane society in your area will act very quickly.

Also, I know there is just so much we can do, but as a concerned neighbour who knew the cat was very ill, it would not be out of line to knock on their door to enquire how the kitty is doing today. If there is reason to believe that they have still not sought treatment for the kitty then call the humane society immediately. That is what I would do.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I ask the age old question we have all asked, "why do people like this even get a pet?" I know many see cats as the kind of pet that can practically take care of themselves.

That poor sweet little creature. If he passed, I hope he did not suffer long.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/