Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Hills Science Plan

Hey,
At Tally's last puppy party we were given free samples of Hills Science Pet Food (or something like that) and we decided to try her on that as she was getting a bit chubby. She wolfed the food down and we're thinking of switching her to that. The only problem is that it seems to have given her wind - is this food good? Will the wind stop?
Sarah XxX
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest you ask your vet about the dog food. They would know the best. I have never heard of it. Also do a search on the internet.
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Since your vet sells Science Diet in his office and makes money on the sales, I am willing to bet that he will give this food rave reviews.

Here is the list of ingredients from the large breed light food:

Corn meal, soybean mill run 16% (a source of fiber), chicken by-product meal (a source of natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), peanut hulls, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, chicken liver flavor, vegetable oil, dried egg product, dried chicken cartilage (a source of natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), flaxseed, L-lysine, taurine, L-tryptophan, L-carnitine, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

It gave your dog gas because your dog can not properly digest corn and soy. No dog can and yet they are the first two ingredients in the food. Chicken by products are the parts of chickens that they can't sell to anyone else.

Most vets have about a semester of dog nutrition classes. Your vet gets a big presentation from the pet food companies about how great their food is and then they sell it for a profit. In my opinion, not the best way to find out about how good a food really is.

My girls eat either a raw diet or Canidae. No soy, no corn. No gas.
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

*giggle @ LavR*

I have switched my girl to Wellness, Lamb and Rice. She loves it but farts upa storm!!! Is there really a way to get away from the gas?!?! Except for those diapers that I saw on here a long time ago, the ones with the filter LOL! That's funny!
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Try adding a little bit of plain yogurt to her food. Should help with the gas but may take a couple of days.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Like LR said forget about that food too expensive for a bag of filler. I will let you in on a food that I have recently switched Buddy to. I was feeding him Diamond Large Breed it is only one of 2 Diamond foods (the natural one is also good) that I would use the others are not as good quality they have corn in them. The food is approx. $60-65 for a 50 pound bag. But I belong to a group of Mastiff owners and a lot of them are in the U.S. and food is substantially less expensive there, literally half the price on high quality stuff. Somebody had reccommended Kirkland Series from Costco very good food made by guess who Diamond almost exactly the same as the large breed and a 40 pound bag is 22.00. I saved enough money on 2 bags to pay for the membership and a cab home. Buddy is doing great on it and it comes in chicken and rice and lamb and rice the Lamb formula is a $1.00 or 2 more but still a great deal. I wa feeding Buddy prior to Diamond, Solid Gold at 55 for a 30 pound bag I would have to buy almost 3 a month. So now we spend more on toys and treats
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Yes, our vets do sell this food and they say it's the best thing. I alreday did a search and it looks good.
Has anybody else fed their dog this?
We really want to keep Tally on a brand of food, not a raw diet/etc as this will be too inconveniant for our lifestyle.
Does this brand sound really bad then? We don't want to try lots of different foods because it will upset her tummy.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

If your vet carries it and they say it is healthy, then I would trust them. I think that my aunt may have used it for her yorkie. The one brand of dog food you should NEVER get is Ol' Roy. My vet back in my home town said that it contains the same ingrediant they use to put animals to sleep!!!!
So inform EVERYONE you know about this.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Science diet and Iams are not good quality foods they are basically filler. Of course your vet recommends it he sells it and gets a commission for selling it. The second or third ingredient is corn and a lot of dogs have an allergy to corn or develop one. Good foods are Wellness, Natural Balance, Canidae, Fromm, Wysong but fromm and wysong are a little harder to get and you always need to check expiry dates on the food you are buying.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If your vet carries it and they say it is healthy, then I would trust them.
This is not true. Most vets are not well versed on the nutritional values of various dog foods, and recommend whatever they have on their shelves, which around here is Eukanuba and Science Diet - neither of which I would feed my animals.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Before you buy a bag of expensive dog food from your vet, please ask him/her how many hours of canine nutritional training he/she had before graduating.

Ultimately, whatever you feed your dog is up to you. I have heard of many dogs that have done fine on Ole' Roy. But I sure wouldn't feed it to mine. If you want to listen to your vet, have at it. My vet doesn't necessarily agree with my dogs eating raw, but now that he has looked into it a bit more, he is much happier about it.

Ole' Roy, if I am not mistaken, contains meat by products. This can include the meat from animals that have been euthanized at shelters although that is less common now days.
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my cats nothing with corn or corn-meal in it,I think in the long run,paying a bit more for a good brand will benefit both you and your animal.
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I just checked the pack of Hill's Science and this is what it said:

INGREDIENTS: cereals, meat and animal derivatives, oils and fats, deviratives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, eggs and egg derivatives, seeds, L-tryptophan, L-lysine hydrochloride.

AVERAGE ANALYSIS: Protein 27.8%, fat 18.5%, fibre 2.5%, ash 6.9%, calcium 1.29%

PER KG: Vitamin A 9, 100 IU, Vitamin D3 530 IU, Vitamin E 600 mg. Copper (copper sulphate) 12.3 mg. With natural preservatives (citric acid) and natural antioxidants (mixed tocopherols.)

This is all the nutritional information on here. Can anybody point out the good and bad things that are in here?
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

doesnt science diet have corn??I could have sworn it did,used to feed my dog that when i had him,but he was always biting at his skin,put him on solid gold,never did it again,,coat felt like mink awesome food
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

INGREDIENTS: cereals, meat and animal derivatives, oils and fats, deviratives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, eggs and egg derivatives, seeds, L-tryptophan, L-lysine hydrochloride.

AVERAGE ANALYSIS: Protein 27.8%, fat 18.5%, fibre 2.5%, ash 6.9%, calcium 1.29%

PER KG: Vitamin A 9, 100 IU, Vitamin D3 530 IU, Vitamin E 600 mg. Copper (copper sulphate) 12.3 mg. With natural preservatives (citric acid) and natural antioxidants (mixed tocopherols.)

Well lets start with the fact that now they include corn as cereal. What are animal derivatives (by products waste) not human grade. Everything is a derivative or by product the protien level is to high unless you have a very active dog you will have a fat dog. If you look at a bag of Solid Gold besides there is no corn. The first ingredients are meat or poultry not a derivative of. Using high quality food will help your dog live a longer healthier life and will most likely save you a lot of money in vet bills. Plus the difference in their coats you will be able to see and feel within months of switching foods.
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Well lets start with the fact that now they include corn as cereal. What are animal derivatives (by products waste) not human grade. Everything is a derivative or by product the protien level is to high unless you have a very active dog you will have a fat dog. If you look at a bag of Solid Gold besides there is no corn. The first ingredients are meat or poultry not a derivative of. Using high quality food will help your dog live a longer healthier life and will most likely save you a lot of money in vet bills. Plus the difference in their coats you will be able to see and feel within months of switching foods.
yup... within 1 month I noticed less than half the shedding in my rottie. Her coat looked great before - but it looks even better now. I'm now well into my second month with her on Performatrin Ultra (from Pet Valu) and I'm now noticing a lot more energy and agility (well - when she's not too close to the couch ! ) Last night she actually played soccer with me for like 15min - I haven't been able to get more than 2-3min of that kind of play out of her in over a year I'm extremely happy with the Performatrin Ultra and would recommend it to everyone! (I know I sound like a commercial) And it only cost me about $30 per month and Rosie's an 80lbs dog.

My local store just started carrying the cat food too... I'll likely switch the cat over too when I need to buy more food - I haven't noticed much of a difference in her over the last 2 months - she's been on Nutro. She also sheds too much and is...well let not candy coat it - Obese!. I've tried everything, all the "lite" foods and her food is rationed, not left out for her. The vet said "she needs to lose weight" - well duh - but he couldn't suggest anything I haven't already tried. It doesn't help the shedding part when she will NOT be brushed... LOL Cats!
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I really don't know much about cat food but maybe a totally natural or holisitc food with no preservatives and low fat and protien levels. Performatrim is a good food my guy did not do well on it but that was about him not the food. It is reasonable to I love solid gold but when you have to buy 3 bags a month it is pricey.
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

For the cat, I would switch to good quality canned food. Since you have only one cat, it won't be that expensive!
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

The ingredients I listed are straight off of the Hill's website. Corn is listed as the first and fifth ingredients. Soy is the second and sixth.

Last edited by Ford; February 7th, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
For the cat, I would switch to good quality canned food. Since you have only one cat, it won't be that expensive!
Tried it ... well fancy fest anyway but the ingredients look good on the can - all meat. Why would the wet be better for weight loss?

She is doing a little better now on the Nutro... but I'm definatly going to try the Performatrin Ultra cat food. When we got her she was a thin little cat (she was 6 months old from the local shelter)... and stayed that way for the first 8 months we had her... then we went to visit my parents and had someone come in and look after her, the dog was with us... but they didn't stay the night - we came back to twice the cat in 2 weeks... Since then it's been an uphill battle.

Part of it is that she is not very active she only moves for her food and one or 2 crazy runs around the house a day, she's not sick - just lazy... oh and we can't forget when she chases the dog up the stairs to bite her leg
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
...and wysong are a little harder to get and you always need to check expiry dates on the food you are buying.
You know I don't have a dog...have no need to brush up on dog food info, but was skimming this post anyhow....and you know I have never once thought to look on a bag or can of cat food for an expiry date???
See, it's a good thing I'm bored and nosy!! (And hubby always says that never comes in handy!)
You learn new stuff in the strangest places!!!
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
My local store just started carrying the cat food too... I'll likely switch the cat over too when I need to buy more food - I haven't noticed much of a difference in her over the last 2 months - she's been on Nutro. She also sheds too much and is...well let not candy coat it - Obese!. I've tried everything, all the "lite" foods and her food is rationed, not left out for her. The vet said "she needs to lose weight" - well duh - but he couldn't suggest anything I haven't already tried. It doesn't help the shedding part when she will NOT be brushed... LOL Cats!
Ya, I went through the ingredients on the floor with the lady in the pet store when I was choosing a better cat food....Nutro has great advertising but corn was still high on the ingredient list. Mine are eating Wellness (which I think was only about $6 more than the Nutro) and seem to like it.

And by far the best thing to do for an overweight cat is to excersise them....we play string on a stick (a dowel with a shoe string tied through a drilled hole), and I can get all three of mine to chase it so hard that they need to sit and pant (me too sometimes!). Everyone walks their dogs and forgets that poor "Mr. Boots" likes to get winded too!

I was also told by my vet not to leave the cats on diet cat food for more than one bag's worth, if by then there is no improvement it isn't working.
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I kind of agree with that vet. Badger has inhaled more diet food, and he's still the fine hunk of cat he's always been. Now I give them both regular Innova and they love it. It isn't perfect - chicken meal is one of the first five ingredients - but there is no corn or any other filler that I can see. D*** expensive though.
Badger just gets less food, period. They do get some canned every day, with water added so it's like a soup and then I pour it over the dry. They can have them crunchy too, if they want. Badger likes a game of flyball at least once a day and if he wants to go out he has to drag himself down and back up one of those outside spiral staircases three floors. He's never gonna be a sylph and I'm not gonna obsess about it.
But I'm interested in the protein angle. Too much protein is fattening?
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer
Ya, I went through the ingredients on the floor with the lady in the pet store when I was choosing a better cat food....Nutro has great advertising but corn was still high on the ingredient list. Mine are eating Wellness (which I think was only about $6 more than the Nutro) and seem to like it.

And by far the best thing to do for an overweight cat is to excersise them....we play string on a stick (a dowel with a shoe string tied through a drilled hole), and I can get all three of mine to chase it so hard that they need to sit and pant (me too sometimes!). Everyone walks their dogs and forgets that poor "Mr. Boots" likes to get winded too!

I was also told by my vet not to leave the cats on diet cat food for more than one bag's worth, if by then there is no improvement it isn't working.

Yah I noticed that on the dog food with nutro... that's why i did more research.... the cat food wasn't as bad as the dog.

As for exercising... she just will not play unless she feels like it... she's quite moody and only seems to want to play when the dog is around... but then the dog gets in on it (the dog loves string - the fuzzy mouse (which is now offically a dog toy)... especially the laser pointer ) So I put the dog out so the cat can play without being stomped to death and she sits and waits for Rosie by the door... so I put the cat out to play (in the fenced yard) and she just wants to lay in the grass.... I can't win Maybe I should get her a harness and walk her... That should be a pleasent experiance for all involved

I will be trying a new food on the next bag though. Actually could she possibly be getting too much food... she's an average size cat... with more fat than she needs... she gets 1/4 cup of nutro twice a day... that was a little less than the recommended amount if I recall correctly (it's nearing the end of the bag and I pour it into another container and toss the bag... so I can't check that)
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM

oh man!! I have been using Science Diet ever since I've had my dogs! I thought it was a good brand!! I just assumed that because it's recommended by Vets (and is expensive!), that it would be quality. Looks like I shall have to do some research and change brands..
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:59 AM
~Cat Servent~

My cats are all self feeders, well for the dry food anyhow...so I have no idea what the bag says to feed them! I do ration the wet food though and I have to feed Buddy seperate or else he eats all his and then muscles the girls away from theirs as well!
Windy has been heavy ever since we got Smoke and both got a little hefty after they got fixed, but as soon as we went back to a normal schedule Smoke slimmed right down (with a bit of help from a diet food and extra exersise). Windy has a little fat pouch and is really stocky (I swear most of it is muscle now from fighting with Buddy cause man is she strong now, if she decides to fight back when I pick her up to clip her claws or something, I lose!) but the vet says she is ok as long as she doesn't get any heavier. So with her I am more just trying to maintain her current weight.
Buddy on the other hand is still getting used to not having to gobble his food so someone else doesnt eat it, he's gained about 3 lbs since we took him in! He looks good now though, even people in the building say he looks much better now that I have taken him in.

Windy is probably more like your cat....plays only when she feels like it. Smoke and Buddy I can always get to chase the string... and I still think a cat panting is the cutest thing! The most exersise Windy gets is when Buddy decides to play with her... man do they ever tear up and down the hall!
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:29 AM

Hi, I feed my cats Science Diet and they are doing great! I tried feeding them dry food by Nature's but they don't have any pooh. Then I found out they don't have enough fibre in them. I went to the vet and she recommend Science Diet. All the vets I took my cats to (I have 3 vets because they have different charges [flea treatments + injections from "cheapest" vet), and all of them feed their pets with Science Diet. My cats did so well with this food in Canada that I bought 8 bags (8lbs) to bring back to Hong Kong with me (very expensive in Hong Kong).

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Many dogs do great on Ole Roy too. The problem is long term health. I have talked to many a person who feed their dogs inexpensive dog food and I hear the same thing many times. I fed "Fluffy" this brand for 10 years, until I lost her to cancer. Now, ten years may sound like a long time, unless you are talking about a dog with a life expectancy of 13-15 years.

The better the food, the less the poo. The body utilizes more of the ingredients, leaving less waste to dispose of. When my girls are on a raw diet, they poo once a day. When they are on Canidae, once maybe twice a day. When they were eating crappy dog food, they were pooping 3 times a day. I am all for anything with less poo.
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM

We've actually decided to keep Tally on Pedigree.
She is no longer so fond of Hill's and after a few bowls we noticed her poo was runny and yellow - it was like this when we first put her on Hill's when she was about ten weeks.
She likes Pedigree and it has good variety, so we've decided to stick with that.
Thanks for your advice.
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I could be wrong but I think that Pedigree is bad for them as well. Someone else would know more but that is what I think.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo