Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM

Seizures

Hi everyone! I am new here, first post actually. Not a great way to start, but I really would like some advice from anyone who is going through or has gone through the same thing. I have two Dachshunds. Mika and Theo. Mika is 5 and Theo is 4. I rescued Theo when he was just 7 weeks old. I instantly fell in love with him. Sadly, two days after I rescued him, he became very ill. I brought him back to the shelter that I had rescued him from as they had told me their vet would check him out. He stayed the night and when I called the next day, they had not really done anything for the poor pup. I went and got him and brought him to Mika's vet right away. After numerous tests, turned out that Theo had parvo virus and coccidia. I was devastated. My vet treated Theo right away and after a few bumpy days, vet said that he would make it. Day after Theo came home, he was back at the vets and being treated for Kennel Cough. Week after that, Mange. A really really bad case of Mange. We managed to get through everything and a few months later, Theo's health was much better and he was a happy pup. A very energetic, vocal, pup.

He was vaccinated only after all this issues had cleared up and was brought up to date with them. When I got him he had received his first round of puppy shots but we had to wait for the rest till he was better so the vet started over. The next year (2009) Theo had his regular shots ago, except for Lepto. In 2009 like the previous year, I used Revolution to prevent heartworms, etc. Started in May and went to November. November 29th, 2009 Theo had his first seizure. It only lasted about 30 seconds, and I was not sure what it was as it happened so fast. Fast forward to June 2010 and Theo again had a seizure, all paws flat out and head bobbing from side to side. I freaked out. It was terrible to watch him. Since he was on the floor, I sat down and placed my legs on either side of him and calmed told him everything was going to be okay. Again, lasted 30 seconds and right after, he was up and running as if nothing had happened. He did not pee, and he was lucid the whole time during the seizure. Called the vet, told me to watch him closely, and if it happened again within and 6-8 week period we would have to look into treatment. Theo had another seizure 12 weeks later. Again, was over quickly and he was up and going right afterwards. Again the vet said to watch him closely. Theo went 5 months without another one and this time it lasted longer, but this time he did pee on the bed but not other issues like drooling, or anything else. Again 2 months later another seizure.

I'll fast forward to this past December 16th. Theo had a seizure that seemed much longer then the others, I was watching the clock but stopped counting to make sure he was okay. Each time Theo has a seizure he is lucid, and awake and aware and listens to my voice. This time, I thought it was over and then he started another brief one. This time, he was panting afterwards but otherwise okay. I had then started keeping a bag of crushed ice in the freezer to apply to his mid back when a seizure starts. Here is the link as it would take to long to explain why I do this. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...om/icepack.htm He went another 4 months to this past April 9th and had another one. Again he was panting, and I thought it had stopped and he started the shaking again for a minute or so. I just read recently that this might be a Status epilepticus seizure which are life threatening. I called the vet right away and since he was already out of it he told me to come in and see him when I take him in for his rabies shot and blood test to make sure there are not heart worms, or lime disease, etc before he starts his Revolution again.

So, (so sorry its so long) I am worried about a few things, one of course is the seizures, I will ask the vet do another cbc but they always come back normal. I am afraid to give him a rabies shot because if his immune system is not strong it might do some damage and I heard that vaccinations can cause seizures, as well as revolution prevention etc. Not sure what to do. I thought it was the revolution as the first one happened 2 weeks after using the product then he didn't have another until June, 2 weeks after using the product again. I am not sure what it is because in 2008 he used this product with no issues. Is there any advice that could be shared here as what to do?? My dogs are walked twice daily and never left alone outdoors. They are often out with me, love car rides in their car seat but are never alone outside. So do I skip the rabies shot, do I try another medication other than Revolution? I do love my vet, he saved Theo's life but sometimes I feel that I am asking him too many questions (even though he answers them all). I do a lot of research and sometimes there are things I mention that he has not heard of. Gosh this is so long I will stop now. Please if anyone can give some tips or info I would truly appreciate it. I love my dogs so much. I just finished a second round of chemo and these dogs have been at my side the entire time and I would give anything for them. Breaks my heart to see Theo suffer even though he seems so normal right after the seizures. Oh one more thing, I am going to get the vet to start some kind of meds but don't want anything to toxic are there such drugs out there that help with seizures but are not damaging to the liver and such? Thanks so much.

Last edited by marko; May 1st, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Kasianni,that poor dog and you have certainly had a hard time,I really have no advice to give,no experience with dogs and seizures,however,I would never give a vaccine to an animal who is not 100%,I am sure others will agree with me.
I have 2 cats(15,10yrs old)and I have stopped vaccine altogether,other than Rabies as required,every 3 years.

If you are patient,we have a few very knowledgable people here who can give you better advice than I,ok...
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi Kasianni, welcome to the board, though I'm sorry it's under such difficult circumstances

Seizures... where to begin!! I will be more than happy to share my experiences with you, but it will have to be when I get home from work, later this eve. My sweet boy has been having seizures since he was around 3 months old (possibly even before we got him). He just had his 2nd birthday, though we were told to put him down after his second seizure (a week after the first). I will check back in a bit later and let you know what we have went through, treatments and why our vet thinks he's having them. Take care

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't dealt with a dog that has had seizures, but a few things in my checklest would be first to find a way, if possible, to get the vet to write a waiver for the rabies vaccine. Maybe run rabies titers to show still has immunity if your vet is not sure.

I would want a thyroid panel done on any seizure dog.

I wouldn't use Revolution. For heartworm, Interceptor at 1/5 the normal dose is called Safeheart and is used for HW only, which is what I've used for many years. Problem though is that most areas can't get Interceptor right now.

I admittedly am paranoid about tick diseases, so in any undiagnosed seizure dog, I would run a trial of doxycycline before starting seizure meds, which would be a grand experiment and not one likely that any vet would agree to.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just a thought. Given that my ACD had a number of Grand mal seizures bought on by pain from a gastric ulcer, I wonder could other types of pain cause them also? In Dachshunds the one I'd think of is back pain, and I'm not suggesting this is what it is with your dog, Kasianni, I imagine you'd see other signs if it was that. Just curious, if anyone knows the answer? Incidentally, this girl of mine had a mast cell tumour and such tumours release chemicals that cause gastric ulcers. I imagine there are many reasons a dog could start to sieze though and your vet is probably the one who might pinpoint why it's happening. I did have Susie on Phenomav all her life and we had no further seizures, but hers were severe and ongoing until we medicated her. She didn't die of liver failure, she was sent to the Bridge because of very painful bone cancer years later. A friend's Shih Tzu has much milder fits and her vet doesn't want to put her on med's. I think I'd be led by what my vet wants, though maybe not on vaccines.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Hi everyone! I am new here, first post actually. Not a great way to start, but I really would like some advice from anyone who is going through or has gone through the same thing. I have two Dachshunds. Mika and Theo. Mika is 5 and Theo is 4. I rescued Theo when he was just 7 weeks old. I instantly fell in love with him. Sadly, two days after I rescued him, he became very ill. I brought him back to the shelter that I had rescued him from as they had told me their vet would check him out. He stayed the night and when I called the next day, they had not really done anything for the poor pup. I went and got him and brought him to Mika's vet right away. After numerous tests, turned out that Theo had parvo virus and coccidia. I was devastated. My vet treated Theo right away and after a few bumpy days, vet said that he would make it. Day after Theo came home, he was back at the vets and being treated for Kennel Cough. Week after that, Mange. A really really bad case of Mange. We managed to get through everything and a few months later, Theo's health was much better and he was a happy pup. A very energetic, vocal, pup.

He was vaccinated only after all this issues had cleared up and was brought up to date with them. When I got him he had received his first round of puppy shots but we had to wait for the rest till he was better so the vet started over. The next year (2009) Theo had his regular shots ago, except for Lepto. In 2009 like the previous year, I used Revolution to prevent heartworms, etc. Started in May and went to November. November 29th, 2009 Theo had his first seizure. It only lasted about 30 seconds, and I was not sure what it was as it happened so fast. Fast forward to June 2010 and Theo again had a seizure, all paws flat out and head bobbing from side to side. I freaked out. It was terrible to watch him. Since he was on the floor, I sat down and placed my legs on either side of him and calmed told him everything was going to be okay. Again, lasted 30 seconds and right after, he was up and running as if nothing had happened. He did not pee, and he was lucid the whole time during the seizure. Called the vet, told me to watch him closely, and if it happened again within and 6-8 week period we would have to look into treatment. Theo had another seizure 12 weeks later. Again, was over quickly and he was up and going right afterwards. Again the vet said to watch him closely. Theo went 5 months without another one and this time it lasted longer, but this time he did pee on the bed but not other issues like drooling, or anything else. Again 2 months later another seizure.

I'll fast forward to this past December 16th. Theo had a seizure that seemed much longer then the others, I was watching the clock but stopped counting to make sure he was okay. Each time Theo has a seizure he is lucid, and awake and aware and listens to my voice. This time, I thought it was over and then he started another brief one. This time, he was panting afterwards but otherwise okay. I had then started keeping a bag of crushed ice in the freezer to apply to his mid back when a seizure starts. Here is the link as it would take to long to explain why I do this. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...om/icepack.htm He went another 4 months to this past April 9th and had another one. Again he was panting, and I thought it had stopped and he started the shaking again for a minute or so. I just read recently that this might be a Status epilepticus seizure which are life threatening. I called the vet right away and since he was already out of it he told me to come in and see him when I take him in for his rabies shot and blood test to make sure there are not heart worms, or lime disease, etc before he starts his Revolution again.

What you're describing towards the end sounds more like a cluster seizure, which is very dangerous as well. Status Epilepticus usually lasts for several minutes to hours, whereas clusters tend to be just that, seizure after seizure. This is a great link for understanding the different types of seizures. It helped me a lot
http://www.dogseizures.net/

So, (so sorry its so long) I am worried about a few things, one of course is the seizures, I will ask the vet do another cbc but they always come back normal. I am afraid to give him a rabies shot because if his immune system is not strong it might do some damage and I heard that vaccinations can cause seizures, as well as revolution prevention etc. Not sure what to do. I thought it was the revolution as the first one happened 2 weeks after using the product then he didn't have another until June, 2 weeks after using the product again. I am not sure what it is because in 2008 he used this product with no issues. Is there any advice that could be shared here as what to do?? My dogs are walked twice daily and never left alone outdoors. They are often out with me, love car rides in their car seat but are never alone outside. So do I skip the rabies shot, do I try another medication other than Revolution? I do love my vet, he saved Theo's life but sometimes I feel that I am asking him too many questions (even though he answers them all). I do a lot of research and sometimes there are things I mention that he has not heard of. Gosh this is so long I will stop now. Please if anyone can give some tips or info I would truly appreciate it. I love my dogs so much. I just finished a second round of chemo and these dogs have been at my side the entire time and I would give anything for them. Breaks my heart to see Theo suffer even though he seems so normal right after the seizures. Oh one more thing, I am going to get the vet to start some kind of meds but don't want anything to toxic are there such drugs out there that help with seizures but are not damaging to the liver and such? Thanks so much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chemo. Our babies can be such a great comfort in times like those. My heart goes out to you and Theo. I completely understand what you're going through. I have battled for 2 years with my baby. They feel his were brought on by his vaccines, and possibly some part of his issues may be congenital, they just don't know. He has them on average of once a month, though he did go 4.5 months without one, but he's also had them as close as a week apart. He seems to go in clusters, and at certain times of the year. One thing that can be very helpful is to keep a journal. Document what he eats, how he acts before his seizures and try to see if you can find a "trigger" for them. For our baby, it's noise, which is extremely difficult to control because there are noises all around him constantly. My boys name is Nanook and he has Auditory Hyperesthesia (basically an overload of his auditory senses which leads to seizures). He had meningoencephalitis as a puppy and was treated for it until he was almost a year old. He was on all kinds of medications, and they were killing him. We were given a few days with him when he was about 10 months old and had internal bleeding requiring a blood transfusion, then battled Anemia for a several weeks after. I won't go in to all the details, but we started seeing a Holistic vet, who saved his life. He was on Prednisone, Phenobarbital and Azathioprine for months as a pup, but the Holistic vet weaned him off of that and now controls the seizures with Chinese Herbs, so no side effects or liver damage.

One thing I will mention is that Doxies are predisposed to Epilepsy. But that being said, it could also be an immune mediated response to the vaccines. Seizuring dogs should not be vaccinated, and any vet who is up on current treatments should know that. Also, make sure they never give him an antibiotic called Baytril (a very common antibiotic). A good majority of vets will tell you it's fine, but it most definitely is not. This is a warning from Bayer itself, the company who makes Baytril:

http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthc....0.html#c14558

There are other medications and antibiotics that can increase seizure activity and/or lower the seizure threshold. Just do your research and don't just blindly listen/follow what's being prescribed. We have found that out the hard way.

Most vets will titre test now to make sure the levels are current. Your boy has had plenty of vaccines, he should be good. Nanook doesn't get vaccines or any treatment for heartworm, ticks or fleas. I have many, many good links regarding seizures, possible causes, treatments etc. If you would like them, let me know and I'll be happy to post them for you. If this were something that just came on all of a sudden, I would say it could be an underlying illness such as a liver shunt, or other illnesses that can cause seizures. But since you have been battling the seizures for a few years with no other concerns, it would most likely be either Epilepsy, an immune response to the vaccines (encephalitis etc) or a neurological disorder (other than Epilepsy). Again, if you would like the links, or would like more info on what we've been through, just let me know. Good luck to you and Theo

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
This is just a thought. Given that my ACD had a number of Grand mal seizures bought on by pain from a gastric ulcer, I wonder could other types of pain cause them also? In Dachshunds the one I'd think of is back pain, and I'm not suggesting this is what it is with your dog, Kasianni, I imagine you'd see other signs if it was that. Just curious, if anyone knows the answer? Incidentally, this girl of mine had a mast cell tumour and such tumours release chemicals that cause gastric ulcers. I imagine there are many reasons a dog could start to sieze though and your vet is probably the one who might pinpoint why it's happening. I did have Susie on Phenomav all her life and we had no further seizures, but hers were severe and ongoing until we medicated her. She didn't die of liver failure, she was sent to the Bridge because of very painful bone cancer years later. A friend's Shih Tzu has much milder fits and her vet doesn't want to put her on med's. I think I'd be led by what my vet wants, though maybe not on vaccines.
Hi there! First, I am sorry to hear that your Susie went to the bridge.
Funny you mention a back issue. Theo has a calcified disc near his neck. Vet found it during an x-ray. Its only one. I have yet to see any issues arise from this. I am however really careful with the dogs since they are Dachshunds and are prone to back issues. No jumping, climbing stairs, I even took my bed frame down and have the mattress on the floor. I only use a harness, no collar so he can't pull and hurt his neck/back. His seizures are sometimes months apart sometimes only 2 months apart. I will speak with the vet in depth. (Oh he is so not going to like me for this) but Theo is worth it and I want to find out what is causing them. Thing is epilepsy/seizures are hard to diagnosis from what I hear. I am clueless. Thank you so very much for your input, appreciate it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM

Hi Rgeurts! Thanks so much for all the info, is very helpful. Sure I'd love to have to have some of those links. The more I can learn the better. Seems you have been though quite a journey yourself with Nanook. (love the name) Its terrible to see them suffer like that, isn't it.
I am scared to use the Revolution now. I wonder if there is a natural product that can protect him from heart worms, fleas and such. Question, if it was that product causing the seizures, would they not have stopped when I stopped using the product? I only use it from May thru November as we don't need it during the winter. I love my vet but he had always insisted on vaccinations every year however, the last were in 2009, as a few other vets told me every 3 years is fine. I will speak with him again and if he does not agree I might have to find another vet that will understand and try harder to find a solution. I do love him but Theo is more important than anything else. Wow, I didn't know about baytril, thanks for the info. Yes, its been over 2 years now I am dealing with the seizures and other than that, he is full of life, and energetic and such a loving dog. I don't see any other problems with his health. I really need to find a solution. What scares me is if he has a seizure in the middle of the night that does not end. They use to be very short and as I said the last 2 were longer ones and he started another one almost right after the first one but they didn't last long at all. I find the ice that I use on the middle back works really well for cooling him down. The last 2 times he was panting which he never has done before. I wonder why they are getting worse. Do you know if there is a medication the vet can give to me in an emergency situation if the seizure lasts more then 5 minutes, so I can give it to him and then get him to an emergency vet? This scares me to death, I am alone and these middle of the night seizures freak me out. They are usually late at night or early morning. I think he has only had 1 during the day. Why is it that these things always happen at night when the vets are closed. Sigh. Thank you again for everything and any more info you can share will be appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
I haven't dealt with a dog that has had seizures, but a few things in my checklest would be first to find a way, if possible, to get the vet to write a waiver for the rabies vaccine. Maybe run rabies titers to show still has immunity if your vet is not sure.

I would want a thyroid panel done on any seizure dog.

I wouldn't use Revolution. For heartworm, Interceptor at 1/5 the normal dose is called Safeheart and is used for HW only, which is what I've used for many years. Problem though is that most areas can't get Interceptor right now.

I admittedly am paranoid about tick diseases, so in any undiagnosed seizure dog, I would run a trial of doxycycline before starting seizure meds, which would be a grand experiment and not one likely that any vet would agree to.
Hi I am hesitant to use the Revolution, but I also would not want him to get heart worms, or ticks, fleas, etc. I will mention it to the vet. I am all for protection but I wonder if there is a natural product for them. What kills me is the label. Says not to get it on our hands as it is toxic, well obviously if its toxic to us, its the same for the dogs. I think my vet pushes Revolution or Advantage multi, both toxic. I will see what he says. What is doxycycline? Also, if the Revolution was causing seizures would they not stop when I don`t use the product during the winter months? Thank you for your info.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

When Susie had her Grand mal seizures my vet wanted it stopped totally if it was possible because he said more seizures just help develope pathways in the brain that allow them to go on fitting. I don't like the sound of your dog starting to go from one seizure, straight into another, because that was what Susie did, in a much worse way. To stop her we were given valium from memory, to be delivered rectally by syringe the minute we saw her starting to act like another seizure was going to occur. That headed one off, but you couldn't do it once they were actually fitting. When the vet knew she was going to keep fitting, as I say, she was put on Phenomav.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Hi Rgeurts! Thanks so much for all the info, is very helpful. Sure I'd love to have to have some of those links. The more I can learn the better. Seems you have been though quite a journey yourself with Nanook. (love the name) Its terrible to see them suffer like that, isn't it.
I am scared to use the Revolution now. I wonder if there is a natural product that can protect him from heart worms, fleas and such. Question, if it was that product causing the seizures, would they not have stopped when I stopped using the product? I only use it from May thru November as we don't need it during the winter. I love my vet but he had always insisted on vaccinations every year however, the last were in 2009, as a few other vets told me every 3 years is fine. I will speak with him again and if he does not agree I might have to find another vet that will understand and try harder to find a solution. I do love him but Theo is more important than anything else. Wow, I didn't know about baytril, thanks for the info. Yes, its been over 2 years now I am dealing with the seizures and other than that, he is full of life, and energetic and such a loving dog. I don't see any other problems with his health. I really need to find a solution. What scares me is if he has a seizure in the middle of the night that does not end. They use to be very short and as I said the last 2 were longer ones and he started another one almost right after the first one but they didn't last long at all. I find the ice that I use on the middle back works really well for cooling him down. The last 2 times he was panting which he never has done before. I wonder why they are getting worse. Do you know if there is a medication the vet can give to me in an emergency situation if the seizure lasts more then 5 minutes, so I can give it to him and then get him to an emergency vet? This scares me to death, I am alone and these middle of the night seizures freak me out. They are usually late at night or early morning. I think he has only had 1 during the day. Why is it that these things always happen at night when the vets are closed. Sigh. Thank you again for everything and any more info you can share will be appreciated.
UGH... I had this open all day, adding a little to it each time I had a few minutes. But when I hit submit, it logged me out and lost everything

I'll have to go through it again when I get home and respond then, so sorry!! But in the meantime, one importnant thing or you is the question regarding medication for an emergency... Absolutely there is!! And I'm quite surprised your vet has not offered you something, especially with Theo having 2 seizures back to back

We give Nookie Valium, rectally. The syringe has a rubber tip that you stick in the bum. Most things I have read say it takes 14-15 minutes to work, but with Nookie, it's almost instant. It pulls him right out the seizure. It's very common to give valium after a seizure to help prevent additional seizures. It's commonly given to dogs with more risk of cluster (which sounds close to what your Theo was starting - 2 or more seizures in a 24 hour period) and status eplilepticus (one seizure lasting more than 5-10 minutes or several seizures with no breaks in between). I'll have to give you all the links and info again later this eve. Maybe see if your vet can give you some valium to help ease your mind

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:20 PM

UGH... I had this open all day, adding a little to it each time I had a few minutes. But when I hit submit, it logged me out and lost everything

That has happened to me a few times, so now before I send anything I just copy it then send. Has saved so much time for me.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I've done that several times. Usually when it happens I can hit the back button, then copy and paste, but it lost it this time

Ok, here are some good links for seizures. Even though your boy hasn't been diagnosed with Epilepsy, the info here will help. I would tend to think his is Epilepsy, though. Possibly brought on by the vaccines. But considering he has no other medical issues, I would think it's probably, in part, due to being a Doxie as they are predisposed to it.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

This is the oral and rectal protocol for Valium to help control cluster seizures and Status Epilepticus:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/FAQ.htm

That website gives GREAT info on pretty much everything when it comes to dogs that are prone to seizures. Here are a few more links:

http://www.canine-seizures.freeservers.com/
http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Resources.html
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...pathic_genetic

These links have some info on natural HW prevention:

http://www.alternativeheartwormcure.com/index.html
http://www.theherbsplace.com/Heartwo...on_sp_104.html

I can't say if it works or not because I haven't tried it. But there might be something here that will help. You asked if stopping the drug would stop any seizures. It could, but if Theo is having an immune reaction, chances are the seizures would continue even after the treatment stopped. That's what happened to Nookie (he's affectionately known as Nookie Monster ) . He will never be "ok" and will have immune issues the rest of his life. We have to be so careful what we give him. He's never alone, not even for 1/2 hour. When we work, he goes to daycare. When we go on holidays, he goes with us, or we don't go. He requires a lot of special care.

And as for the annual vaccines, these are links that were recently posted by another member who was responding to a possible vaccine related issue. These links are a very good read:

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...uidelines.aspx
http://tollchester.tripod.com/vaccine.html

If your vet is still insisting on annual vaccines, it's most likely for 1 of 2 reasons:

1. He is not up to date on current vaccine protocols, which would worry me and make me think he isn't too concerned with continuing education
2. He knows the protocols, but like so many other vets, refuses to adapt because the annual vaccines are the "bread and butter" for a lot of clinics

Either way, I think I would be looking for another vet. He may have done well for Theo, and even saved his life, in the past. But he isn't doing anything good for him (or you), at this point. In fact, by insisting on the annuals, he could be putting his life in danger, especially with the seizures.

I would also avoid putting him on anything to control the seizures at this point as he doesn't have them frequently (unless he starts to have clusters). The rule of thumb for seizures is anything less than 1 per month, the risks of the drugs outweigh the benefit. A lot of dogs die due to liver toxicity and organ damage before they die from seizures. Nookie goes through "phases" where he will have 2-3 in a month for a couple of months, then goes back to 1 a month, or less. Our vet said as long as he isn't seizuring more than once every 3 weeks, frequently, we will just control them with the Chinese herbs. His seem to be seasonal as well (more seizures in the spring than any other time, up to this point anyway). He does have allergies as well, which can also bring a seizure on. One thing you may find helpful, and even get you some "Aha!" moments, would be to keep a daily journal. Write down what he eats, treats, activities and anything that seems odd. You may notice a pattern and may even be able to come up with a trigger for the seizures, which in turn, might help to lessen them. With our Nookie, his are noise related (he has a lot of neurological damage/issues). Our vet thinks he has Auditory and Tactile Hyperesthesia. That just means that his sense of sound and touch become so overly sensitive that it causes a seizure. The touch part is fairly easy, we just don't touch his bum or tail. But the noise is another story... it's hard to avoid when it's all around. But again, the journal may help you, over time, establish a pattern and/or trigger(s).

One thing you should check is his thyroid. If your vet has ever tested it, chances are he just did a T4, not a full panel. If Theo is in the low normal range (which is where Nookie was), the seizures can become more frequent and more severe. A great place to have it tested is Hemopet in California. Dr. Jean Dodds is the authority when it comes to thyroid and immune-mediated diseases as well as Vaccinosis (immune disease brought on by vaccines). She not only does the test, but will tailor it specifically for the breed/age, and also take in to consideration any other health issues/medications that may play a part in the results. I'll link the website:

www.hemopet.org

I had more earlier, but I'm exhausted and just can't think straight right now, sorry

I'll try and post some more for you tomorrow. If you have any questions at all, please let me know

Last edited by Rgeurts; May 3rd, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM

So much information, thank you so so much. Must have taken a long time to get those links, type it all up. I really appreciate it. I am seeing the vet on Tuesday. I truly hope he will give me something in case of an emergency. I have all the dates of Theo's seizures and how long they were etc. He has had 10 in 2 1/2 years. We've never gone into details about the seizures, he is aware of them but only wanted to treat them if there were more than 1 every 6-8 weeks. Do many vets hesitate to give the Valium?? I am scared he will not give it to me.