Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
he's absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you Bendyfoot. His outside and insides matches..

Regardless, he will be difficult to place based on his age and perhaps that he is going to be high maintenance grooming wise. It really doesn't matter though - once a foster is here -they stay until adopted. So who knows that may be never which means he would just settle in with my gang.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax your a beautiful soul.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Update on Riza

Well we all love happy endings so I thought I would share with you what happened to Riza......

Riza was adopted!!! Oh yes indeed....I am but yet,,,,,a foster failure.

Reeses (for Reeses Pieces) was never wanted. No one applied for him so I decided that he is now part of our 'pack'.

As it turns out, Reeses has fit in very well. The pack has accepted him and he them. They all sleep together, play together and it is like he has been here forever. He even comes to see me in the morning by just standing on me, looking down as if to say - ok kid - time to get up.

We have a routine as well. Reeses needs 'his' time. His favourite thing is for me to sling him over my shoulder and just walk around. Every morning he sits on the bathroom vanity and watches me put on my make up. He talks sooooo much and every now and then he kisses my cheek. I am so very fond of him and he of me...........finally!

Reeses is an amazing boy. I am very fortunate to have him in my life and poohy on everyone who snubbed him because of his age. I have to tell you that he is not just a cat - he is almost human like - he's special.

So there you have it. Reeses is doing great and we are one happy family.

5 cats..............ok no more!!! (yeah right!)
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
-

Congrats Benmax, so glad to hear that it all worked out for him ......hey what's one more
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:52 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

BenMax, I am so happy you have finally reached the decision I figured you would make from the getgo. Reeses is one gorgeous and very lucky kitty!! You are lucky to have him too.
5 cats ... be careful!! I had 5 at one time.....

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww, congratulations! I'm so happy to see things have worked out so well. He deserves to spend his older years with someone who loves him and with other cats who will keep him company.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Chris, 14+ and AncientGirl. I am happy about it as well. We had so many cats come into rescue lately and my hand got forced a little. If I did not keep him, we would have had to say no to another cat needing help. So I decided what the heck. Everyone has settled in very well and really he is no trouble at all. If anything - he has brought me alot of joy.

I took him to be groomed and it made a very big difference for his self esteem. Once given a gorgeous lion cut he was out and about. I think he was feeling yukky.

So .... you knew I would keep Reeses 14+.... how did you know?
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Thank you Chris, 14+ and AncientGirl. I am happy about it as well. We had so many cats come into rescue lately and my hand got forced a little. If I did not keep him, we would have had to say no to another cat needing help. So I decided what the heck. Everyone has settled in very well and really he is no trouble at all. If anything - he has brought me alot of joy.

I took him to be groomed and it made a very big difference for his self esteem. Once given a gorgeous lion cut he was out and about. I think he was feeling yukky.

So .... you knew I would keep Reeses 14+.... how did you know?
Poor guy, I bet all that matted fur was making him feel bad. Will we get a picture of Reeses in his new cut?

I have to say, I sometimes look around, when all my gang are together, like in the kitchen or in my room and I think, "Holy crap, I have 5 cats!!!!" But I say that smiling and knowing that were they not with me, they might be in the streets or in a home where they are not taken care of. So I tell myself, "5 cats isn't so much." If I had a bigger place and could afford it, I'd make it an even 6.

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

BenMax, almost from the very first you mentioned you could not be a foster failure. You put so much effort into trying to get this guy to trust you it was bound to happen. How can you not fall in love with an animal you have spent so much time with?

He was basically the same as working with a semi feral cat. You spend time with them getting them to trust you. You watch their every move and by doing so you become intune with them. You get to know what they are thinking by watching their eyes. Once you do all of that you are lost......... you are theirs.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM

What a wonderful ending It sounds like he's always been there!
I think celebratory pics are in order lol Did he end up getting a haircut?
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

To be honest 14 + I really did not want to be a foster failure. I am not usually with dogs, but I am a huge sucker for cats. Really, they are less work, independant and self sufficient for the most part. The thought of having 5 was not what I planned. At one time I had 21 cats (due to working in the euthanasia room......bad place for an animal lover). It was CRAZY!!! I placed them all (except for my 4 and 4 that passed) but I promised myself never more than 4.

I guess I was convincing myself (and trying to convince Pets members) that I would not fail. How could I possibly come back on and say I was a foster failure if I said I did not want to be???

Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure but I rather be known as foster WINNER! He is wonderful and I brag about him every chance I get. He had me at 'MEOW'.
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Anyways - I blame Jim Hall for this.
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Kitty pimp

ahh well see our just an old softie you are
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
To be honest 14 + I really did not want to be a foster failure. I am not usually with dogs, but I am a huge sucker for cats. Really, they are less work, independant and self sufficient for the most part. The thought of having 5 was not what I planned. At one time I had 21 cats (due to working in the euthanasia room......bad place for an animal lover). It was CRAZY!!! I placed them all (except for my 4 and 4 that passed) but I promised myself never more than 4.

I guess I was convincing myself (and trying to convince Pets members) that I would not fail. How could I possibly come back on and say I was a foster failure if I said I did not want to be???

Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure but I rather be known as foster WINNER! He is wonderful and I brag about him every chance I get. He had me at 'MEOW'.

I guess it's a darn good thing I don't work in a euthanasia room then! I would have more than the 28 I currently feed and house.
Yes, it would be nice to have a reasonable number of cats - 4 or 6 - but sometimes life just doesn't work that way. Then we take what life hands us. You were quite obviously handed Reese!

Old July 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Ben-Max,I had to look way back to see the pic,is Reese the grey Persian??
Either way,Reese is a lucky boy to get a great home
Old July 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
-

Quote:
Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure
Welcome to the family BM congratulation on your new addition
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Benmax, I love you .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Benmax what a gorgeous boy! What no pics of the Lion Cut? Come on now! I need to see a pic of that! My mom used to have a Himmi named Tippy pure white like the commercials! she would get him shaved down into the lion cut and he would hide for days after! he was all pink underneath the white fur!

Congrats MF! actually Thank you for being another kitty angel!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I so glad! I was reading this starting from the beginnin again and was thinking...well if she can get him up here I would take him rather than have him go to a shelter. But I am so happy that he is going to stay with u as I was worried about him having to adjust to a new place all over again. *doing the happy dance* I'm so glad that everyone is getting along...THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Catlover2

BenMax, you're an You won Reese over and gained his trust, and he is well settled and comfortable with your other cats and his "new" mom. So glad you are able keep him. Kudos to you!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for your stamp of approval. I just could not think of re-homing him to be honest. I think that he would be very confused and upset if he went somewhere else to start this whole process all over again. For a cat that is used to living alone with no other animals - he is doing GREAT! He hisses at my foster pup - but that's about it. He has intergrated very well - well above my expectations AND he LOVES ME!!!! I really adore this cat and even though you should not have favorites - he is mine. I love him to bits and he has enhanced my life with his funny antics and his innocence.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement, words of wisdom and advice. Everything worked out just the way it was suppose to.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,I just read all the posts right from the start and I think I realize Riza and Reese are the same kitty,so glad you decided he'd go nowhere else,I just love foster-failures
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Kitty pimp

you big old softie you sometimes it meant to be karma fate the gods w/ever
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Molly's mama

oh wow, I have just read this thread for the first time. Good for you, BenMax, for following your heart. plz can you post some "after makeover" shots of Reese???
Now you've REALLY got me thinking about 2 kittens... darn it!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
oh wow, I have just read this thread for the first time. Good for you, BenMax, for following your heart. plz can you post some "after makeover" shots of Reese???
Now you've REALLY got me thinking about 2 kittens... darn it!
If I can do it - you can do it!!! Really one more cat for me really did not make a big difference. It was the number 5 that scared me. Once I got over that -it was a no brainer!

So '5' is now my lucky number!

I will get some good pics of Reesey for sure and post. He is such a happy boy!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Yeah what's one more when you hit that number.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,I am really happy for Reeses,wherever you go,Pet-Smart,HS and other places there are kitties needing homes,it's just heartbreaking,there are just too many.
My vet has the most beautiful muted orange kitty,a cuddly friendly boy.
He's declawed on all four pawsbut nobody wants to adopt him
It's very difficult to be a needy kitty these days,but beautiful Reese has a great home now,thank's BenMax