Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:50 AM

Energy Spirts or Butt-tucking

My 9 month old Chocolate female goes into these energy runs where listening to HERE is not a option untill she settles down. This will either happen in the house or in the back yard. What do you do in this situation? Do you let her just do it? Do you control it by having her on lead all the time so that if she does get into that situation you can control it or is this something that happens and the pup will eventual grow out of it?

Thanks,

Wesley
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM

Sometimes puppies just need to "burn"! Why is this a problem for you? Is your yard fenced? If so, let the pup off leash and burn it out. If not, you can get a long lead and let the puppy run.
They do eventually mature out of this for the most part, but even older dogs sometimes just gotta run!! My lab and my boxer are both known for their laps around the yard if they haven't had enough exercise.
Oh yeah- I have a "puppy 500" track in my house unfortunately (ie- you can run around in a big circle from room to room and never have to turn around... like a race track). I usually keep one baby gate up so that they can't get going and if they do show that they want to run, I put them in the backyard.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

In the rottweiler world, that is refered to as the ZOOMIES! Enjoy them! When was the last time you saw a human express that much sheer joy at just being alive?

As your puppy grows older, zoomies will happen less fequently. If you take training seriously, then someday you will be able to stop the zoomies with a word. But I sure don't know why you would want to.

My little pom gets zoomies and it is quite a sight to see! He tucks his tail down and runs around the house full speed - growling the whole time! It is a hoot!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Mine turned two this past January and still has Zoomies. In fact, she had one the other day. I just lift my feet and any breakables onto the couch so I don't get trampled. I think it's cute and funny!!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM

My man got a pic of Boo mid-zoomie... He still does it and he's huge and 5 years old. Not in the house though- but outside, he goes on these solo running rampages...
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

My bridgegirl Callie was still doing the zoomies daily at 9 years old, and to me there is nothing more wonderful to watch than a senior enjoying the thrill of living Callies running days ended when in a turn her legs slid out from under her, she tore the ligament and later found cancer in the same leg, she was unable to use that leg and the other was to weak to support herself on her own, the loss of being able to run took it toll on her emotionally and she sunk into a deep depression. On the day she was to croos the bridge I gave her an extra dose of pain meds and instead of the usual leash walk, I sped up the pace supporting her backend with a custom harness, the faster she went the more her eyes lit up, so picked up the pace to my fastest speed to allowing her to run one last time, the joy and happiness stayed on her face right till she crossed the bridge, to some running is very much living . My newest girl is almost 4 now she also loves letting loose, but when I first got her(18 months old) she was so shy and scared it was tough getting her out of my bedroom never mind outside, it took her almost a year before she gained enough confidence to enjoy herself and play and start zoomiing around the yard and she does not stop till lungs are spent and by then she is making yipping noises as she exhales
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Speaking of zoomies, we had one tonight where all the cushions on the couch ended up on the floor. Then we went outside and had zoomies with a stick. Then we came back into the house where our kibble was stalking us (we grabbed a few in our mouth, then threw them on the floor and jumped back and forth at them because they were chasing us).
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM

Trigs our pittie and Dory the papi both do this, I sometimes still have trouble getting Dory to listen while she's running, but Trigs grew out of that, he gets the zoomies, but will listen when called. We always made sure we had a special treat, something that he really wanted, and now even if he's having too much fun, he listens. Just takes consistancy. They're so fun to watch!

Hey Prin, Boo looks so happy! Nice pic.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM

lol I don't think that's happiness, but his skin stretching out from the speed...

Jesse's mommy, my doggies get the stick zoomies all the time. I have pics but I've posted so many this week, my quota is up.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Bud is 4 and still does the zoomies but when he does it you better be standing out of the way he thinks he is really agile but sometimes he doesn't quite make the corners and wipes you out. I have learned to move out of the way, but they actually look like they are smiling when they do it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM

That's so funny. I doubt if I can accurately picture a mastiff plowing through pummelling everybody, but what I can is pretty hilarious. Throw in a couple of big dog low, innocent WOOFs as he's doing it and I'm rolling on the floor.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:25 AM

Red face

Misty loves the zoomies... she goes up one end of the couch and over the head of the poor person sitting on the other end. She loves it. We dont' have a fenced in back yard, so on leash she goes, we take her across the road (large open field) and lets her go. She can't wait. Usually after supper and most people are getting ready for bed is when they hit her. She's a little over a year old... I crack up laughing at her...
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't forget the flying slobber that is the finishing touch when you get hit with it. I really don't feel dressed if I don't have dog hair and drool on me somewhere
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
Lucy's daddy

Lucy has made a Formula 1 race track out of my living room. The lap-line is her pee-pad and her Pit-stop is the crate where she can drink water and pump up for the next few laps!

On her way she has the expensive plant to jump on and take a bite from, the coffee-table to dodge by laying low and sliding under it, and the closet-door to smash into in order to slow down!

It's the funniest scene that never loses its freshness.

Of course if I call her name she'll drop-dead and pretent to be paralized hoping for a treat!

Lovely moments...

Last edited by Soroush; March 23rd, 2006 at 01:38 AM.