Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM

Exclamation bleeding lump

My dog just had her first litter of puppies and it was her first heat. Her puppies are now 2 weeks old and I noticed a huge lump in between two of her boobies. I took her to the vet today and the veternarian administered her a shot and gave us some antibiotics to give her. She hasn't been given the medication yet, the vet visit was today and and a little while ago I noticed that she was bleeding protrusively out of the lump. The lump is about the size of a baseball and is hard as a rock. I'm very worried. The vet didn't seem to know what he was talking about and I didn't get all of my questions answered. I'm worried for my dog's safety and the safety of her puppies because I'm worried that if it is some kind of infection that it is infecting her milk because of the lump's location. Somebody please give me some answers I don't know what to do.:sad:

Last edited by dixiesmom; May 22nd, 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add smiley
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Go see another vet and at the same time make an appointment to get your dog spayed after she has weaned her pups...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM

I would see another vet too. If she has mastitis (mammary infection) the pups shouldn't be nursing, and I would be wary of having her on antibiotics when they are nursing, as traces of the antibiotics will end up in her milk. It sounds like it could be an abscess. If your vet isn't giving you any answers, I would definitely get a second opinion.

And I would definitely get her spayed after this litter.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:04 PM

I second what Shaykeija said - get to the vet ASAP and as soon as the puppies are weaned, spay her!! You obviously do not know what you are doing and in no way, shape or form should a bitch ever be bred on her first heat. Its best to leave breeding to the experienced and educated.

that she is ok and gets better soon!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
Rottie Lover

It definitely sounds like it could be a mammary infection to me but I don't understand how you didn't notice it sooner if it is already the size of a baseball. Either go see another vet or phone yours up to ask about the bleeding. I also agree that you need to get her spayed and don't you know that you never breed on the first heat. Dogs are not completely grown and it is like getting a 12 year old girl pregnant, very bad!