Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Cats has dried, crusty red discharge in both eyes .. Ongoing

Hello!

I have 2 cats, the younger, Sunny a long hair domestic male whom is 8 years old, consistantly for most of his life has had a red coloured discharge from his eyes. The best way to describe it is that it looks like dried blood.

The only discomfort he seems to have is my forcing him to stay still, to wipe said crust clean He's had it his whole life and he's quite a content, active and vibrant animal. I was told this was typical with cats of his colour (orange and white) but was wondering what causes it, anything I can do to lessen it.

My other net research would make me think that he is possibly part persian, whom this tearing is typical of. Any other characteristics I should look for to determine if this I the case?

Thanks from both me and Sunny, who will be quite happy if I chase him with a damp rag less often
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Has he been seen by a vet? If not, take him immediately. Things that keep repeating need to be investigated and treated.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Thanks Badger. It's not a repeat issue, it's ongoing and has been present at each one of his vet visits throughout his life, it's not something that goes away and comes back, it's just the way he is.

Other then this issue being unsightly (which I have neglected to inquire specifically about with the vet and has raised no red-flags at check-ups) he is a perfectly healthy cat and shows no signs of ill-health. Just to be clear - his eyes aren't bleeding, just what the discharge/tears looks like when dried.

I'm just more curious what causes it (especially in one cat and not the other) or about 'tearing' and if there is anything I can do to lessen it, or we can just continue to deal with it has we have over the last 8 years
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, got that wrong! Have you considered allergies? May not be related, but someone mentioned that when they switched their dog's diet (a ****zu?), the 'coloured tears' went away.
Old June 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM

My old girl'Jasmine' RIP always had tears(since she was a tiny kitten) and they were red crusty, she was a black smoke tabby our vet said she had open tear ducts nothing to be done, just wipe away, sorry thats all the help I can offer
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Kitty Consort

Riki, I've never heard that this problem was related to colour of the cat. doubt that is a factor really.

As its been an ongoing issue for all his life,..I'm guessing Sunny is part Persian, and this is more likely where this stems from.

As you've noted, eye drainage is extremely common with this breed.
Though some dont have it, most do. How much varies from mild to severe.
My Persian cat has minimal eye running... just an occassional wipe is fine. The Himalayan need dailly eye cleaning.

It's not a health issue - providing there is no indication of green discharge present, indicating infection, or the eye itself doesnt appear red or sore looking. That would naturally require vet attention.

But for the rusty coloured discharge, which does look like dried blood.. regularly wiping the eye when needed with a warm wet cloth ( no soap) as you've been doing, is all that required.

That's all I've ever done as well, and after six years, neither has ever had an eye infection or any health issues related to this

If left unattended, over time it would get heavlily crusted,the eyes would become sore, infections would follow. Some persian cats whose care has been badly neglected can have absolutely terrible looking eyes, and severe facial staining.

I dont believe there's anything that can lessen or eliminate this tearing, unfortunately.

For the fur staining, which cant be avoided completely in light coloured cats,.. especially as they get older, I just use a face cloth with a bit of mild soap to cleanse,..carefully avoiding the eye of course. There's also several commercial products available, such as Eye Envy, which apparently work well.
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

It's not unusual for white poodles to have those red stains. None of the four white poodles I have had over the last 40 years have had this problem, but I've known several that did. My grooming book says this is caused by oxidation of the tears. It stands to reason that if eye boogers aren't removed, they build up, dry, and irritate, causing tearing, causing oxidation, causing the red color.
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Here's a thread about tear stains that might help: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23727
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Performance Spaniels

I have a blond cocker with rust coloured tear stains. In finding a food that meshed with her, the tear stains left. Wasn't till the poop got smaller and stayed 'firm' that the tear stains left. And this month they have.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

Nose and Eye boogers

My cat has a similar problem. She has dry reddish black colored crust that builds up mostly in her nose. She also gets the crust in her eyes. I got her from a shelter this past summer and she has had the problem since. I need to clean her eyes and nose on a daily basis. She is very happy and never appears sick. I recently took her to the vet who tested her for HIV, Leukemia, and Bartonella. The results were all negative. After looking on the web, these symptoms sound like cat herpes to me. I don't know if I should take her back to the vet or just accept that she is fine and has a problem with boogers! By the way, she is an orange, black, and white cat!! Maybe it does have something to do with the color!!
If you look at the picture below, you can see the dark spots inside her nose. Her nose naturally has brown spots on the outside.
Attached Images

Last edited by abushoven; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: adding information
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:34 AM

If it's nothing medical, a diet change might help. Better quality food tends to reduce tear stains in dogs, so it might in kitties too.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:48 AM
-

First of all, welcome to the forum, abushoven and you have a very cute kitty.

I would take her back to the vet to be checked for feline herpes as there is medication for that. Good luck and please post eith an update.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Could be an eye infection. My feral had one that is now clearing up, but I had to put ointment in his eyes twice a day for 2 weeks.
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM

I have a 3 year old exotic short hair male cat. Since the day I brought him home he has had the red discharge from his eyes and nose. Mostly his eyes. In my reading I've found it could be a form of herpes which are specific to cats only. I have tried many different eye meds ointments and drops but it comes back every time. If the read colouration is herpes than there is no cure. Unfortunately all one can do is try to keep the eyes clean.