Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Honest Kitchen Food -- Is it good?

Hi everyone, I have been feeding my dog Nature's Variety frozen raw food and he seemed to like it but I am concerned about bacteria. I have researched it and there could be some bacteria present in frozen raw so I do not want to take a chance anymore. My dog hates kibble. I tried various premium kibbles like Orijen and he really does not like it.

Can anyone tell me if dogs like the Honest Kitchen food? They have Thrive, Embark, and Force. http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/

Is it tasty for them and is it healthy to feed only that?

Help please?
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:27 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Smile honest kitchen food is GR8

Before i say anything about honest kitchen food i am hoping that you meant 'i have been feeding my dogs shop bought food, but am wondering whether to give my dog home made meals.' if that was your meaning, read on.

i heard that some people who give their dogs as you say 'honest kitchen food' will never go back to shop bought. They say their dogs are healthier, happier and more alert than ever before. so i've heard.
soter

good luck with food
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandikiss View Post
Hi everyone, I have been feeding my dog Nature's Variety frozen raw food and he seemed to like it but I am concerned about bacteria.
Thing is, there's bacteria everywhere. This paranoia we've developed over all the big bad bacteria isn't all that practical. The digestive system of a healthy dog is quite capable of handling a higher bacteria load than humans can, so I personally wouldn't be concerned. Just look at some of the stuff dogs eat - poop, dirt, garbage, long dead squirrel carcass. Frozen raw meat is practically sterile in comparison. Has your dog been doing well on the NV? If yes, I wouldn't change a thing. The Honest Kitchen, while not a bad food, is still a processed food. If you do decide to try it, I would at least supplement with raw. There's nothing better, for people or animals, than fresh food.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soter View Post
Before i say anything about honest kitchen food i am hoping that you meant 'i have been feeding my dogs shop bought food, but am wondering whether to give my dog home made meals.' if that was your meaning, read on.
FYI - Honest Kitchen is a BRAND of dehydrated raw food.

brandikiss - as far as ingredients go I think they use some really great stuff in there, I like that it's organic and GMO-free. And the Whole Dog Journal approves which is always nice to see However, I think feeding dehydrated raw kind of defeats the purpose of feeding raw. As sugarcatmom said, it is still a processed food. I see on their site they do suggest adding some fresh veggies and meat to it, so I would at least do that if you decide to try it.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Smile Thanks!

Thanks! How is it processed? It's not cooked, just dehydrated. But I see what you mean.. I guess.
So I would add some raw stuff with it?
My dog likes the Nature's Variety raw foods and my dog is so picky so I am happy that he does, plus while I've been feeding it to him, I've noticed pigmentation spots on his stomach are disappearing. They appeared suddenly and were all over his skin but now are disappearing. I'm so happy!
Now I am hoping to continue on Nature's Variety only because it is cheaper than Honest Kitchen.

I understand that dogs can handle bacteria better, BUT it is bacteria. That can't be good. A little or a lot. Can't be good. I just worry because I don't want him to get sick. He's so sweet and only a little guy.