Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Littermaid in the Montreal area

Anyone know where I can buy a Littermaid locally and which store would have the best price?
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Littermaid... you're talking about the auto-cleaning litter boxes? I have NO CLUE where to buy in your area (ya, i'm alot of help...sorry).

I contemplated getting one, then read up on them and customer reviews.... and I urge you to do the same - they are quite pricey ($100+) and they BREAK. Some break after one use. The rake gets clogged, doesn't function properly, and I've read many horror stories regarding the company. don't expect them to go out of their way to replace any parts, replace the whole thing, or give any money back.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up before spending alot of money.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Thanks for the feedback. Wanted to use it while I'm away at Xmas for a week, since I don't have anyone nearby to feed and clean up after them. Was going to use a timed feeder and littermaid to babysit while I'm gone...and hopefully try to have someone come by to make sure the cats are ok.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
-

Ottawa has them if you make it up here often. You may also want to check online. You may even be able to order them directly from the company.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
-

Try pet supply house, they seem to have everything.
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Rottie owner and lover

at relieve du maitre on st johns they have it. I do not know the price though. I personally think it is not worth the money. Alot simpler to clean a litterbox
Old December 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, I've got one. It was given to me by a lady who used it for 2 months and then decided that she like the old fashion way of scooping. I never used it,
but If you want it you can have it. Please feel free to email me for details and I would ask that instead of giving me money please give an animal rescue a donation instead.
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I would also NEVER leave 2 cats alone for a week,with nobody checking on them,you might come back home to a horror-story.
IMO,I would say it borders on abandonment,not something I would ever consider.
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree - well, maybe not the abandonment part. Alot can happen in a week. Can you not find someone to drop by once a day, clear the litterbox and put down their food? Wish I lived closer, I'd offer to do it myself!
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I would say it borders on abandonment
i think you should keep your accusations to yourself.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I agree - well, maybe not the abandonment part. Alot can happen in a week. Can you not find someone to drop by once a day, clear the litterbox and put down their food? Wish I lived closer, I'd offer to do it myself!
there's truly no one nearby who can check on them daily...and I can't take them with me.
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Monman,maybe abandonment was a bit harsh,but there are other options..
also,opinions is what Forums are for.
You can hire a bonded pet-sitting service,or a kennel,if you have nobody to look in on the cats.Yes,it costs money,but better safe than sorry.
Automatic feeder,automatic litterbox,numerous things could go wrong:sad:
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Cats are fine to be left alone for a weekend.But that's it.A week is way to long for them to be on their own.

I would definately look into a bonded pet sitter or have them boarded.

Do you have a friend or maybe a family member who can take them in for the week?

Please look at all the options.
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I am gone Dec 23 to Dec 26, but can come by after that.

Try JE Mondou in Anjou or another of their bigger stores, I think I saw one there
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

You could probably board your cats at your vet's for not too much more than the cost of the LitterMaid (I have also read reviews that they break). If you cats can share a cage - would depend on cats - that would help with the cost. Possible problem might be space at the inn at this point in time. When we go away even for 3 days, our dog goes to home boarding and out cat to the vet's.
Old December 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

A week is long time, but ATLEAST the cat is indoors, plenty of food and water in dishes. I know people who went away for a week and through there cat outdoors to fend for itself. I'd rather see the cat alone in the house for aweek then outside. Can you please put on the radio to keep your cat company and put your lights on a timer?
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
A week is long time, but ATLEAST the cat is indoors, plenty of food and water in dishes. I know people who went away for a week and through there cat outdoors to fend for itself. I'd rather see the cat alone in the house for aweek then outside. Can you please put on the radio to keep your cat company and put your lights on a timer?
Absolutey, I will leave the radio on and a timer for the lights. Thanks so much for your reasonable advice. And it will probably be no longer than 5 days.
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Poodletalk,I completely disagree even"only"5 days is much too long,but like was said,that is my opinion!!We all know some jerks who would put cats outside to fend for themselves,but that hardly makes it right to leave cats alone for a week,even if they are inside.
I have a hard time leaving mine for an over-night stay somewhere,but then again,that's me and their is nothing reasonable in suggesting to leave cats for 5 days,again,my opinion!!
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, you don't work in resuce, you don't see some pitful cases I see. Yes, I agree five days is long, I wouldn't do it, maybe you wouldn't do it. This person IS doing it. Nothing you are going say or do is changing his or her mind. The only thing you can do is, make sure the five days is comfortable as possible for the cats. Is he going to feed the cats while hes gone? YES. Water available? YES, Lights on when it's dark out? YES. Radio to keep the cats company? YES. Will there be more than one cat alone? YES. It's not perfect Chico, better this then the cats starving and having frost bite on his tails, ears and nose.
Old December 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,I guess you are right,he/she did not really ask if it was ok to leave them for a week,he/she just wanted to find a littermaid.
I have seen my share of abuse and misery,but of course I don't work in rescue...however I love my cats and would not even dream of leaving them alone for that long.
We have our son to come and stay here,but if we did not,I would hire someone to come in,the responsible thing to do.
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I would never leave my cats alone longer than 3 days.

That being said, it would be MUCH better to get a bunch of disposable litterboxes, along with 2 or 3 large ones filled to the brim with litter than to use the Littermaid.

The noise from it scares some cats, and it can take a lot of time for them to get used to it and it can jam. Just the fact that it's something strange and new may cause your cats to decide to go elsewhere.
You don't want this happening while you're away.

What are you using for water? Make sure there is no chance of it running out.
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

A guy I knew used to leave his cats for 6 weeks, with very few visits. All things being equal, it is not the time to put the cat into a strange environment. He might be a little lonely but if he's got what he needs and is in familiar surroundings, he'll be OK.

Years ago, I left Badger at the vet for ten days. He hissed and spit at the staff, wouldn't eat, went all feral on them! Even hissed at me when I rushed to get him on the eleventh day. Never again, except in a true emergency.
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Okay, Monman is really not going to like my opinion -- if he/she thinks Chico's response was harsh. Basically pet owners need to think about their pets well being BEFORE planning a trip. If you can't find a pet sitter and there are quite a few on the West Island of Montreal, or a neighbor/friend/family member, vet's office, or cattery -- then you shouldn't leave...period!!

NO animal should be unattended beyond a 24 hour period. What if the power goes out, the furnace breaks, your water pipes burst, kitty gets stuck accidently behind the fridge, injures itself while jumping off a counter or appliance or whatever, gets a urinary tract infection and can't pee. All of these situations can and HAVE happened. Cats are known for getting into "trouble" when their owners are gone.

If you're gone for 5 days, 3 days, or a week without someone coming in daily to check on your pet, it's plain and simple, it's neglect. You wouldn't leave a human child for a day alone, so why should you even consider leaving your poor cat.

Goldengirls has offered to come in and care for your kitty - why don't you at least take her up on her offer???
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Nuttinfluffer,I agree,before we book any trip,I make sure my son is available to stay with my cats.
Badger,there are places other than the vet,where cats do not stay in a cage 24/7.I am sure mine would be severely traumatized were they kept in a cage for the time we are gone.
Many people say,cats are independant,they'll be ok!....it could not be more untrue with my cats..
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Buster and Salty's Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
I would never leave my cats alone longer than 3 days.

That being said, it would be MUCH better to get a bunch of disposable litterboxes, along with 2 or 3 large ones filled to the brim with litter than to use the Littermaid.

The noise from it scares some cats, and it can take a lot of time for them to get used to it and it can jam. Just the fact that it's something strange and new may cause your cats to decide to go elsewhere.
You don't want this happening while you're away.

What are you using for water? Make sure there is no chance of it running out.
That's exactly what I'm going to do, use multiple pans rather than the littermaid. And I bought one of those water dispensers that hold several quarts of water.
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM

This thread is closed. The original question was answered.
Closed Thread